It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: FEELING STUCK ON SUBS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, but have been on subs for 4 years. I'm currently on 8mg a day and like a lot of other posts on here, I feel stuck. I'm so content sitting on my ass all day watching tv. Exercise helps but I can't seem to ever stick with it. I'm really thinking it's time to start tapering and get off this stuff. Please any comments or suggestions. Look forward to meeting/hearing from ya'll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:49 pm 

LETS GO PENS!!!!,
Welcome to the Igloo, i mean forum...ha...
Hey Pens, well if you really think the subs are cause of your lack
of activity, then i guess tapering off could be a change. The
tapering alone will get your attention. I have 4 years on (almost)
And have bn on 4mgs down from 6 mgs a few months ago.
Ive felt better as ive gone down over the last four years.
However, i have always kept busy. I work all day, i have outside physical
hobbies that keep me going. Thats just me though. Not having more info on your story
i can only comment on what ive read.
Hopefully you have worked a recovery program?. Something like 12 step or maybe
a time with a therapist?
Im sayn all this because im not sure sub is to blame for inactivity. Just my opinion, and
ya ive read this kinda thig before.
If you feel its time and relapse may be a thing of the past, give some tapering a shot.
You would be amazed how sub treatment in the lower doses can lighten your step..

Glad your here posting and asking others for advice and help. Thats what we are here for Pen.

Best of luck
RAZOR...
Ps..i am assuming your a Pittsburgh fan..?..haha..me too.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good points... I have patients who sit and watch TV who are on suboxone, and patients who sit and watch TV who are NOT on buprenorphine or any other opioids. And I have patients on subs who work-out, including one who does marathons about twice per year. I tell ALL patients-- on buprenorphine or not-- that they would feel better if they exercise. About 5% of them take my advice-- and I don't see any difference between those on buprenorphine and those who aren't on buprenorphine. It is hard to get into an exercise habit---- but you'll feel better if you do.

In my experience, people on buprenorphine blame the drug for not exercising... people who aren't on it blame something else. They blame their problems with waking up early enough to exercise. They say they don't have time (although they know what happened on the latest episode of every TV show). They say they are too tired-- and I tell them that's because they don't exercise!

There are reasons, I suppose, to stop buprenorphine. If you feel trapped on it, and can't get your head around the realization that your life has been saved by the medication, that is one reason. But don't expect to suddenly be exercising and losing weight and constantly cheerful, if only you can stop the medication. I've seen people with those beliefs who did stop buprenorphine, and they are always disappointed. I realize the occasional person writes on the forum how much better he/she feels.... but that has not been the experience of people in my practice, where I've treated over 800 patients over the years. At least six of the people who stopped--- who were convinced they would have a better life-- are now dead. I am certain that number is much, much larger, but I don't read the obituaries regularly, and those six are just the ones I happened to see in the obituary column. I also have about 20 patients who stopped subs, convinced of a better life--- who relapsed and went back on them.

I'm not saying you shouldn't stop--- but don't expect a 'new life', free of trouble, when you do.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well could you please answer me this...in all seriousness...out of those 800 patients you've worked with, how many have successfully gotten off of the medication with your help? And if so what was the taper plan like?