It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Feeling Impatient!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm on a supervised reduction (UK Nhs). I started just 4 weeks ago reducing from 12mg to 10. I did feel it a bit, but it was nothing compared to past withdrawals. The plan is 2mg down every 2 weeks.

I've been on 12mg for about 8 months.

Thing is, it feels like it's taking forever. Once I get down to 2mg they plan to switch me on to Temgesic for another couple of months. Part of me wants to just bite the bullet and jump way sooner. I know that's stupid, and I've read loads of posts on here detailing how miserable it can be.
I was just wondering if anyone has similar thoughts, and if the SLOOOOW... reduction is too much to take?

Last edited by Kanzeon on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Feeling Impatient!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kanzeon wrote:
I'm on a supervised reduction (UK Nhs). I started just 4 weeks ago reducing from 12mg to 10. I did feel it a bit, but it was nothing compared to past withdrawals. The plan is 2mg down every 2 weeks.

I'm on 8 at the moment, due to drop to 6 this Saturday coming. I have to collect my meds every other day from the pharmacy, and they watch me take them, but on the other days with the take-home dose, I have already started reducing to 7mg every other day, to make the transition to 6mg smoother. I also plan to take 7mg for 4 or 5 days before dropping to the 6.

I've been on 12mg for about 8 months. From the very beginning I started keeping 2mg pills back. My initial plan was that when I got off the Subutex I could leave it a while then start to take small doses recreationally :roll: .

As time's gone on my goals have altered quite a bit, and that is now the LAST thing I would want to do lol. It's worked out quite well though as its given me a bit of flexibility as they are quite rigid with their prescribing.

Thing is, it feels like it's taking forever. Once I get down to 2mg they plan to switch me on to Temgesic for another couple of months. Part of me wants to just bite the bullet and jump way sooner. I know that's stupid, and I've read loads of posts on here detailing how miserable it can be.
I was just wondering if anyone has similar thoughts, and if the SLOOOOW... reduction is too much to take?

Hello Kanzeon and welcome!
There are many people on this forum with great advice and experience that I have learned from, and if you stick around, I'm sure you will too. I am a relative "newby" here, but am happy to help if I can. I also "tapered" off (Suboxone strips- 12mgs down to "zero" and am currently on my 5th day "free"! I had an 8 YEAR habit- yowch, right?). I have been a member of this forum for about 2 months, and have learned there are many ways to get free of this drug, you need to find what works for you. FYI, my taper took 6 + months, btw, and I did it "on my own' with no dr. supervision. So, "sloooow" is all relative, KWIM? A brave few have jumped off (quit) from high doses (2-16mgs- yes, 2mgs is still a lot!) and made it, but it has been pretty rough. I "jumped" from .375mgs, but some go as low as .125mgs (or less!), and then skip days before they jump. You will find records of all types of success stories here- I would read as much as you can, but remember, we are not drs here (except for Dr. Junig) but I personally have found TONS of wisdom and support here- could not have done it by myself. I don't know if "subutex" is the same or just similar as the "suboxone strips" that also have the naltrexone?
I understand your desire to get "off" and maybe since you were not on for too too long, your "jump" will be easier than those of us hooked for "years". If you'd like to read a bit of my story to learn how I tapered, my original thread is I think on page 2 now of this section and called 'Need Support'. My original username was "rca1004". When I "jumped" I 'started anew' and my new thread is called "Flying to Freedom" and is on page 1.
"However" you choose to get "free", good luck and keep posting!
BF

PS. I have heard "mixed" reviews of Tamgesic- I would research carefully!

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi BF. Thanks for the welcome :D

I will take a look at your story - chances are I have read it already as I have been Lurkio McSneakyreader for the last couple of months. And I agree about the info and advice...I also like the 'feel' of the forum as well - most definitely recovery focused without being too...evangelical??

I have a feeling my difficulties will begin a couple of weeks AFTER I stop.

I'm 4 and-a-half years sober from alcohol and that was the way it went with the beer.

