It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Feeling high at low dose
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello,

I have been on Suboxone for about 3 years now, and am currently on 4mgs/day and have been for the past six months or so. Sometimes I will take less than 4mgs, depending on how my 8mg tablet splits- I have to cut the tablet in half (they're a huge pain when trying to get an exact dose!).

That said, I have noticed a disturbing side effect at a low dose (3mg or less). I feel high. Kind of like that familiar opiate buzz we all used to chase, but also gives me a ton of energy and motivation, and lasts longer. I'm not sure how this is possible or why it happens at a low dose for me. This should not be happening and I am very uncomfortable with this side effect as it seems counter productive. Can anyone give some advice or insight around this? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Crystal

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:30 am 

Hi Crystal, I am now taking 4mgs per day 2mgs am and 2mgs pm. I think I know the feeling that you are talking about. It is not fully that "complete happiness" feeling I would get when using opiates but something similar. I don't get it all the time just every now and then. I just enjoy it when it happens and I am reminded of the hell that I would be in when using...the money spent, keeping secrets, always counting and worrying about running out. I don't have an answer for you about how to stop feeling this way. Is it all the time for you? If you take a little more than half do you still get the feeling? Hopefully Dr. J. will respond to give you an educated response. Please keep posting so we know how you are doing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I started at 16 mg, then 12,8,6 and so on. I am currently on 1.5 mg a day. A very odd thing happened to me at 8 mg a day---I got high. I was on that dose for 3 months and recall getting high about 2 hours after I dosed every day. When I reduced to 6 mg and below never felt high again. Just enjoy it.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:06 pm 

Most of us know that the lower the dose the stronger the medicine feels. Europe was using Buprenorphine for years at micro doses for pain until we got some similar medication like the Butrans Patch which comes in micrograms.

When I got down to 1 mg years ago, if I took another 1/4 mg I would definately feel it. Below that I cannot say.

So you're not alone with that statement. But keep in mind, each person has a different metabolism and reaction to it. We are all separate guinea pigs when it comes to taking any drug.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have noticed the same thing throughout my tapers. I always equated it to my opiate receptor sites not being fully occupied with the bupe, therefore you can get a litttle bit of a euphoria feeling.
Even though I knew/know that being lower meant I felt better, I'm an addict and I would chase that feeling by taking more bupe. Effectively doing the opposite of what I wanted to happen. By taking more I would fill up more or all of my receptor sites making that good feeling I was looking for impossible to get.

I'm a stupid addict.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you to those who have replied thus far. But I'd love even more people with similar experiences to share their thoughts. And obviously Dr. J...!

Crystal

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Crystal, Sorry, I can't help you with that one as I've never tapered but say your feeling high? Wow, I bet that can get distracting. So your tapering off or just down to a low dose? Anyway I just wanted to say hi. I'm new here and kind of new to Suboxone. Around 6 months. I hope all is going well and you get lots of helpful advice. Have a good weekend. Angie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Bamagurl22 wrote:
Hi Crystal, Sorry, I can't help you with that one as I've never tapered but say your feeling high? Wow, I bet that can get distracting. So your tapering off or just down to a low dose? Anyway I just wanted to say hi. I'm new here and kind of new to Suboxone. Around 6 months. I hope all is going well and you get lots of helpful advice. Have a good weekend. Angie

Thanks Angie. Yes, it's true. It's very, very strange. I'm tapering very slowly to hopefully eventually get off, I'm at 3-4 mgs right now depending on how evenly I am able to break the tablets in half. Kind of ridiculous saying it out loud, but that's another result of how ridiculous health insurance companies are right now (insurance won't pay for strips for me to taper down).

I felt a "high" at around 3-4 mgs, vs the original 8 mgs I started with. So be prepared for that. Many will say to not worry about it, but I do because chasing that "high" is precisely the thing we all should be avoiding and certainly not associating Suboxone as a drug we look forward to taking. That's defeating the entire purpose of our treatment and can lead to a word of problems, I.e. Substituting one addiction for another. I suppose the feeling is sort of a "trigger", if nothing else. :/

Best of luck.
Crystal

–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you had to switch to the pills in the first place due to insurance problems. I read over your original post again and it's a good thing you have 3 yrs clean time behind you to help you get ahold of the situation and I hope it doesn't stay this way for you. that could be counter productive to say the least! Maybe when you drop down lower it will be better? The modulator said that Suboxone is actually used for pain at micro grams. That makes me think your getting the "reaction" because your tapering. I know this isn't much help and I pray you'll get an answer to your problem soon. Maybe it will work itself out. I pray it does. Well, I'm here for ya. Best of luck and keep us posted because I am sure there will be a lot interested in how it all ends up. Keep your head up and eye on the prize. You do not have to be on Suboxone forever. 3 yrs clean is quite an accomplishment. Very Good!!!! Keep on keeping on!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can speculate a bit as to why lower doses make people feel "higher". IMO the only plausible explanation is that once your dose is well below the ceiling effect, as your blood levels of buprenorphine drop and reach their trough throughout the day, your receptors actually have a chance to regulate down a bit. This makes its overall effect on the mu receptors in the brain resemble that of a person who is abusing agonists.

An analogy is comparing a person who is smoking cigarettes vs a person who wears a nicotine patch. A nicotine patch provides a steady state of nicotine with no peaks or troughs throughout the day. Whereas a person who smokes cigarettes gets peaks of nicotine after they have a cigarette, giving them a feel-good rush that's far more rewarding and addictive than just having the consistent level provided by the patch.

A high dose of buprenorphine is like a nicotine patch. Because of the ceiling effect, the overall effect on your mu receptors is a steady state with no ups and downs throughout the day. However once your dose is significantly below the ceiling effect, your opioid receptors start to experience the peaks and troughs, ups and downs, which lead to some feelings of "wow this is nice" after you take it. Conversely you may also start to feel the "I need my Suboxone NOW" feelings when it's coming time to take your next dose. These feelings are actually reminiscent of active addiction, which is why doctors prefer to dose people over the ceiling level.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:01 am 

U explained that very well teejay! I understand it perfectly....plus I'm a smoker who's had experience with the patch lol, so it all made perfect sense to me :)