It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started the film strips a couple of months ago. I love them! and have gotten myself down to one 2mg strip a day. Problem is i have started to notice that my mouth is sore, under my tongue. Its like the skin is thin or something, when i move my tongue around it actually hurts underneath. And i have gotten a few sores on my tongue. those little ones you get, kinda like when you eat too much citrus or pickles. Anyone else having this problem???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've heard of something similar with suboxone, but not specific to the strips. One person on this forum was getting mouth sores and it turned out he was allergic to the artificial sweetener in the sub tablets. Now he takes Subutex and doesn't have any problems. I'm sure he'll come along and chime in with his experience. I hope you get some relief soon, that sounds uncomfortable.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

have been on suboxone for a long time, and this is my third go round :( Never had any problems with the pills. Thinking it might be because they kinda stick to your skin at first. Maybe i am not wetting my mouth enough before i use??

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had the same thing happen! It was probably a month after I started the strips, it would be SO sore right under my tongue where I keep the strips and I would have these little bumps, exactly like what's happening with you. I am very anxious to hear if anyone else has had this problem and what they found out about it! Mine went away after a couple of weeks and I have not had any problems since! This has been a couple of months ago. I'm so glad you thought to ask about this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:02 pm 
Yep here i am!! lol. I've been taking sub for 20 months now. I started out with suboxone. I told my doctor of all things im allergic to. He either didnt know suboxone contains the artificial sweetner or he just didnt care because i told him i was allergic to artificial sweetners. Well, i had no clue suboxone contained that(its called, "Acesulfame k Sweetner"). I trusted my doctor blindly. Well, i eventually started getting the sores in my mouth in all areas, literally. My tongue, my lips and even my gums, like between my back teeth and my gums or cheeck. I was getting them at least once maybe twice a month for months and months. They would literally last weeks. Some as long as 3 weeks. Just depended, on what i dont know. Anyways, i tried everything i could think of. I altered the foods i ate and the things i drank with no success. It seemd i was in a very miserable situation. These were ungodly sores. They hurt like pure hell!! I wouldnt be able to eat but just a few bites for days and days because they hurt so bad. Well, after eliminating everything it could possibly be, i decided to look at the ingredients in suboxone and bam, Acesulfame k Sweetner. Honestly, i was pissed!! But i just took my findings to my doctor and had it out with him basically because he didnt care for me switching to generic subutex. His reasons were not for my concern. I've never touched a needle in my life and have never failed a single drug test and this was like the 12th or 13th month. So, he did switch me to subutex. I started with the generic but very unfortunately, it did not work well for me at all. Oh, my doctor treated me like pure shit once i switched to the generic(which is NOT made by Reckitt Benkiser) calling me a drug addict and addicts cant be trusted etc. etc. Before all this, he always treated me like royalty. Oh how proud he was of me for doing so well yada yada yada. Well, as i said the generic did not work well for me so i had to end up switching to the namebrand subutex(thank the lord my insurance had just taken affect). The namebrand is made by Reckitt Benkiser and what do ya know, im treated like royalty again, yet i have still had a few problems here and their with this doctor. Anyways the bottom line is, i havent had any sores since i switched to subutex and everything is finally back to normal. Im in my 20th month now with a perfect record. Hope this helps!! I know those sores are like pure hell!! OUCH they hurt me just thinking about them!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm 
Yeah its crazy how docs are realy weird about Rx'ing the generic subutex. Mine wont Rx the generic but he trusts me 100% to Rx a benzo along with my suboxone (Im grateful for that because I take it as directed and have had a history of anxiety disorder, Im just saying its weird he would have a prob with the generic but not with me taking both subs and benzos)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:07 pm 
SuboxOWNED:

