It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had been on subs for roughly two months, when the need for a discography required a transition back to a full agonist leading up to the procedure. I was given fentanyl patches, 50 mcg on every 2 days. Like an idiot I read how to abuse them and startedwith heating pad and eventually sublingual use by cutting strips. I am almost out And need to stop cycle..... Within a few hours of sublingual use I begin minor withdrawal. How long do I need to waitto take a sub.... Waiting days is out of thequestion... Can I tIe a sub once withdrawal has set in and avoid precipitated withdrawals? The info I can find is littered withhorror stories of pwd after waiting a day or more... Were these ppl not in wd when they dosed first sub? Please help I'm scared and nervous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ucla -

How many days were you using the fentanyl. I just did some checking and the fent patches are long-acting. Unfortunately, that complicates things a bit. I know how to instruct you if you were on short-acting full agonists, but I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

I'll walk you through what I know and maybe we can put our heads together, with the help of other members (where are you donh?). For short acting full agonists like Vicodin, which you've only been taking for no more than 3-4 days, you can wait 12 hours before re-starting suboxone without having to go through withdrawals. But as I said, you've been on a long-acting one so I'm not entirely sure how long you need to wait or if you need to go through another re-induction.

ANYONE??????? Tearjerker???

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on the fent patches for about two weeks, last one came off 10 hrs ago... I have been chewing on about 1/6 to 1/8 of a 50 mcg patch every couple hours as I start to feel onset of w/d..... During the two weeks used heating pads to increase rapid release... Then starting chewing small amounts for breakthrough ( I know that's idiotic!) now I just want off the fentanyl and back on subs for a day or so then deal with minor wd symptoms the few days before my procedure... I'm almost out of the patches and sick of the cycle.....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Will this help?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just found a tapentadol 100 mg pill ( nucynta ) which is what I took before transitioning to bupe. I took several tapentadol pills around 5 pm the night before I was induces to bupe in dr. Office . I scored high enough on cows to receive bupe after first test between 9 and 10 am.... So the was about 14 hrs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I have no personal experience with going back onto sub after two weeks on full agonists. In fact I have no idea if you have to do another full/regular induction. But now that I think about it, I'm thinking that you might need to do just that. Two weeks could be enough time so that if you're not in w/d when you first re-start suboxone, it could rip what's left of the fent (and remember, it's long acting) right off the receptors and you'll get your ass kicked right into P/W. Are you getting any more pain meds after the surgery? But you don't have enough patches to last you from now until the procedure, is that right? I'm just trying to make sure I understand you correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Right on both accounts, not enough, and I'm told a few days of oxycodone ir post procedure. According to wikipedia, fentanyl seems to have a short
Half life if not taken transdermally.... And for the last last 2 days I only had a 40 mcg patch on ( cut part off) and that has been off 12 hrs.... So only absorption is from chewing on pieces of patch.... Seems to not last long in system before minor wd...? Anything helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I see your point about the half life and don't disagree with that. It's the long-acting part that keeps hanging me up. I know that it affects someone doing an induction of suboxone for the first time and sometimes they have to wait longer before they can take their first sub dose.

Of course it's up to you. Do you have the COWS scale/sheet? It's at: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

If you've never used the COWS before, it will help you gauge the state of your withdrawals so you know if they're mild, moderate, or severe (based on your symptoms) so you know when to take your first dose. You can always just follow that and induce at your discretion. I'm not suggesting the wait 12 hours and re-start the sub, but only because I am not familiar with how it would work with fentanyl, and I'm not comfortable recommending any specific course of action in your situation. I just don't know enough and that would be irresponsible of me.

I'm sure others with their own knowledge, experience, and perspective will come along shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also I have had Antonio nose since I was down to 40mcg patch transdermal and occasional sublingual pieces of patch.... Now tha I'm only doing sublingual ... Within an hour or two after chewing on patch for and hour, I can't breath through nose and lots of pressure... After 20 minutes chewing on piece I can breathe much better from nose.... Runny nose and congestion seem to be signs of wd to consider? Maybe wd is inserting very quickly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Auto text on iPhone put Antonio where it was supposed to say stuffed nose/ runny nose very congested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ha, ha, don't you love that auto text corrector? It's made me write some very weird things. Anyway, I agree with Hatmaker that there really is no easy answer, and your best bet is the COWS scale. When I induced my doc didn't want me to start Sub until I had intestinal symptoms (so, no, a runny nose wouldn't be enough). There are other members here who have a lot of experience with Fentanyl, so I hope they see your post soon. Good luck.