It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all,

I'm currently on 16mgs of film and am having some issues with knowing when it has fully absorbed. Ive read so many varying reports on this its hard to gauge. I currently put 2 strips under my tongue and wait for 45mins-1hour for it to dissolve, and then "swish" the remaining saliva for 15 more minutes. This routine is ridiculous and takes forever and honestly I hate it but I'm afraid to deviate and get "sick" because less of the suboxone has absorbed. Am I crazy? Anyone else have experience with this and can tell me I'm wasting my time? Any input would help.

EDIT: i think its important to note that within 5 minutes of taking the sub strip my mouth completely fills up with saliva to the point that I have to hold it in. Ive tried many different things to reduce my saliva output but they have not worked. If i was able to maintain a dry enough mouth to have the strip turn into goo and paint my mouth with it, I'd probably feel a lot more comfortable.

CXC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Cough,

ok ya, 45 min is way too long. Not to mention time consuming and a "life interrupter" . Honestly the best place is in the upper part of the mouth between your gum and lip. it works better for me there plus it stays way drier. I would try that for your next dose.

And I usually leave it there for 10 minutes. tops.

Give it a shot and let us know how you are doing. you wont go into withdraws, especially since you have been taking subs for a while. It has built up in your system because of the long half life so even if you swallow your dose ( dont do that ) you still would be fine.

But ...give it a try in the upper area of your mouth. it helps with salvia NOT building up and it stays in place so you don't swallow it. Good luck !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I always stuck it under my tounge and didn't eat or drink anything for about 45 mins but I think holding the saliva is just washing it away more i always just stuck it under there and went about my day just remembered not to eat or drink anything for a while.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies, I will try the lip method tomorrow and see if it helps with my excess saliva buildup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay so I've been trying putting it in the cheek/lip/gum area and i definintely am not getting the same kind of saliva buildup however i just feel like I'm wasting more than my other method. I will continue doing it this way and see if any symptoms develop within the next 3-6 days, but if i feel fine I think I'll definitely stick with it. It has been taking way less time and I have been able to talk and everything just fine compared to under the tongue. A few times I have messed up placement so it ended up against my teeth or something but I guess I'll optimize it over the next little while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello cough,

great to hear it. I know it seems like you may not get results there. But believe it or not, your mouth is filled with absorption membranes and the upper lip area should give you good results. I switched to doing it about 6 months ago when i felt like putting the subs under my tongue was getting too much saliva and hard not to just swallow the meds.

I have yet to have any problems since i made the switch to my upper cheek. And.. like you, i can talk still with it there and not have a ton of saliva dripping from my mouth. Which is a terrible feeling.

So, I hope that helps with your dosing and you get some great results.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I havent fully committed to dosing in the lip/cheek area yet, I definitely still have some "addict" worries about not getting the same dose as before. I have heard that the buccal (cheek, lip, etc) absorption rate is lower than sublingual so that worried me a bit. Can anyone relate their experience on this? I guess I just need to fully commit to the new dosing method and see how it goes myself but old habits die hard. Ive been dosing the same way for years under the tongue and the ritual is hard to break as well. I'd really like that time back, however, if i can confirm that buccal is just as effective as sublingual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all,

Just wanted to follow up on this for any people who might happen upon this thread. I have fully switched to taking my sub film in between my lower lip and gums. I put 2 strips in at the same time (not touching) centered so that they are on my gums and inside of my mouth area. I am careful they are not touching my teeth when I do this. i then go about my day, and am able to talk and smoke a vaporizer without any issues. When i get a strong concentration of "sub flavor" leaking from my lip into the rest of my mouth, I paint my mouth with it à la Dr Juning and then swallow. I never let the saliva build up to a point where I can't talk (and it never does).

Using this method I actually feel like I am getting a much higher doseage than my previous method described in the first post. It is such a difference that I am actually considering lowering my maintenance doseage so as to mitigate some side effects.

Anyways, just wanted to follow up. So happy to be freed from the spit mouth routine I had been doing for years. Wish I had tried this earlier in life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Glad to hear it has worked out for you cough! Definately some helpful info for others in similar situations.