It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello there, my name is Chris and I have been on Suboxone for 4 months. I am currently taking 12mg daily. After reading some of the posts on this forum, I have a few questions about the absorption of Suboxone Films. What I do is break up the 8 mg film into two pieces, put them on both sides of my under-tongue, then break a 8mg in half and place it under my tongue after the first round.

Every morning when I wake up, it feels like I am going through withdrawal, with my head feeling really weird and yawning with tears. I rush to drink some water as I was told, and then place the suboxone under my mouth. The weird head feeling instantly goes away once the suboxone is fully dissolved.

I have a few questions regarding absorption of the films:
1) With the film, I place it under my tongue, and sometimes pieces of the broken film fall from where I placed the film on my tongue toward the frenulum linguae, and land on either side of it. For people who don't know what that is, it's the part of the tongue where it looks like the line is connecting the tongue to the floor of the mouth. Is it bad for absorption if the pieces fall from the bottom of my tongue to the frenulum linguae?
2) When the film is dissolving, the film starts to shrivel up. I heard that you won't get the full effect if part of the suboxone film is on top of the other. Is there any way to prevent this shriveling up of the film, or does it not affect the absorption?
3) I am a cigarette smoker. After I spit out the remains of the dissolved liquid, I light up a cigarette, which brings an unpleasant taste. Do Cigarettes affect the absorption of suboxone if I light one up immediately after I spit out the remains?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is there any reason why you choose to spit out the saliva?

It's a common misnomer that we don't absorb any of the Sub we swallow. We actually do still absorb a significant amount of our dose after we swallow it (though not as much as we do sublingual of course).

If you're THAT concerned about absorbtion, I wouldn't spit my dose. Only resort to doing that if you get significantly more side-effects by swallowing, and even then it's a trade-off.

We absorb 30-40% of our Sub sublingually, and 15% orally. By spitting your dose, you are potentially losing up to one third of your dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
Is there any reason why you choose to spit out the saliva?

It's a common misnomer that we don't absorb any of the Sub we swallow. We actually do still absorb a significant amount of our dose after we swallow it (though not as much as we do sublingual of course).

If you're THAT concerned about absorbtion, I wouldn't spit my dose. Only resort to doing that if you get significantly more side-effects by swallowing, and even then it's a trade-off.

We absorb 30-40% of our Sub sublingually, and 15% orally. By spitting your dose, you are potentially losing up to one third of your dose.

I spit it out just because the taste of it can make me nautious, but i'll try and do that again. Wheb I put the Suboxone film on my mouth, am I supposed to leave my mouth open or closed? I feel like too much saliva is gathered with a closed mouth and the pieces of the suboxone fall intp the frenulum which I don't know if that's okay or not.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man it is perfectly fine if the sub falls to the bottom of your mouth under your tongue. You can place sub anywere in your mouth they just recommend you put it under your tongue and the bottom of your mouth is under your tongue so its perfectly fine. Also closed is how i did it but it wont make a differences as long as its in your mouth. One thing i do suggest is once its all dissolved and u have just liquid swish that around and hold it in your mouthas well for five mins sum do it much longer i did. Bc there is still bup in that saliva to be absorbed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Bboy42287 wrote:
Hey man it is perfectly fine if the sub falls to the bottom of your mouth under your tongue. You can place sub anywere in your mouth they just recommend you put it under your tongue and the bottom of your mouth is under your tongue so its perfectly fine. Also closed is how i did it but it wont make a differences as long as its in your mouth. One thing i do suggest is once its all dissolved and u have just liquid swish that around and hold it in your mouthas well for five mins sum do it much longer i did. Bc there is still bup in that saliva to be absorbed.

Thank you for the info Bboy, I really appreciate it. And good cause I was worried that if the suboxone fell to the bottom, it wouldn't be absorbed. But I do usually swish it around and hold it in my mouth for many more minutes, to make sure I get the absorption I should be getting.

Do you know if it's bad or not to smoke a cigarette immediately after I spit (Swallowed today) out the remains? Sometimes I feel like it really does affect the absorption but I'm not too sure. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It could affect absorbtion marginally I suppose. Smoking would constrict the blood vessels in the mouth thus meaning any residual Sub still in the mouth after swallowing (or spitting) wouldn't be absorbed as readily. But I doubt it would affect it enough to notice a difference.

The main thing I believe is to not have a cigarette or a coffee 15 minutes BEFORE dosing, that way the blood vessels are nice and open ready for your dose.

If you struggle swallowing your dose, try holding your nose when you swallow.

Post subject: the taste
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i am glad there is at least one other person that does not like the taste of SOX, i have used a method that works well for me, i dont recommend this but it does work for me - i take my film in the morning under the tongue, wait about 10 mins while it is locked under my tongue, i dont talk, try not to swallow too much and just let the film dissolve, after 10 mins i place two wintergreen altoids in the back corners of my mouth next to my molar teeth and crunch them up without lifting my tongue, it has taken some practice but it has helped me get past the bad taste and my tox screen show i am getting proper dosing. Sometimes I substitute a sweet tart or take a sweet tart at the end after the dose is absorbed. Some people do fine with the taste. As for spitting, that would be a major reason why you are experiencing withdrawals the next morning, a large amount does dissolve in your saliva and spitting it will eliminate from the body. If you are spitting that much of it out, maybe you dont need to be on such a high dose and your body and brain are likely getting only 4-6 mg out of your 8 mg dose ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just to be clear, sub in tablet or film from, can dissolve via ANY of the mucous membranes in one's mouth. It doesn't have to ONLY be placed under one's tongue. Hell, it can be placed between the cheek and the gum and it will absorb properly, per Dr. Junig.

I, too, can't stand the taste of sub. I've also heard, again from Dr. J, that you can put a mint or something like that in your mouth ALONG WITH your suboxone. It isn't supposed to affect the absorption of the sub at all. It should just counteract some of the taste.

Some people also prep their mouth before taking their dose with mouthwash or alcohol (booze) as it helps absorption. TJ knows a bit more about that than I do.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on suboxone since 2003, opiate addict. People I ask who use bup's say that's a long time:) I have found like Dr J suggested is dosing in morning when your mouth is most dry. I keep my mouth closed and usually have no need to swallow for at least 15 minutes. My dr put me on Subutex in 2008 because I haven't relapsed or abused my script. I've tapered to 2 mgs since 2008 because of my research on brain receptor sites with no problem at all. Hope this helps, speaking for 10 yrs use now. God Bless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 pm 

Hi Sub2003,

Welcome to the forum! This thread is over a year old but is still a good one to discuss. The date is up top on the right.

Enjoy the forum,

r