It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Film or Generic?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
OK..now that the pharmacist told me that I get the rest of my perscription for Suboxone Tablet in film form or generic form, which should I choose?

I know this a very controversial topic and certainly an unexpected one for me. I don't have any kids. I've never heard of this decision to take tabs off the market because of its danger to kids! After reading, I understand it more.

I also understand a little of the pharmacodynamics of suboxone, and I would go with the generic that has been available for awhile now, except I don't trust generics in general because of a few adverse side affects I have gotten with a few different medications. So - I tend to stick with the brand names, even if they are a little more expensive.

So, now I have a choice. My Dr. has been trying to convince me to switch to the film for awhile now. I tried it and I honestly LIKE the taste of the suboxone tablets~ I feel like I'm letting a tasty vitamin C pill dissolve in my mouth which is a pleasant experience for me! But that's me. I'm not happy about their discontinuing it at all.

Since I don't trust generics, is the film pretty much the equivalent of the tablets except they just are taken a bit differently. And what's different/the same about the generics. These are the 2 options my pharmacist just offered me. For now, I've chosen the film.

Thanks,
Trudijane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I prefer the films over the tablets by far. At first I liked the tablets better, but once I starting taking the film properly I began to favor it by far. There aren't any aspects I can think of that the tablets have the upper edge on the film. The film dissolve quicker, better bioavailability, and easier on the go among other things. I don't prefer it for any of the child resistance bullshit that the drug company is pushing for.

I haven't tried the generic tablets, but I have experience with the discontinued suboxone tablets so that it what I am using for comparison. I wouldn't think the generic tablets could possibly be better than the brand name but they are more expensive than the films for whatever odd reason. It doesn't sound like that weighs into your decision much though.

If I were you I'd stick with the films, but I know what it is like to be curious. You could always give the tablets a try with a partial fill. You may need more of the tablets to get the same effect than the film, but I didn't experience it with the tablet. It may depend on how high of a dose you are on.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Fireman,

I tried the film because my Dr. was thinking I'd like it better (for some reason), but I didn't. I must have peculiar taste buds in that I actually liked the taste of the suboxone dissolving under my tongue compared to the film. As long as the basic effect is the same, I guess it really does not matter. I just take 1, sometimes 2 2mg/8mg tablets per day, usually at night.

My pharmacist offered me the equivalent film for the amount I am now taking, so it's no catastrophe. But I also think the reasoning of why they are taking the tablets off the market are ridiculous. Also, I don't have any kids to be concerned about at this point.

Since I've always felt brand to be superior to generics, I'd rather not go there. With my insurance's help, I don't pay that much for a month's supply of tablets and I think it will be the same amount for the film. The generics would be less, but not significantly.

Trudijane

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:14 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Whichever form you choose it's good to hear that you are in recovery and taking it seriously. I'm all about having options so I am glad that people can choose which ever form of the drug suits them best, but the way they've gone about it is just frustrating. Just because I prefer the film doesn't mean everyone else should too. I'm lucky enough to have insurance too, otherwise there's no way I would've been able to afford it for nearly as long as I have.

Generic suboxone is probably the only generic that costs more than the brand name of just about any drug. Like you said there definitely seems to be a correlation between the effectiveness of the brand vs. generic with the brand having the upper hand. It's just bazaar when taking price into account.

By the way, what do the generic tablets taste like? I've never had a problem with the citrus like flavor in the suboxone like some do. Seriously though, how in the hell is a little kid going to somehow get his hands on the "dangerous" tablet that every other pill is stored in and has worked for years? There are far worse substances that a kid could overdose on than suboxone. Especially when you take into account the fact that it has to be taken sublingually. Excuses...

Post subject: E-mail from Manufacturer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just thought I'd copy the response I got after writing the manufacturer about the change.

The decision to discontinue Suboxone tablets was made in September 2012 and at that time physicians, pharmacists and current patients were informed via the attached letter. We apologize if you were not made aware of this by letter or by your prescriber or pharmacist. We provided a 6 month window for prescribers to make the switch to Suboxone film and on March 18, 2013 production of the Suboxone tablets ceased and only what was currently in stock on wholesaler and pharmacy shelves was available for purchase. Attached to this email is the initial letter to patients, FAQs, the Suboxone medication guide and the prescribing information for the film. Should you have further questions please call Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals M-F 9am-645pm EST @ 1-877-782-6966.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's possible that the pharmacy could have just that much backstock in their inventory, or their supplier that stocks them ....but as far as a long-term solution with Suboxone in the pill form..you'll have to get your doctor to agree to write the amneal or that other A-word manufacturer generic brand.... There isn't a Reckitt version of Suboxone pills currently being produced..
And after the hissy-fit they pitched towards the FDA regarding such dramatic dangers of Suboxone pills, and the magical appearance of people diverting their pill-form ....Reckitt managed to get the FDA to push the film without many hurdles.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take generic bupe (brand teva) and love it. I was on suboxone for 7 months before I switched and always got migraines or at least had a lingering headache all day even at a low dose. Since then not 1 headache, also I think it tastes better than suboxone. I have no complaints about this generic, buprenorphine is buprenorphine to me. I can't tell any difference.