Re: Temgesic. I understood it was just buprenorphine, same as the Subutex but a lower dose, so I don't see how it could be problematic, but...happy to take advice?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kanzeon wrote:
Hi BF. Thanks for the welcome :D

I will take a look at your story - chances are I have read it already as I have been Lurkio McSneakyreader for the last couple of months. And I agree about the info and advice...I also like the 'feel' of the forum as well - most definitely recovery focused without being too...evangelical??

I have a feeling my difficulties will begin a couple of weeks AFTER I stop.

I'm 4 and-a-half years sober from alcohol and that was the way it went with the beer.

Re: Temgesic. I understood it was just buprenorphine, same as the Subutex but a lower dose, so I don't see how it could be problematic, but...happy to take advice?

Hey! Ya, I had alcohol issues too, but the sub took all those cravings away, so I probably also need to be careful around booze- but right now I don't think? I will want to drink as it has been about 8-9 years? I may have Temgesic confused with something else? I am a bit "confused" in general just 5 days sober, KWIM? Glad you have been Lurkio- ha ha! Good you have a sense of humor- it helps!

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Temgesic is buprenorphine in a dose of .2mg. It's used, mostly in Europe, as a pain killer. I think there is an American counterpart, but I'm not sure about that?

Kanzeon, you can certainly jump from a high dose if you want, but it's rather painful and the duration of the wd's can be unbearable to some. Also, a lot of high jumpers experience lingering wd symptoms for months and months, while tapers usually don't have that happen.

The plan of dropping you 2mg every 2 weeks means that your drops, percentage wise, will increase dramatically and that could be tough. Going from 8mg to 6mg is a 25% drop. Going from 6mg to 4mg is a 33% drop. Going from 4mg to 2mg is a 50% drop. If I were you, I'd point this out to whoever is managing your drops.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ah right! I see what you mean when you show it as percentages. That's also very intersting about higher jumpers having LONGER problems. I suppose I would prefer short term hell than lingering misery. Hmm...? Thanks Romeo! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:08 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

welcome to the new world order. dam, sorry to see it that way, you guys seem to be a view of what America has to come. try and not to drop past 20% drops if you can, or just stop and take a few weeks off and stop. try to get to 2mg before you do it it will help you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

dirtyblonde wrote:
welcome to the new world order. dam, sorry to see it that way, you guys seem to be a view of what America has to come. try and not to drop past 20% drops if you can, or just stop and take a few weeks off and stop. try to get to 2mg before you do it it will help you.

Thanks for the welcome and the wise words :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo described what you'll face jumping from a high dose, but tapering slowly to a minescule dose can also have a downside, prolonging lesser withdrawal fx.

The crazy thing about Subs is how it effects people so differently during a taper.

Longer & slower worked for me. I kept reducing my dose to .15 mg/day, at which point I got a 'need to get off this sh*t now' feeling. Can't prov we this, but I believe low doses were messing with my head. Felt a lot better mentally as soon as I jumped.

-- ji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

johnny_ikon wrote:
Romeo described what you'll face jumping from a high dose, but tapering slowly to a minescule dose can also have a downside, prolonging lesser withdrawal fx.

The crazy thing about Subs is how it effects people so differently during a taper.

Longer & slower worked for me. I kept reducing my dose to .15 mg/day, at which point I got a 'need to get off this sh*t now' feeling. Can't prov we this, but I believe low doses were messing with my head. Felt a lot better mentally as soon as I jumped.

-- ji

Thanks Johnny,

I've only just seen your post so apologies for the delay in responding.

I have an appointment next week and I am going to see what the prescriber recommends re: jumping sooner rather than later.

I will let you all know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you have the proper support and living situation I think jumping from as high as 2mg is possible, but I was on 2mg dose for 2 months before I jumped, so that could have made a difference. I also never took as much as 12mg of suboxone I was on 8mg for almost a year and between 4-6mg the rest of the time.