It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Film Dosing
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi guys,

I have been on the film for 1 week today (8mg). Since my first day what I have been doing is cutting the film in half & putting 1 piece on either side of my tongue and keeping my tongue raised out of the pool of saliva that develops. I have always had a problem with my saliva washing the meds away. I have been using a paper towel and lowering my head so the saliva drips out of my mouth when it gets too high. Maybe 5 times I dunk the tongue down to get it wet to help the strip dissolve. takes 15-20 mins to completely dissolve. I have been afraid to let my tongue sit in the saliva and get inconsistent doses.

Honestly I felt a little over-medicated the 1st 2 days but that has subsided. happy to cut my morning routine down considerably.

Just thought I'd share this. Wondering if anybody has any tips as more people start with the film...

-G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on the film strips for 3 days now. I can't tell a huge difference. They do dissolve in 12 - 15 minutes, which is a huge plus. I think they could be a little bit less effective than the pills though. I have followed the instructions so far, make sure your mouth is wet to help with absorption, place the film under one side of tongue, try not to talk, etc. Does anyone have any tips? I was reading on a forum that mouthwash was good to use before dosing.? Does this really help? I will give it a try. If anyone has any other tips, stories, etc., they would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ILLCadillac and welcome. Yes, I've heard mouthwash helps with absorption. The other thing one of our members recently learned serendipitously was that rinsing with salt water helped the tablets to dissolve a LOT quicker. I would think it would work the same way with the strips. Good luck. Again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: I love the strips!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I feel the strips are much more effective for me because I could never get through the whole two pills, they either wouldn't dissolve totally or they just tasted so gross that once they got down to a pebble size, I'd spit them out
The strips dissolve in like five minutes flat; all kidding aside! You just have to make sure your mouth is moist. I leave a waterbottle next to my bed so in the morning I can just drink some and then I have the box of strips under my pillow and w/i five minutes I feel good enoughto get out of bed and begin my day!!!!! I highly recommendthe strips- mainly because of the accuracy in dosing AND it's the same price! fifteen dollar co/pay!!!!!! for ninety!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What i have been doing for close to 4 years now b4 i take my sub is get a small glass of water and swish it around my mouth spit it out then put the sub in a couple seconds later. but i have yet to try the films i should be getting my script in a couple days hear but im gonna do the same thing with the films as i did with the pills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I tried mouthwash and maybe I should have rinsed with water before I put the film in because I did not taste it at all and I think it was gone in like 2 minutes, I felt ok but I don't think it absorbed the way it should have. I also tried the salt water this morning and that worked pretty well. It seemed like the film dissolved in about 6 - 7 minutes and I felt pretty good, so all in all, I'm liking these film strips. I will try taking them as soon as I wake up as I usually wait until I'm driving to work. It is just so hard to get out the door sometimes, I bet it will help to dose upon waking up. I never even pondered that idea before with the pills because they took so long to dissolve. Thanks again everyone and I'm glad I found this site because it's hard to find people to talk to about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi guys,

I tried keeping my tongue down today. No one has commented on the method I suggested so I assume no one has tried it. I guess I may be losing some meds by removing the saliva build up during dissolving process. I definitely feel my dose a little stronger today (*i think) But I noticed the saliva that collects in my mouth is not clear like it is when I hold my tongue raised above, out of the pool. Also i can taste it a lot more. Anyways- wanted to discourage my above method and apologize for it, don't think it's very effective.

I wonder has anyone let it dissolve sitting on top of their tongue? Dr J said somewhere that it would absorb all the same no matter what mucous membrane right? Probably would take a long time and be tough not to get it stick to the roof of your mouth.

Have a good day guys and thanks for being here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi all. There are about three threads about the film, but this is the most recent, so I thought I'd just post here. Today I tried the film for the first time. I have to say this - MY GAWD, BUT IT DISSOLVES QUICKLY! I love that about it. As for the taste, well, I don't care much for the taste of the tablets and the strips aren't much better, but it's certainly not worse. I consider them to be equally distasteful. I just put the strip under my tongue and let it dissolve. I didn't mess around with lifting my tongue or not. Just popped it under there and was done in under 5 minutes. With the $75 savings, that reduces my monthly prescription costs by $20/month (which is good because another script of mine just went up). Just wanted to add my own experience to everyone else's.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take 24mgs, you have to cut these packages open across the top then rip them down the sides, so you need a scissor for sure( or use your teeth, I guess,lol), if you take your doses in a car on the way anywhere this is not going to happen, it is a pain in the A##. Then if you have any problems with dexterity well, that is a whole other issue! If you happen to drop one on wet surface, you'd be sh#t out of luck too, in my opinion! I just started these and they are not my cup of tea at all. 3 boxes with 30 in each box, instead of one pill bottle?? How does that make sense?? Keeping track of 3 boxes? The packages looks like condom wrappers. Nope going back to the Doc, this is not for me. I have MS and getting one package open was a problem, but 3? Sometimes I take my dose on my way to my daughter's house, not anymore, this is one big ritual! Thanks but no Thanks!

Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know whether this would work with tiny pieces of film, but I have found that the little plastic boxes that Listerine breath strips come in are perfect for holding the film, and keeping in your purse or pocket. It keeps it clean, dry, easy to find, discrete, and in one piece. It is almost like it was made for the job! The only thing is I wouldn't use it if there was any chance a child might see it and take it by mistake thinking it was a breath strip. I don't have any little ones around right now so that is not an issue for me.
~Rossma