It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone since 2003 and just recently switched to the films now that they're out. I have never had a problem with the pills but the films make under my tongue hurt and I have this zit looking sore on that little thing where your spit come outs. It really hurts! I never had a problem before....back to the pills I go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

so yesterday i noticed i had these like little blisters>?? i dont even know if id call them that, like a tiny ball, they didnt really hurt i just had one or two of them and played with them with my tongue and they popped and went away and there was nothing in them. after popping them my mouth was sore. anyways right under my tonuge in the middle where the tongue connects to the bottom of my mouth it seems slightly swollen. its been a month exactly on the strips, can someone explain in more detail what kind of sores they are getting? all i can think is that this is a side effecgt from the subs. i have my dr tuesday so i will talk to him about it then.

Post subject: Swollen, sore tongue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Georgia] [/font]My tongue is KILLING me!!
I've been on Sub for nearly 4 years now. I take it for pain, as well as maintenance--8mgs, 3 times a day. I've only been using the films for 20 days.

I had actually noticed this issue before switching to the films but it has gotten MUCH worse with the films. My tongue is so swollen, I sound like I have a speech impediment :oops: when I talk & it's getting to be too painful to eat :( (& I loves me some food!). My tongue looks "jagged" on the sides & very red. There are tiny, clear blisters on the tip. My tongue doesn't seem to hurt underneath, like previous posts, it's only on the sides & tip. It's beginning to hurt deep, tho, almost like it's bruised & tonight, there are huge white blisters all along the sides.

I'm HOPING my doc will be willing to write me for the Subutex. The doctor who initiated me & whom I had been seeing for the last 3 years, 9 months, just died. So, she's only been treating me for about a month & she made me, & all the new patients from deceased doctor's practice, sign a form that stated we understood she does not rx Subutex, only Suboxone. She has my records & can verify that I've never relapsed, had a dirty drug screen or needed early refills/dose adjustments. I've never shot up, either.

I wanted to tell my story so other's would know. But I also wanted to thank you, lifesaver, for posting about the subutex. That's an option I'd never thought of & was terrified I was going to be forced off Suboxone therapy.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: Swollen, sore tongue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bbgreenii wrote:
[font=Georgia] [/font]My tongue is KILLING me!!
I've been on Sub for nearly 4 years now. I take it for pain, as well as maintenance--8mgs, 3 times a day. I've only been using the films for 20 days.

I had actually noticed this issue before switching to the films but it has gotten MUCH worse with the films. My tongue is so swollen, I sound like I have a speech impediment :oops: when I talk & it's getting to be too painful to eat :( (& I loves me some food!). My tongue looks "jagged" on the sides & very red. There are tiny, clear blisters on the tip. My tongue doesn't seem to hurt underneath, like previous posts, it's only on the sides & tip. It's beginning to hurt deep, tho, almost like it's bruised & tonight, there are huge white blisters all along the sides.

I'm HOPING my doc will be willing to write me for the Subutex. The doctor who initiated me & whom I had been seeing for the last 3 years, 9 months, just died. So, she's only been treating me for about a month & she made me, & all the new patients from deceased doctor's practice, sign a form that stated we understood she does not rx Subutex, only Suboxone. She has my records & can verify that I've never relapsed, had a dirty drug screen or needed early refills/dose adjustments. I've never shot up, either.

I wanted to tell my story so other's would know. But I also wanted to thank you, lifesaver, for posting about the subutex. That's an option I'd never thought of & was terrified I was going to be forced off Suboxone therapy.

Wow...a lot of people have a problem with these strips making their tongue messed up. I've read that it's some kind of reaction. I'm pretty sure if I was on a higher dose, it would happen to me, because I have to switch sides of my tongue to keep it from getting really sore. That never happened to me while on the tabs. It feels like the films are burning my tongue sometimes. I'm only taking 1 mg a day, though so it's not that bad. Hey, at least you have a very valid reason to switch back to Subutex! I wish I'd been taking Subutex this whole time. I don't know why doctors don't prescribe it to everyone who doesn't have any history of shooting up. It's one less drug to put in our systems, and it's apparently also easier to taper of Subutex than on Suboxone, (should that time ever come for you). If I were you, I'd take a few pics of my nasty tongue to show the doctor. Hard evidence doesn't hurt. :D

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Me too. I really thought I preferred the film, but now after a month it is sore, red and swollen under my tongue. At first I wasn't sure if it was the sub, but after reading this thread it looks like it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone,

I haven't been around here in a while as we have had a great deal of illness in the family.

