It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have an on and off history of suboxone maintenance and detox. I was on the tablets for about 8 months at a very low dose (4 mg) daily and it seemed to work very well. Just got out of detox again (!) after a pretty bad six month run on heroin and am now on the film. I had about 2 weeks between the detox and the start on my maintenance. This film hit me like a ton of bricks. I always got a little "lift" from my Sub (even on such a low dose) but this was crazy!! I was bouncing off the walls and could not sleep for days at 4 mg. I have reduced to 2 mg. daily and doing much better even though it seems like a "why bother" dose. I like the convenience of the film but wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I know the distribution of the active ingredients are supposed to be more consistent and even and I get that.......but it just seems stronger. Years ago on Methadone I experienced the same with a 60 mg dose of pills being way stronger than the liquid I was used to. Any comments appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Today is my first day using the film. I take 16 mg of Suboxone per day and have been taking it consistently for over four years now. Truthfully, I don't know what I would do without it. I am just one year away from graduating college and have successfully been raising my four year old son. Without Suboxone, that would not have been possible. Anyway, I was extremely sceptical of this new film and had plenty of doubts regarding its potency. However, after taking it this morning, I absolutely love it. Not only does it absorb faster, but it's stronger!! I think the method of delivery allows the medication to absorb more efficiently. Also, it seems to be lasting longer. My husband also takes Suboxone and he is always trying to lower his dose. Unlike me, he hates taking it. He pointed out that it will be much easier to control doses by cutting the film. As you probably know, the tablets can be very hard to score evenly without crumbling them. I am now a huge fan of the film. This is a huge improvement, and I recommend to anyone who hasn't tried it yet to inquire about the new film during their next doctor visit.

Post subject: In my experience
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my experience the films are a bit stronger than the tablets. However, I cannot say I noticed a HUGE difference, but that's probably because I gave the tabs a full hour to dissolve so I think I was getting good absorption. When I switched, I had to drop my dose a bit. No big deal. They are much easier to break into smaller doses, and that's huge for me, since I am tapering. In fact, the 2-mg films can easily be folded/ripped into 16 pieces, which is 125 micrograms.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: An entire hour?!?!?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just curious...How on Earth did you get the tablets to dissolve over a period of an hour? One of the things that I hated about them was that I felt a lack of control regarding the absorption rate. If my mouth was dry, it would take longer, but it still didn't seem to have the right effect. If my mouth was watery, is seemed like the tablet would dissolve in seconds and very little of it would get into my bloodstream properly. There was this happy medium that had to be achieved for adequate dosing. Sometimes, I would take extra just because I felt that I didn't get enough of my dose. The film, so far, appears to have bypassed all of the aforementioned issues. Here's to hoping it stays that way :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I orginally posted probably in November about the drastic difference I experienced dosing with film instead of tabs. Like all new things I eventually did get used to it. I still think the film is stronger but perhaps I was experiencing such drastic effects because I was still vulnerable physically from my detox. As stated in my first post I went from 4 mg on tabs to 2 mg of film. That turned out to be just short of "holding" me. I now cut the 8 mg film into three pieces and it works very well. The film is a godsend as it dissolves so much faster and is easier to manipulate the dose. Glad to hear everyone is doing well with film as well. Good luck to all!!

Post subject: Re: An entire hour?!?!?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

meg19_83 wrote:
Just curious...How on Earth did you get the tablets to dissolve over a period of an hour? One of the things that I hated about them was that I felt a lack of control regarding the absorption rate. If my mouth was dry, it would take longer, but it still didn't seem to have the right effect. If my mouth was watery, is seemed like the tablet would dissolve in seconds and very little of it would get into my bloodstream properly. There was this happy medium that had to be achieved for adequate dosing. Sometimes, I would take extra just because I felt that I didn't get enough of my dose. The film, so far, appears to have bypassed all of the aforementioned issues. Here's to hoping it stays that way :D

I'm totally serious when I say it would take a full hour. After I'd been on Sub a while, my doctor had weaned me up on my dose until I got to 32 mg, which was one 8-mg tab 4 X a day. So, I was spending around 4 hours with those suckers under my tongue. That was a pain!!! If I still was on such a high dose, I'd be happy to have the films, I guess, as they do go away faster. I used to put a tab under my tongue either when I was going to bed or set my alarm and take it an hour before I had to get up. Sometimes, I fell asleep and woke up with the tab in my hair and orange drool on my pillow, but for the most part it worked really well for me. However, I would wake up from time to time a few hours after going to sleep and find that there was still a good size hunk of a tab under my tongue. Pretty amazing.....When I took the tabs during waking hours, they took a long time to dissolve as well, unless I started talking to someone, which would make them go away much faster.

