It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm new to site. Thank for reading my post. A little about me....I have chronic pain for the last 20 yearso due to several issues, too many to name right now. I have been with pain management for 8 years & it has helped not pain free but has helped, I have never "abused" my prescribed opiate medication, however I of coarse became dependant on them. My pain Dr of 5 years got in trouble & lost his license for unethical practice(giving ppl who didn't need large quantity of narcotics for $) this Dr however was responsible enough to give his honest patients a referral to another Dr. Now I have been seeing this new pain Dr for a little over 2 years, BTW he doesn't take insurance so I have to pay $200 a month for my pain meds, but I did bc I'm in a lot of pain...shortly after I started seeing him he upped my oxycodone dose from 120mg daily to 180mg daily...meds stopped working as good, I asked to switch up type of med to see if the would help instead he just upped dose. After over 2 years he just lost his license too, but this guy would NOT refer anyone anywhere, said he "couldn't by law" I don't believe him. I was given 10 days notice to find a new Dr or run out of meds and goes thru serious WD's. Instead of making myself crazy trying to find a Dr(bc most pain Drs lost their license in my area) I decided to see a suboxone Dr. I figured I needed to get off opiates to see where my "real pain" level was anyway & then maybe start back at a lesser dose....I started sub 16mg on 9/8/16. My ankles swelled up the next day and I was extremely fatigue. So I played with dosing and now I'm taking 2mg 3x daily, the wds aren't bad but I'm in a lot of pain, legitimate pain & I've gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks, not to mention my mood is miserable most of the time. I am very upset about the weight gain, as of recent I lost 25 lbs until the sub. I have endocrine issues most of my life & 2 years ago new endocrine Dr finally diagnosed me correctly & started me on meds the worked great and helped lose weight quick! I'm just looking for some advice on what I can do? Does subtex cause weight gain and/or swelling? Does it help with pain? Maybe I can ask my sub Dr to writ me for 10mg percocet or hydrocodone or even tramadol??? Idk what to do :-( thanks so much for listening to my rant.... this has been the most informative sub site I've come across,people really seem to know what they're talking about& show support here. Hope to hear from someone soon. Stay safe & god bless us all ♡

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi again, maybe I'm asking the wrong questions or maybe my post/question is wayyyy to long and for that I'm sorry, I just have so many questions about sub & what's going on with me.

Should I start with shorter questions first to get a reply?

Thanks all

And WOW! I am just in awe on how incredibly knowledgeable this Dr is! Wow...just watched 2 of ur YouTube vids. Thank u for sharing all ur info & insight!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:42 pm 

Hello Always,
So glad you found us . Welcome.
Your posts are fine, not to loug at all. This is the place to let it fly my friend . The best thing you can do as you ve all ready found and done is to read and watch what Dr. J has to say about this treatment and recovery.
His Talkzone blog is a great place to find answers.

Sorry your in such pain. We hear this many times. Id forget about having a Sub Dr RX painkillers with your sub. Im 99% sure he won't. It just does not happen.But you could ask...

Your dosing at 6mgs now, down from 16mgs because of weight gain and body fluid? , I think I have that right. Buprenorphine for some can put weight on, and in a few people weightloss. The debate is on if either is really true though. Not getting into that rjght now. But I believe you are in such an early stage of all this that your body is trying to stablize and adjust to all this change.
This will take time. Especially if you are moving your dosages around. Sorry I can't give you straight answers, it is hard to do over the internet but if I were you I would definitely watch and resd as much as you can from Dr J.

As far as Subutex, they are mostly the same medicine. Subutex is just plain generic Buprenorphine. Some people can do better on it for whatever reason. Maybe your dr can switch you.
Im not a dr but 16mgs to start is a large dose Always. If your staying on 6mgs, stay on it for two weeks or so to get stable.
Keep posting and reading Alwaysblessed, we are here to help the best we can .

Razor

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey AB,

Welcome and glad you are here. Your first post is great. Just great. we appreciate as much info as we can get to better help us help you. its a Sunday night and might be slow w folks watching football or getting ready for work tomorrow. More will come along...