I've been on the film for approx. 5 months. All of a sudden it starting burning like fire each time I try to take it. Under my tongue is red swollen and very sore. I, too have zit-like sores on the little tubes where your spit comes out. Yesterday I tried putting the film between my lower teeth and gums, one on each side. It really burned but it was better than under the tongue. This morning when I got up the first thing my husband said was, "What do you have in your mouth?". My whole lower lip area was swollen and sore, right where I had the film yesterday.

It is so nice to be able to look here and see that there are others who have experienced this. The next time I see my MD I am going to have to ask for the pills again.

Thank you everybody,
Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rossma!!! It's great to "see" you again! I'm so sorry to hear about the illnesses in your family. I hope you are doing all right now. I'm so glad to see you back again. I hope you'll be sticking around. Other than the mouth thing, how are you doing?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am new to the forum but have been taking Suboxone filmstrips, afters being switched from the pills.I too have been having mouth soreness, swelling of the undersurface of the tongue, and white bumps. A pharmacist I know says she has heard this complaint from several of the filmstrip patients. I have been using warm salt water swishes and biotene mouth spray with a bit of relief. The MD I see says "they are discontinuing the pills" and won't put me back on them. I know this is not true after talking to my friend. Probably need to look into a new MD. Thanks for listening. I hope your mouth improves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had posted about 2 weeks ago that I was experiencing the same type of thing. My doc said to put it in different places in my mouth, but between the cheek & gum didn't seem as effective. So now I put it under one side if the tongue or the other, and the soreness seems to be improving quite a bit.
If you like your doc it doesn't seem worth having to find a new one over this. If you emphasize the problems you're having with the films and tell him they are not discontinuing the pills hopefully he will accommodate you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think that everyone who's having these mouth sores from the film should report this as a side effect. Let the FDA sort it out with some studies - and I believe it's the FDA that collects data on side effects received after a new product is already on the market. Just a thought.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all!! I know it's been a while since I posted anything, and Im glad I read through this thread. I noticed that the last several times I went to my MD he was always brining up trying to film and I said no, the tablets are just fine. Well mh last visit, he hooked up. His office got a stack of prescription coupon cards that makes my script free. It covers your copay up to $45, mine is $25. So I figured what the heck I'll gvie it a try. Now it's only good for 6 scripts and I've only been on them a few days. I've noticed that once it's dissolved it leaves a filmlike residue around under my tongue and lower jaw. I'll keep on them for a few months and report back if I have any side effects. I just thought it was weird that my doctor seemed to really push the films. Plus they're a pain to get open. No soars yet, but I will definitely keep you posted on how I do on them over the next few months.

You armed me with strength for battle, you made my adversaries bow at my feet. Psalm 18:39

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yup!
I get a sore under my tongue but only if I put the strip in the same spot everyday. Everyday I try to use a different section under my tongue: Left side, towards the front, right side towards the back, etc.
Still gets sore but it's bearable. It helps to swish and spit with warm salt water usually do this about a half hour after sub is dissolved.

Post subject: Same here
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Im also getting the bumps under my tongue that are very paiful &feel a slight burning sensation when taking my strips.

Post subject: mouth sores
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have found that if you make sure your mouth is really wet it helps. Make sure you alternate each time. Their is citric flavoring in the film. And after it dissolves. I brush my teeth and rinse out my mouth.

Post subject: 2 nd week, beefy tongue
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello to alllllll my heroes:). Becuz of yall, I am no longer burnin my phone and tires up to feed that habit. Thanks so much!
So, I wanted to know why in the world is my tongue all red, sore, and yeah, the medicine kinda stings my tongue after it dissolves.
I would like to know if there's anything we can do to prevent this irritation... ? I just started last Thursday. Never used needles, just have a problem getting enuf of those tabs. Thank God, I feel as if I have been chained these last 4 or 5 yrs. Suboxone has opened that lock n chain, freeing me to live. If theres anyone reading these posts who isn't being treated successfully without suboxone; let me tell u it works. It realllly does!
Anyway, hope everyone asks their drs about the sore tongue problem, then post all the md responses. I go back may 30th, I'll let yall know what my Dr says.
Bless you all, and Thx for the posts...

Unchained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Graced,

Welcome! I'm so happy for you that you decided to take back control of your life. It is a huge relief huh?

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I experienced this as well at the beginning of treatment. It will get better, it seems as if the underside of your tongue is just very sensitive. And putting all that medication, citric acid, and all that crap under there tends to irritate it. If you just stick it out it will eventually adjust to having the medication there and heal up and go away. Unfortunately I don't know of anything that helps it other than maybe a saltwater rinse. I haven't had any problems with it in over 10 months probably.