It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on low doses of subutex/subuxone for almost 5 years. I have been taking 3mg of suboxone daily for a year. I have a good rapport with my doctor. He gives me two scripts at each visit (I see him every 2 months). The second script always has a "2) Do not fill until #/##/####" hand written on it by the doctor or nurse. This is the first time I have run out early. It's completely my fault. I get stressed this time of year anyway. I'm currently in grad school as well. I knew I was taking extra but lost track of how much, and on Friday had the stunning realization that I was completely out. It is now Sunday and I'm completely miserable and nonfunctional - can't even get out of bed. I cannot fill my script until Thursday. I didn't want to call my doctor but now feel I might have to. I can't be out of commission this entire week.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I go to a local "mom 'n pop" pharmacy. Can they fill it early even if the doctor calls or they call him? Would that violate DEA rules or something? I hate for him to look down on me, but I'm dying and think I need to at least try calling him for help. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:17 pm 

Hey km,it really is up to each dr and how they practice. Really sorry your feeling bad. i know what its like runing short. sounds to me like you have agreat dr though. call and ask. i will say the chances are he cant call it in. i would almost count on a office visit. Razor...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:35 pm 

Depending on what day of the week I can get in to see my doctor, is when I turn in my script for the Suboxone to the pharmacy. They will hold it until it is three days early, that's all. So don't count on them filling it much earlier than that.

Your best bet is to be straight with your doctor and fess up to what's been happening. Even if your dose was upped, wouldn't you abuse it then too? Time to face your addict behavior and put a stop to it. Hopefully your doctor will show pity and write it early for you.

And yes, I've been in your shoes, but mostly in the beginning of my Sub treatment.

Hope you can make it through okay and stop it from happening again.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Razor,

Yeah, I won't be surprised if I have to go in and see him, which will be fine (although the 45 minute drive sucks!). I'm feeling a lot better at the moment - just took the last tiny piece I was saving 'cause I couldn't wait any more. It was enough that I could shower and eat/drink a little. I am taking Clonidine which seems to help a little with the RLS, along with Hydroxyzine for sleep, and Immodium. The first 2 I've held onto after being prescribed them a while back. Anyway, I'll just have to call tomorrow morning and see what the verdict is. As much time as I spend googling and looking at forums and such, I can never get clear with what the rules/laws are (I'm currently living in South Carolina). Plus, like you said - it really depends on the individual doctor. My fingers are crossed. I can't stand the thought of waiting until Thursday!

kmt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't got any experience with running out early, but have had to fill early before due to impending bad weather (a predicted foot of snow, in the south!), and my doctor had no problem calling it in. He's in North Carolina, I live in VA, and my pharmacy is in VA, almost an hour away though. In my state, it's still legal to call in a prescription for a schedule 3 drug, so maybe you'll get lucky and a phone call will suffice, and then you can discuss what happened/ why you took extra and ran out early your next appointment. You may need extra work on coping strategies for the stressors that cause you to feel the need to reach for more medication to deal when under stress? In any event, I hope it works out for you, and that your doctor is understanding, and you get to feeling better soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rule and Lizzie,

Yeah - I should mention that I've run out early before in the past (when I lived back in Md and had contacts to get more) but had been doing well here in SC for the past year. It's true though that I've never really addressed my addiction as far as going to NA or anything, even though my doctor strongly recommended it. I've had bad anxiety since I was a kid, but realize I also have a separate, though linked, addictive tendency.

Anyway, I just wasn't sure about this one because it's not a refill, it's a separate script. The only limitation is the hand-written "do not fill until _date_" written by the doctor/nurse. But, anyway, I guess the only way to find out is to call and ask. I'll let you know how it goes. I do plan to be honest with him. I just got careless after a year of not having to worry, and the memory of withdrawal had faded a bit... I think it's time to find a support group. There's no substitute for talking with people who have been through it too. Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:12 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey i think you should be fine to get another script filled tomorrow (monday). I have a very busy life and i go to the dr and fill my script when i can. Of course, it has to be before my monthly script runs out. My dr will write, my insurance will cover, and my pharmacy will fill my script up to 6 days early. Tomorrow you'll only be at- what? 3-4 days early? You should be fine. Idk if you have insurance. Most insurance companies will fill a monthy script when you are 80% thru your script. Which calculates to 24 days after your last script was filled. Last month i got a script filled sept 2nd and was able to fill my next script sept 26th without a problem from my dr, insurance company, or pharmacy. Just don't make it a monthly habit lol. As long as your dr will write you a new script- which he should- you will be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway lol. Let us know how you make out!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've ran out early before too. It's an awful feeling. For me the anxiety and wondering if I would have to suffer or my doc would have mercy on me was one of the worst parts. I always called. I never could "suck it up" and make it to my next appt. Even if was 3 days...or 2 days. Hell...I would have an issue with 1 day. That's my anxiety though, and if you have that issue as well I know the boat your in. I would call your doctor. I never actually spoke to my doc. It was always the secretary and they would let the doc know what was going on and get back to me. They would always call it in for me. Not once did they said no. I have a really good doctor though and I don't live in the same state as you. So I don't know if it would be different for you. But it's worth the call. I don't think at all they would boot you or anything. You're only going to feel worse and your going to constantly be wondering if they would help you out. Tell them what you said in your post. I would even say that at your next appt talk about upping your dose a little. I had to do that and there is nothing wrong with it. You shouldn't be worried like this while taking Subs. The point of them is to not have that monkey on your back. Especially when you say this time of year is rough for you. At least then you won't have to worry about running out. I don't agree with the above poster that said you would run out anyways if your dose was upped. Mine was upped and I stopped running out. So that's not the case for everyone. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:27 pm 

One more thing to consider. A few months back we went on a vacation that would have been the time of the month I'd go see my doctor and get a new script. Instead of going in early and pleading my case, I decided to suck it up and take less per day for a week, leaving me with more to last.