Yep its crazy and it makes me believe just that much more that your doctor is probably like mine. Getting some kind of benefit from prescribing RB's product. Its a shame too because its putting you at risk when you could switch to the generic and be at the dose you need to be on. It is great that you are finally able to get some anxiety control but you made a perfect point. His reason for not prescribing you the generic is not out of concern. He clearly trust you to take benzos as prescibed yet he doesnt trust you to take generic subutex as prescibed. Ahh, now i get it!! Not!! lol. It sucks that some of these doctors are after nothing but the money. Its just inhumane and very disturbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm 
Yeah and the whole thing about the benzos has been nothing but a big freaking hassle (not from the doctor hes been nice about it) but with my treatment center. Im on probation and the PO says its completely fine that I take it since its prescribed and he told me that it would do me more harm than good if I didnt take it but my counselor is pretty much strong arming me to not take it or else I will get kicked out for "relapse" and that wont look good for my court case. The PO said that he doenst think its right and that if I was kicked out he would find me a treatment place that allows Rx'd medicine to be taken but thats not an option as ive been going to this treatment for months and almost have completed it and cant afford another place and now this comes up. It pisses me off too because there is another guy in treatment who is allowed to take klonopin and vicodin but Im not allowed to take my anxiety meds. He self proclaims not to even take it for anxiety but "it helps him sleep" and hes a freakin opiate addict just like me so I dont understand why Im getting rules that he doesnt get. Other people have been kicked out of this center for taking prescribed benzos and vicodin as well and this guy just gets told "how great he's doing" and "hes been clean so long Im proud of you" type stuff. One of the guys that got kicked out had half his foot amputated and it got very infected and he showed us a cell phone pic of it and it was completely black and looked like it could be gangrene and she kicked him out for taking 2 freaking norcos a day but this other guy who is allowed his norco (way more than the guy who actualy needed it was taking) and klonopin gets to take his vicodin because "his lower back aches". Im getting real pissed off because I was strong armed off the benzo when I started treatment there and things just got worse and my sub doc says its ok for me to take a benzo again and now I havent even gotten to take any of my medication because of this bullshit situation. I dont know what to do my anxiety just keeps getting worse and worse and I cant sleep at night because of it and I have something that will help but I cant take it its about the most frustrating thing ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:29 pm 
:shock: :evil: This is insane!! I would rebel against this honestly!! This is not right nor fair!! How can this even be? I dont understand this in any way shape or form. Im not exactly sure how i would handle it but i damn sure would bring up this guy whos taking vicodin and klonopins to your counselor. I would ask her what the hell is so different or special about him. Cuz something smells funny bout this here. I dont even know what to say, except WOW!! :shock: What are you gonna do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm 
I have to go to group tomorrow and I'm definitely not going to bite my tongue anymore and keep quiet like I have been. The whole thing that bothers me is the guy who is allowed to take the vicodin and benzos is a realy nice guy and I get along very well with him so I didnt want to seem like I was in some way calling him out in group by pointing the finger at him and saying "how come he can take his meds and i cant?" but I have to stick up for myself and if it pisses him off thats unfortunate but hes an adult I think he can handle it. Im just going to say exactly that tho "why can't I take it when I have complained of anxiety/panic for the last however many months during group and this guy only takes it for sleep?" and if I dont get a definitive answer that isnt completely bullshit Im going to stand my ground and not drop the subject (being respectful but firm) until I get an explanation that I can understand. Another woman was kicked out for her xanax Rx because "she was visibly out of it during group" but I saw this woman everyday in group and she acted completely sober and I would have never known she was on xanax had she not said anything. I am very upset over this though because when I brought up that my doctor gave it to me she instantly rolled her eyes and said "no no no" like Im some child and then proceeded to write up on the chalk board my reasons for getting it and putting me on the spot telling me I am just making excuses to be able to relapse. Well if my PO is on my side and willing to go to bat for me (he said if I was kicked out he would openly testify in the courtroom that I did not relapse and took a med from my doctor) that should be a pretty strong indicator that people actualy believe that I have a legitimate reason to take it. Its not like some GP doctor wrote me this Rx without knowing my addiction history, its the freaking doctor I see for nothing except for addiction. He is not going to put himself at risk for me if he doesn't believe what Im telling him is true but she just doesn't want to hear it. This is all just to much for me to handle its just compounding my anxiety and I'm going insane. I should not have to jump through all these hoops when PO and an addictionologist both say I should have my right to take it but someone who got clean through AA is gonna tell me that if I dont do it their way Im not staying/wont stay clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This treatment/rehab retard has no business overriding your doctor's orders or prescription. What an idiot. I get it that some people don't buy the whole anxiety thing as legitimate, and I agree that there are other techniques people should learn BESIDES taking a pill to deal with anxiety. I am pretty sure I have a bit of an anxiety problem. Those other techniques have helped substantially for me. In fact I just quit smoking and am certain I wouldn't be successful without having learned those. AND....especially having quit smoking, I am now realizing exactly how much anxiety I carry around and how intense it is. I would LOVE an intermittent benzo to help me calm down a bit now and again. I can't focus like that and things don't get done.

If it was me, I would ask your doctor what his credentials are or grab his card if they are all on there. Then, I would ask him to write on a script for you to give to the rehab retard that you are required to take it for anxiety and if they have concerns to please contact him. Then, I would confront the situation in group like you said and ask why she thinks her credentials render her more qualified to know what is best for you than your doctor and I would ask her what her medical background is and what qualifies her to make the medical recommendation she has provided. Or just ask her where she went to medical school. What an ass.

