It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Feeling alone
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone I'm new here and so glad I found this site. I need someone who understands. So far I have no one to talk to and I have so many questions that I have talked to my doctor about but he just don't satisfy. Like I ask this very important question I ask what if I have a wreck or just a bad abset tooth and really need pain control what will I do just suffer? He says oh they will know what to do at er and as far as dentist he will just need to treat you the same as everybody else. Probably a script for norco and you just skip your pill that morning (subutex) and it will work just fine. But I see on internet where it takes a lot longer than that. Once I tried that I had a very abset tooth and had a few norco that was my drug of choice I used to take about 20 10 mg pills a day and I had some left over when I stopped them and went to the clinic and got put on subutex. Anyway I took 3 and it helped the pain some but then I started having withdrawals from skipping my subutex that morning. I'm just confused I thought if you take opiates you would not have withdrawals but I did and had to wait at least 8 hours before I could take any more subutex. Can someone explain to me because I'm putting off getting all my teeth pulled and get dentures because I'm scared of no pain controlled and going into bad withdrawal. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Feeling alone
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:37 pm 

Hey bumpyride welcome.

First of all I can't really explain the whole pain control issues and using other opiates with suboxone because I don't have pain and thank goodness I've not had any surgeries since my treatment started. If u go to the search bar, type in pain control on suboxone. Dr J has some very good information on this exact topic. Also go to the Suboxone and Surgery section and read through there, there's a wealth of information on this forum. But someone who's been through it themselves will probably be along shortly and can help u.

I did however have a horrible abscess tooth a couple yrs ago while I was on sub. It was a back tooth so I ended up just having it pulled. I had partial bone exposure and stitches. My dentist told me that he'd normally give someone with this situation more pain medication than normal. I told him I didn't want any pain medication unless I just had to so I just went with ibuprofen 800 and a little bit extra suboxone for my pain. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked out for me. Suboxone did a great job. Now u could be different but I thought I'd mention it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I recently had 18 teeth pulled and a bone shaving procedure. All you have to do is stop taking the suboxone 24 hours before surgery and you'll be able to get relief from opiate pain meds. If you ever got in a car wreck or something, trust me, they have the ability to cut right through the suboxone if you're in tremendous pain. I took 10mg oxycodone qid for 5 days. I went back on the suboxone 24 hrs after I took my last oxy and had no issues at all.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'll find tons of information at my blog, [url]suboxonetalkzone.com[/url] , about surgery on buprenorphine... or go to http://www.suboxsearch.com and search the blog for 'surgery'. Yes, as infidel says you can stop buprenorphine for a few days... but you will still have a high opioid tolerance in that case. True surgical analgesia requires a relatively high dose of an opioid agonist-- e.g. oxycodone. Your doc is NOT correct in telling you to just do what other patients do. You will be fine during the extractions, as that pain is usually controlled by a block using local anesthetic... but you will need something else for pain control, after the procedure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've heard subutex is not as good as suboxone what do you think? I have a hard time leaving my subutex off so I could try and get pain control. The time I did this I had pretty severe withdrawals. I told my doc about it and he said it was in my mind but it wasn't just in my mind I had diarreah aches and was so sick. Do you have any advice about this problem. I would hate to show up at dentist in withdrawal. I think the problem could possibly be I took so many norcos before I got help that maybe now since taking the subutex 7 months I have a high tolerance and it's gonna take something stronger than norco 10 mg. I appreciate any info you can give me. I just want to get teeth done and move on. One more thing. Since being put on subutex instead of suboxone I have some craving and withdrawal everyday. Some days are better than others. My doc says generic is not consistent some may be stronger than others is this true? Please any information i would appreciate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:18 pm 

What dose are you on of subutex, Bumpyride? Subutex is not less powerful than suboxone. The only difference is that one has naloxone mixed with it and the other doesn't. You are actually pretty lucky to be on subutex because it's probably cheaper than suboxone and people seem to take it better than suboxone.

It could be that you need to be on a higher dose to cover your receptors and take away the cravings. As for pain relief with the dentist I think you will just have to take more of the pain meds until they work for your pain.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry so long to respond. I'm having a really hard time with my teeth. I have been reading other post from this site. So now I wonder if what I'm thinking of talking to my doc about is crazy. I was wondering why I can't be prescribed oxycodone which would help with the withdrawals and maybe even this awful toothache then have my procedures take pain med for a day or two til I'm better then go back on the subutex. I should be asleep now but when I lay down teeth hurt so bad I can't sleep. This is really making me want to just go back to the way I used to be. Get this subutex out and take pain pills til it don't hurt anymore but I know that's not the right way to handle it. I don't ever want to go down that road again. I just got to get teeth fixed. I've taken so much ibuprophen my stomach is killing me now. What do y'all think any advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello bumpy,
It's going to be ok!
I'm not sure if you followed up DR J's link, but recently I asked how to deal with pain after plastic surgery. Yes it is different but DR J, highlighted that it is often difficult for ppl on maintenance to stop their Bupe before surgery. Another practical way of dealing with this is to continue a low dose of subs(4mg) and providing your sub dose is taken first or well before anything else, it said to be safe to take short acting opioids like oxycodone on top of Bupe.(just not the other way round!) I would read his links because he gives specific info on doses and dosing schedule for effective pain relief.
Let us know on how you fare!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:57 am 

Yes and also there's been ppl print out the posts from Dr J about surgery while taking suboxone, and taking the printout to ur Dr. I think that would be a great idea for u. I know ur in terrible pain, most of us have had that kind of pain before and it's terrible!! When I was going through an abscess, I remember saying that I'd rather be in labor lol...... I really hope u feel better. I took Advil continuously during that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:28 pm 

Bumpy, I take a low amount of bupe (2 to 3 mg a day) and when I have terrible neck or head pain I take Nucynta ER on top of it. That has been working for me for a couple of years now. It is possible to take opiate painkillers on top of your dose.

Amy