It's not fun but I didn't go through any withdrawals either. I take three 2 mg films per day so I just cut it down to two, leaving me with enough to last until I got back and in to see my doctor.

If you could stock pile a small stash to help you through tough times ahead, wouldn't that be ideal? Don't try, just do it.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For a couple of days out of each month, I take a tablet less than prescribed, in order to build a stock pile of meds for emergencies. I can't feel any real withdrawal if I just skip a dose here and there. I'm not saying cut out a dose a day for a week or anything, but give it a try about twice a week, and in a month or two you'll have a decent amount saved up for an emergency. My own doctor was the one who advised that, since I'm so far away from his office and from my pharmacy. Having a few extra on hand like that would give you a bit of a cushion in circumstances like these.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 pm 

Stocking up...ive done it and never worry about something going wroug. All though i go to a great safe clinic with a good dr,many drs really,it is good to know i wont run short.As the others ha ve said this can be done simply by cutting back a mg or two each week. . gives me some xtra peace of mind..other wise i would be screwed. My Dr has said one script a month and that is it.so......best of luck..razor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies! Yesterday and last night were really rough, and I couldn't manage to get on here to write anything. The pharmacy was not able to fill it due to it being early. However, I called my doctor's office and they were very supportive and understanding. I'm so lucky to have an office with a suboxone program, where the staff understand and are nonjudgmental. They were able to get me in early this morning. Since the script was early they had to change my prescription a bit - it was slightly increased from 3mg/day to 4mg/day. Otherwise it could't have been filled for several more days, leaving me in the same boat. They mentioned that this year is often difficult for people. One of the secretaries always gives me a hug - sometimes the littlest things can make a huge difference. I felt like death this morning dragging my bone-cold butt out of bed, but the sunrise was beautiful. Life.

Anyhoo, I completely agree with the suggestions to stockpile for emergencies. I'm going to stick to my original dosage and put away extra for emergencies such as this. Best wishes to all of you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 pm 

That is great news. good for you. it does make a difference when you have an understanding dr and support staff. My thought was you would need to see dr ,but great it worked out. Once you get a few stocked up you will see a peace of mind come into play...razor...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First post- Glad to be in the forum. Wish I would have found it earlier. I've been in Buprenorphine for 2 1/2 years now and am going through the taper down process to get off them now. I don't know if I'm ready, which probably means I'm not but my Dr. is forcing the issue. The clinic I go to is pretty much the only Suboxone clinic around and they can only have so many patients, which is a whole other topic I could go off on. I think you should be able to have as many as you want. This clinic costs money to start and I'm sure it's profitable for them to have a Suboxone patient go through the process as fast as possible. My case was special though, I was a hard core pain pill addict for 10 years. I won't go into my story now but I always am having the problem of running out now. When I began I was on 4 8mg's per day. That was a little much but I thought 3 was perfect. I am down to 2 now and have been stuck there for 3-4 months. I have started a new job and with other life problems going on I'm just stressed and have been taking more than 2 a day and I know my Dr wants me off but has gone along with giving me 2. I'm due for my refill on the 26th but I'm out and have been for 2 days. I did what I had to and bought 2 from a resource and would get more if I could but they can't. I know my Dr. would deny me if I asked, well I know if I could ever directly talk to him he wouldn't but the secretary's always deny an early refill. I've tried a few times before. A couple of months ago he prescribed me Clonodine which I didn't fill but finally did tonight because my anxiety is really bad right now. I just want ANYTHING to calm me down. I would even relapse right now if I knew where to get some. I hate that feeling and the funny thing is, it all goes away 15-20 minutes after I put one of those little pills under my tongue. Everything is fine. I'm supposed to take a very important test for my last license on Friday and I can't study. I'm hoping this Clonodine works. Just took it. I HATE RUNNING OUT!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Everything in your post tells me that you are absolutely not ready to taper off suboxone at all. If you're consistently running out, and feel that you would certainly use if you had a source to get your drug of choice, then it's my opinion that you should tell your doctor at your next appointment just what you've told us here, and if he's still insistent that you taper off and jump, that it's crucial for you to find another provider. Since you've been in treatment for over 2 years, even if you have to drive a long distance, you may not have to go often like in the very beginning like when you 1st start treatment. Imo, it would be worth it for you to attempt to get a new doctor. Relapse rates are very high for patients who aren't ready to stop taking subs, or are forced out of treatment. If you're already feeling that you'd likely use given the means to do so, it's not likely that you'll fare well if you stop taking your meds, unless you have an excellent foundation for recovery in place, and lots of support. I hope you're able to continue your buprenorphine, or find another doctor to treat you, just be honest with your doctor about what's going on so that he'll be better able to provide you with the help you need. I wish you the best and hope that you'll keep posting and keep us updated on how you're doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

check this link out for federal regulations on refills for different schedule drugs

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr ... 306_22.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:00 am 

micoboto this thread hasn't been active since 2014 so u may not hear anything bk from any of these posters. But that's great information to have, thank you :)