On weight, we do have folks mention wt gain. and the opposite. Recently had 2 stop due to severe wt loss. You might try the search function at the top, in keyword field, type in ankle swelling bc I recall a prior thread stating the same. Same for weight gain, type it in the keyword field and read up. same for wt loss. Both are reported.

Adding a low dose full agonist opiate such as you listed will not help bc it will be blocked by the bup. If someone is on bup and needs add'l pain relief such as after major surgery, higher doses can be given for short times all the while staying on a low bup so no wds occur. But this same method of bup + a full opiate is not utilized for chronic pain mgmt as is frowned on or worse maybe...

What were your pain meds and dose amts? trying to get a sense of your drug tolerance level bc that matters. You've been on bup 17 days and usually one settles out by now but some report 3-4 wks to get adjusted to bup. Again welcome welcome. This is a great place and you will learn so much from all here... Wishing you my best, Pelican

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL, Razor and I were both responding at the same time and said basically the same. So now you know folks are here reading along and hopefully more will come along soon. Keep reading and asking for help. Pel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u both so much for ur replies!

I have been on prescribed oxycodone 150-210mg daily for 8-15 years(some down time in between)for several back & joint issues.

I'm on a bunch of other non narcotic meds for other issues not concerning pain &thought maybe that would have something to do with how crappy I'm feeling.....but guessing it doesnt.

I take my 6-8MG of sub thru out the day, not all at once, maybe could have something to do with how I used to take my oxy and it's just a habit type thing??? Is it better to take all at once?
I so bad want to be adjusted & be "Normal"
the last week I i find myself crying when I'm alone in the car, yelling at my pervious pain Dr. He just had to be so greedy & now I'm forced to be on Suboxone.....but I know in reality it's probably a good thing I was forced off oxy, was on high doses for such a long time...

Dr started me with 24mg sub a day! No way in gods green earth could I handle that. Sometimes I feel like I can't even handle 6mg. I'm always a miserable B**** all day and then around 9pm I seem to level out in my mood & pain & I dont feel so loopy on subs either. It's all so weird. Is this normal?

Any tips on how to become more adjusted and my happy self again?

I did key in swollen& read a bunch of comments & posts ect, Thank u so much..still trying to navigate my way around this amazing little place on the net! Thrilled I found u all.
Looking forward to learning all I can about Suboxone & a normal healthy life.

If there's ANYTHING at all I need to tell u to get better advice PLEASE feel free to ask, I'm an open book :-)

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm 

Hello again Always,
I see you ve started two threads. Its best to stick with your first one. I know your looking for answers here.

Ok, on your response in anothers thread, you say your on 12 mgs. Earlier Id read you were on 6mgs.

I believe i gave the advice to get stable on one . It sounds to me like you may be on to much overall.
Plus taking a little bit , called chipping, every few hours plays with your blood levels.
Say you settle on 8mgs, 4mgs in the morning then 4mgs in the late afternoon or evening. It ll take some time, week or so but getting stable on one dose is key here. Then you can see how ya feel Always.
I can't know your whole story, were all a tad different, but something is off and it very well maybe a dosage problem.

So many thing play into it though. How well the medicine is obsorbed is a big one. How your body processes it.
This is a good place to learn, no dought.
Wish I had a better answer for you. I do like that your watching Dr J videos. Talkzone blog posts are another.
Maybe Doc J will stop and give an answer himself.

Hang in there Always

Razor....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Razor,
I was on 12mgs then I brought it down 6-8, now today I've only taking 2 or 3 ( I have the orange tabs) so my breaking isn't precise...

When I take more hours later it's bc I'm in pain & hope and pray the sub will help but usually it just makes me feel like crap.....so u are Def right about taking less & at the same time of day.

I think tonight when I go to sleep which is in about 30 mins I'll take 3mg and see how long I can go tomorrow b4 I need more. if I'm good all day then great! If not, then tomorrow night I'll try 4mg and see if that works for the whole 24 hours. That way i shouldnt feel most of the yucky side effects as I will be asleep! :-)
Maybe I'll luck out?

Thanks again for commenting with ur advice,suggestions & knowledge it really means the world 2 me!

U are awesome-sauce :-)
U all are. I wish I could fly up north to meet Dr J.

TTYS ☆