I think my mouth is maybe a little on the small side. I think maybe I don't have as much drool as I should...I really am not quite sure what is wrong with me and the long absorption thing.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

That is seriously hysterical!!!!!! I always got so mad that mine seemed to instantly wash away. I don't know if it was in my head or not, but it seemed to me that the medication didn't dissolve properly. I honestly cannot imagine spending four hours per day with suboxone in my mouth. My husband was on 32 mg/day at one point. He started seeing this new doctor that told him that he should never separate his doses of suboxone. Apparently, she felt that it was an addictive behavior to be taking it throughout the day and that it should only be taken first thing in the morning. She also said that it was designed to last the entire day and be taken as one dose. My husband agreed and he has strictly abided by this doctrine ever since. I, however, refuse to take all of mine in one dose. I take half in the morning, and half in the afternoon. Sometimes, I even take a little extra if I feel the need. As a matter of fact, I might take some now...LOL If I fall asleep, I always take more as soon as I wake up. I know this does sound like addictive behavior, but there is no denying that I am addicted to suboxone after almost five years. Wow...actually I think it's over five years. I was just wondering if you ever tried to take all of yours in the morning or if your doctor said that it was okay to take it throughout the day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

meg19_83 wrote:
That is seriously hysterical!!!!!! I always got so mad that mine seemed to instantly wash away. I don't know if it was in my head or not, but it seemed to me that the medication didn't dissolve properly. I honestly cannot imagine spending four hours per day with suboxone in my mouth. My husband was on 32 mg/day at one point. He started seeing this new doctor that told him that he should never separate his doses of suboxone. Apparently, she felt that it was an addictive behavior to be taking it throughout the day and that it should only be taken first thing in the morning. She also said that it was designed to last the entire day and be taken as one dose. My husband agreed and he has strictly abided by this doctrine ever since. I, however, refuse to take all of mine in one dose. I take half in the morning, and half in the afternoon. Sometimes, I even take a little extra if I feel the need. As a matter of fact, I might take some now...LOL If I fall asleep, I always take more as soon as I wake up. I know this does sound like addictive behavior, but there is no denying that I am addicted to suboxone after almost five years. Wow...actually I think it's over five years. I was just wondering if you ever tried to take all of yours in the morning or if your doctor said that it was okay to take it throughout the day?

WOW...thats crazy, I usually let a 8mg tab dissolve under my tongue for 2 hours! I know when its fully dissolved by the taste and feeling under my tongue. At the hour marker, my tab is has barely even broken down yet. At about an hour and a half I can start feeling the effects of it and by 2 hours im done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I really believe the film is stronger. And I would have to say that the film has made a improvement in my life. Just the time to dissolve makes the film work so much better for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would not say the film is stronger, though it does seems so.

I think the reason is that with the pills it is harder to keep them in your mouth long enough to disolve completely without swallowing some of it. I found that if i wake up 1.5 hours earlier and fall asleep with a pill in my mouth i feel better and it lasts longer than if i get up and take it. I think i'm in a rush to get out of the house to work so i loose some of it.

The film however dissolves under my tongue and i dont seem to swallow any of it so it seems more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Night, what you said is definitely true for me, which is why I prefer the films. However, after about a month or so I started getting sore spots under my tongue (others in the forum have said this, too). I was afraid I'd have to go back to the tabs, but my doc said try placing the film in different areas. So far it has been tolerable.
I hope the films work out for you.

Post subject: I switched to films
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They are awesome at melting in my mouth because my boyfriend hates to see me with them in my mouth. He hates me on the sub but as a nursing student and for me myself I feel I will be on a low maintenance for as long as I need . I will wean down to about 2-1.5 mgs.
Anyways has anyone ever felt sleepier switching to the films from the tabs. Oh and 8mgs. The last 3 days I have taken 8mg in the morning and although I do not have the misery of withdrawal weakness or lethargy. My withdrawal is 100% gone.

I feel just very mellow and sleepy.

I went into a deep REM sleep after sleeping most of the day. When school starts that will be very hard.lol

I'm going to a doctor tomorrow to make sure nothing else aside from the suboxone films are causing the mellow Valium like feeling I guess.

Thanks for any advice :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I think the films seem a lot stronger because they dissolve faster therefore entering your bloodstream much faster. Also the pills are often times stale which reduces their potency. In my own oppinion I would prefer films over pills anyday. Hope I was a little helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bringing up the Thread from the Dead. Yeah , i think the strips may feel stronger because they do dissolve faster bringing on faster onset of Suboxone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Its weird Ive had brand name suboxone tablets, the suboxone film and for the most of my treatment roxanne subutex and I take less of the subutex to achieve the same relief that I would of either of the suboxone tablets or films so I guess everyones different. Im very thorough with my dosing though and make sure every bit that I can gets dissolved and I dont swallow for at least 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My first good dose drop came when I switched from tabs to films. I could tell I didn't need as much. Might have totally been in my head, but I thought the films were a bit stronger.