It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys... quick intro, my name is Amanda, I started a thread in the induction section detailing my recent induction onto Suboxone... My drug of choice was oxycodone that i dabbled with on and off since 2010 after i had major surgery and took a liking to the pills the doctors prescribed for recovery, as they lifted my depression and brought me out of my anxious shell... however, i recently became majorly addicted for the past 9 months..daily usage multiple times a day.... i started out so low! god, i remember those early days,feeling great off of 15 mg.... ha! it didnt take long before i was taking 130mg at a time...3 times a day!!. so i guess we can average that out at 400mg/daily usage of oxycodone. :(

i'm just feeling a little ashamed tonight so i thought i'd come on here and share.... i've been on suboxone for exactly 1 week now. (WOW, no more pills!!! hooray!!!) however, i'm a bit ashamed of my dosage... its 14-16mg. a day...seems very high. unbelieveably high to me when i stop to think about it. i mean...IV heroin users arent even on 16 mg/day. (some are, yes, but not all).

Dr. J wrote that 8 mg should be MORE than enough for *anyone* on the first day of induction.... is that just the *first* day? or...what? isnt the ceiling , like, 4 or 8 mg?

am i on too much suboxone??? thanks for listening guys, whoever is. i'm just basically venting here. i appreciate the ability to do so. :) you all are angels :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Nothing to feel guilty about, once you start to feel normal just start reducing the dose ontil you get to where your comfortable. After a few years on about 4mg a day I tried to taper off completely and got down to about 1mg per day and felt better on that dose than I had before on 4. Suboxone is not like most opiates it is either working or not I've never really felt any different from taking more or less at a time always exactly the same. But I always took my suboxone 3-4 times a day throughout the day, so wether I was taking 1mg at a time or .3mg or 2mg it always seemed to make me feel the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:13 am 

Amanda. .
You are doing great. You are. Please please don't get caught up in "im doing it wroug" thinking. Just because you hear that others in recovery are doing it one way does not mean your way is wroug. ITS YOUR RECOVERY Amanda. Its been a week!
Sure theres a ceiling but what makes you feel stable IS the most important. If that is 12 14 16mgs now, then it is. Who cares!?!? You not living the life of a useing addict now. Your free to move on with life and all the it can give. Hey, i was on 16mgs the first year. Dropped to 8mgs over night one night. It was easy BUT, I made that decision, No One Else. I learned it here back in 2012 that there was a ceil effect but I didn't feel Guilty . Not Ashamed. My god dont we have enough to feel shame about. Guilty about!

The heck with it Amanda. If you feel well, have the feeling of well being, are not craving then you have found your dose.
Don't get caught up in what others are doing, what works for you is yours.
Im very lucky. I chair a group twice a week at our clinics hospital. I see how shame a guilt plus misinformation can lead a person the wroug way. I direct them all to this site. Its wonderful for them to read and learn. But what also is stressed is that after your stable, don't look for problems that are not there.

This is about stopping and staying stopped off of opiates. And you are doing just that. YOU should be Proud today. You took that leap of faith and its working for you. And tapering, well thats for another day not in the first week.

Stay stable stay stroug. Imo....your fine..

Razor r..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 am 

Amanda I think ur fine on ur dose! U know what, when I read that ur dr let u decide what dose was best for u, I thought you'd have picked a very high dose....but u didn't! I was wrong and I was happy about that lol. See, ur feeling guilty about ur dose and I'm actually proud that u didn't go higher. U have nothing to feel guilty about. When I started sub, I was on 16mg and I stayed there for a yr or so. It's ok and it's nothing to be ashamed of. U gotta do what's best for u. Take suggestions that work for u and leave the rest, that's my advice to u. Don't overthink it too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi amanda,

I too was inducted at 12mg and I was probably taking less meds than you. So dont worry!! Over time your body will level out and you will taper down to a lower dose "naturally."

I stayed at 12 mg for about 6 months. Then after that I just kinda "forgot" to take the 4mg dose sometimes so i went to 8mg. But even if I stayed at 12mg, I was thriving at that dose. So why not stay where you are at? especially if you are doing so well.

the only reason why I decreased my dose was because i felt the same at a lower mg. over time this will happen to you to too. Keep up the great work! and be glad that you are treating your addiction with this life saving medication. No matter the dose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Impala, Razor, Jenn....

* thank you* guys... for taking the time to follow my posts and write well thought out responses. When I think about it, I really need to work on my insecurities. ... They probably led in part to my taking opiates I'm the first place. I always feel guilty about something or other... Or anxious or worried or shy... So I'm going to try and take your advice and give myself a hell of a lot more credit and start being good to myself... Its so hard to change the negative self talk...its just always been there and the pills drowned it out for the time being... Made me feel like the person I want to be sober but never was able to due to irrational anxieties...
I really need to get to the bottom of my mental health issues ::sigh:: so much to work on. But work I must.
Thanks again for listening, everyone out there... ☺