Sorry man.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 am 
Personally, i think she/he has dealt with a lot of addicts over time and has become to hate addicts. She probably thinks addicts(im talkin about recoverying addicts) are nothing but lying, cheating, bullshitting unimportant people. Im not making excuses for her, obviously. But im just saying i think this counselor doesnt like addicts. Which is unproffessional and if thats the case, she needs to get a new career. I would call her out and put her ass on the spot asking her exactly what jackcrack said, what gives her the right to override an MD's orders. She is not your doctor. You have your addiction doctor for a reason. Honestly, i dont see her having any chance against this if it was to come up in court. You have a legitament prescription, your PO is ok with it and their aint shit they can do about it, imo. Anyways, hope it all works out for you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:31 pm 
Well I guess everything is ok because I went to group and she said that the PO called her because he could see how visibly anxious and worried I was over the whole situation and she said that "no way would I ever kick you out of treatment over that" so I guess i kind of blew it out of proportion but it still seems like a sketchy situation but at least I was told I wouldnt be kicked out. Cherie yeah its funny you mention getting the docs credentials and brining them to group because my doc has already said to me once that he would actualy call up and talk to them about how hes an addiction doctor and knows whats the best thing for me because I mentioned how early on in treatment suboxone was seeming to be an issue. He said "thats bullshit gimme their number and I'll call em up if you want me to" and I told him nah dont worry about it for now I dont wanna ruffle anyones feathers. Lifesaver the thing is tho is this counselor was a hardcore addict herself and is very kind and knowledgeable (I like her alot and she has been the best treatment counselor Ive ever had aside from a few disagreements) so she definitely doesnt hate addicts, I think its just that she knows how addicts are and for the 1 out of every hundred that takes a benzo for a legitimate reason there are probably 99 others who may abuse it. Cherie if you want a intermittent benzo like you said (thats how I use them wont take it everyday because I dont want it to be my only coping mechanism for anxiety and it will also stop working if used daily) you should talk to your doctor about it. My doc completely understood I do struggle with anxiety and panic and didnt seem to have a problem with me taking it sparingly because I was willing to try other meds first and when they didnt work he understood and let me take it. I dont know your doc so I dont know how they view taking them but its worth a shot if you think it would help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm 
This is awesome news suboxowned!! Good deal!! Hope things keep going well!!

Post subject: Subutex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What is this? Never even heard of it?? As i said earlier i have been on Suboxone for quite a while and this is my third go round. I truly believe they rushed me off of it the first two times. I was ready physically but not emotionally or mentally. Anywho,,, Subutex? It comes generic?? Even with my insurance and the RX card for the film strips, it is still costing me quite a bit of money. thanx in advance for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 pm 
Yeah generic subutex is like 3.50-4$ depending on the pharmacy for an 8mg pill but the whole problem is getting your doctor to prescribe it. My doctor wont Rx it and neither will alot of other peoples doc its realy frustrating. I think that the only reason anyone should be refused the generic is if they used the needle in addiction and even then I dont think its fair, but I mean if someone never used a needle I dont think they should have any problem prescribing it but they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If nothing else Suboxowned, you certainly seem to have a pretty nice parole officer. I've never personally dealt with such a person but I certainly have read comments from others here who have - including a few who were pretty much forced off of Suboxone because their PO didn't want them on it - as crazy as that is. This guy seems pretty darn cool to have sensed your worry and took the time to call your councilor on your behalf. It actually helps to rebuild my opinion of many/most government-type workers who seem to care less about the people they are supposed to be serving or at least trying to help. If this is any example, you seem to have one pretty great PO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mlaikens - subutex is also buprenorphine, just like suboxone, but suboxone has naloxone in it and subutex doesn't. The naloxone is there in an effort to prevent people from shooting up the suboxone. The current thinking by many doctors is that subutex has a higher rate of diversion because you can inject it. When I asked my doctor about switching over to Subutex generic he said absolutely not...because of the risk of diversion. Of course there are doctors who will prescribe it - maybe your doctor is one of them. Can't hurt to ask.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 pm 
mlaikens:

I must say, you have the koolest avatar!! I know thats nothing to do with the topic but i had to throw that out their.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 am 
donh wrote:
If nothing else Suboxowned, you certainly seem to have a pretty nice parole officer. I've never personally dealt with such a person but I certainly have read comments from others here who have - including a few who were pretty much forced off of Suboxone because their PO didn't want them on it - as crazy as that is. This guy seems pretty darn cool to have sensed your worry and took the time to call your councilor on your behalf. It actually helps to rebuild my opinion of many/most government-type workers who seem to care less about the people they are supposed to be serving or at least trying to help. If this is any example, you seem to have one pretty great PO!
Yeah man you are right my PO is a great guy and very understanding. He can sense that I am serious about my recovery and I follow everyone of the rules he gives me and I have never tested dirty for any of the drug tests so I think thats why he helps me out. He also knows of my mental health issues and knows how I panic over pretty much anything. I think I kind of turned him Pro suboxone because at first he wasnt to sure about it (he never said I had to get off it tho) but now he tells me that hes glad Im staying on it long term and he thinks there isnt any reason I should stop taking it since Im doing well. When I see him its not even like meeting with a person of authority anymore we just BS about normal everyday things for 10 minutes then he gives me a drug test and sends me on my way. I wish more people like him were in the legal system but unfortunately I think a PO like him is rare. If you aren't honest with him though I have heard he can be strict but Ive always been completely honest and dont lie to him so he treats me fair.