It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on Suboxone for about 4-5 years now. I've had periods of clean time from dope where I only took Suboxone (longest clean period was about 14 months) and periods were I alternated between using dope one day and taking Suboxone the next. As of right now, I've been on Suboxone consistently for the past 2 months. I relapsed several times in april, may, and june of this year after the 14 month clean period. Trying to stay away from dope again...Only problem is taking Suboxone every day gives me severe constipation and digestive issues. I'm in pain nearly every day from having taken it, some days are worse than others, but I can't not take it for obvious reasons. I'm at a point now where I feel stuck. I've tried stopping everything before, suboxone included, got down to about .5mg a day and couldn't go down any further because I felt terrible just in general even though the stomach pain was gone. I just don't know what to do with this anymore. If I take Suboxone, I'm in pain. If I don't take Suboxone, I crave dope and can't deal with the withdrawal (even if I taper slowly, once it gets down to a certain dosage I can't seem to go from that to getting completely off of it).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Tanya,
I hope you'll take everything I say with a grain of salt because I have no good experience with what you're going through. I felt compelled to reply and try to offer some encouragement. It seems to me that no matter what you do to get off suboxone its going to be difficult. Some people aren't as fortunate to skip withdrawals. However, if you are in a constant state of pain, disappointment, sadness, etc while on suboxone and/or H I would feel that coming off wouldn't be much worse. The difference is that when you come off you can heal, slowly. If you stay on these symptoms may get worse or at least not better. What in your mind seems more rational? To push through a few weeks of withdrawal pains and then start healing or stay in pain for as long as you're on suboxone. To address the relapsing, I can't give any advice except for finding all avenues to avoid relapse when you're off subs i.e the shot, AA or NA, duct tape yourself to a chair, or whatever else you can think of. I know its hard, I have 4 months clean off suboxone and its a challenge. But from what I'm seeing life on the other side, for me, is worth it. Lastly I want to say if you can find a way to counter these symptoms and stay on suboxone and work a recover that is an option too. No issue with suboxone for life from me. Again you probably shouldn't listen to me. Someone a little smarter will probably address this soon and know what they're talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there, I have a couple questions I guess. First, when you take the suboxone, do you swallow the remaining saliva, or spit it out? For me personally, I have found that if I swallow the saliva, I usually have to go to the bathroom about 15-20 min after dosing. I think it's the naloxone, regardless, it keeps me regular.

Also, do you want to be on suboxone for at least a little while longer, or are you determined to get off? I started taking a lower dose, and that was key for me. Way less side effects in general, and I still get the benefits of being less depressed, having more energy, and having at least some of my cravings taken care of.

For me personally, I need to be on suboxone for the long term if not forever - I have chronic pain and depression that are much less noticeable on sub. There's nothing wrong with that at all, and to me it's a small price to pay to remain clean AND happy, but everyone needs to make that decision for themselves.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't technically "want" to get off of Sub right now because I know me and as soon as the withdrawals get really bad, I'm going to start to get depressed and crave and either take a piece of Sub making the whole thing pointless or even worse, say F the Sub, I want dope. And yes, I do swallow my saliva while taking Sub, but generally I try not to until it's fully dissolved...either way, I never spit it out though. Sometimes, yes, it does make me want to go to the bathroom right after I take it, which helps, but other times it doesn't and as soon as I eat lunch or dinner it makes it even worse. At this point I started taking a lower dosage the past 4 days and the pain has subsided for the most part. However, the fucked up part is that I wasn't even taking that much to begin with...3-4mgs a day I used to take and now I went down to 2. It sucks cause 3-4 barely helps with cravings and depression, especially since I've had recent relapses, 2 helps even less. And on top of that I'm also taking Miralax every day. I've been to the hospital numerous times in the past because of the pain and they told me to start with the Miralax. 800mg ibuprofen helps sometimes, depending on what kind of pain it is. Also, it didn't use to be this way several years ago. When I first started taking Sub, I was taking a full 8mg strip and there were no issues. This whole thing with my stomach started when I was about 2 years into taking it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I guess if I were you, I would just try everything possible to straighten out the stomach issues that sub is causing for you. I also find taking it earlier in the day makes it more likely that I'll go than later on, for whatever reason. I'd try the natural stuff first like senna tea or products, then move on to stuff like Miralax. Have you talked to a doctor? Is there anything they could prescribe? It sucks that this is such a problem for you, even on very low doses... it hasn't been such an issue for me, but I know it can be for many.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There's nothing that doctors can tell me besides to take Miralax or stop the Sub. I'm taking the Miralax because I already got told by the hospital to do so. I've also been to a GI and got all sorts of tests done, they couldn't find another cause besides Sub. The only other theory the doctor had was telling me to get tested for Hep C and HIV...Hep C I do have, HIV I don't. But apparently Hep C has no connection to anything. So again, dead end, and my only two options (Miralax or detox) still stand. However, it's really only one option I guess because I've still been in pain doing the other option.

At this point, I jumped down again, from 2 to 1. I'm restless, hurting, cold, and my heart rate is through the roof for some reason. I was technically supposed to wait until later in the day to take the 1mg...the point of that was to try to get used to not having it during the daytime, but no such thing ended up working out. Come noon I took it anyway. Granted I'm probably doing it way too fast and that's why it's so difficult to stand, but I can't take the pain anymore.

Although I was thinking about the whole dope thing, and decided that maybe it's not the Sub keeping me from craving...cause like I said I'm taking a low dose anyway. And after having relapsed 2 months ago, that low of a dose shouldn't be doing jack squat in the cravings department. So instead, maybe I'm just choosing not to do it because I simply don't want to do it...and if that's the case then I shouldn't want to do it in withdrawal either. So far, that theory is working out because I was in a pretty noticable amount of withdrawal until I just took the 1mg and I still didn't want to get high. Especially knowing that dope has done the same thing to me in the past that Sub has...granted not right away because I usually don't eat all day if I get high, but the next day, the withdrawal and the pain hits me like a ton of bricks. So, hell, if anything I just want to feel normal at this point. I haven't felt normal since I first started getting bad on dope 4 years ago and imagine that, I miss it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tanya, I was a serious heroin addict (cocaine too), then switched to Methadone for several years. I ended my Meth taper with six months of Subs taper, and am now 49 days free from all drugs.

I used to get caught in self-destructive cycles of addiction, i.e. 'I need to take X so I can feel like Y or stop feeling like Z,' but I reached the point where I could no longer live that way. I was totally stalled in life, and deeply unhappy.

For me, going totally clean was the only solution. Takes work to get to the point where the drug cravings are removed, and it isn't always easy, but I find sobriety 20 times easier than living in active addiction. I feel like my life is moving forward again, and I'm finding real happiness that wasn't possible for me in active addiction (H and the prescription stuff).

If you're not ready to go clean yet, I hope you get there eventually.

-- ji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, i just wanted to share some experience for your constipation. Aloe Vera 99.7% pure oral juice. 2 tablespoons every morning on an empty stomach. You should see results in 2 hours. Once you have a regular bowel, then you drop to 1 tablespoon every morning. This is a fantastic product i used in my sub detox to get rid of toxins faster, but its also for constipation. I got my aloe vera juice from my local chemist. I hope this helps your problem. I really swear by it : )