It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Feel the burn!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I love running! I love everything about it. I even love feeling sore the next day since it's just a little reminder that I really worked hard, and it's a sign that I will be stronger soon.

I never made this connection but I think the pangs and pains of withdraw work the same way. Now I'm going to keep going very slow with my taper, since I don't want to experience any unneeded pain. But, I think if I just think of it as muscle soreness... it's just this healing process that I need to get through it won't be so bad.

I wake up some days and feel my body hurting, the dreams are very vivid and they wake me up. I can sweat a lot. And there is that feeling that the world just isn't right... a feeling like doom is looming over you. Those are the early withdraw feelings that I have from time to time even though my taper is quite slow.

But, I'm just "in training" --

Each day that I push past a little soreness I'm getting closer to my goal: being string and happy again without drugs. Like I was one year ago before this nonsense all started. I really think in messing around with pain pills and such I overestimated my will power and my ability to quit. I have learned my lesson and no one needs to tell me twice.

I think I'm mentally better equipped to deal with withdraw now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

heatwave,

That's a fantastic attitude!! Good for you on being able to maintain such a healthy attitude.

Your second to last paragraph reminds me of a saying I know, we addicts tend to underestimate the power of the drug we are using while simultaneously overestimating our power to control it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:34 am 
Hey im a runner myself, i love long distance and the aura of ultra running but my two cents is the false bravado you feel from an endorphine release after running is simply not enough to get you through withdrawal, simply treating it like muscle sorness will not work while in serious detox, believe me i ran a half marathon after quitting triple a hockey and ran a half marathon after my first six weeks of running, detox of sub is a DIF type of pain that you cant really compare, running helped my mentality, but not as much as i thought it would to be honest. Being up for weeks on end without sleep you cant really convince yourself its just muscle soreness haha, and i ran through my taper till i got down to .5 and never even really had pain till i jumped, 30 days later and i feel like im in a shithole and havent been able to REALLY run since i got off, cant wait for that day i think running is a better tool for staying clean, then Getting clean. Cause remember that hyped up happy feeling you cant rely on when your brain chemistry is way off i found out.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Running
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh man, I really agree! I LOVE to run...specifically long-distance, endurance running. I love having a good play list on to keep me pumped. I feel like I can think so clearly when I run and can untangle all this stuff in my brain. I love when you run long enough that you cannot even feel it anymore...you are like a machine. We moved to a pretty high elevation in the fall and running it a LOT harder...but it's still a beautiful thing...when there isn't snow and ice on the ground... :wink: I cannot really feel w/d when I'm running, and then of course, it makes me sleep better. I know it can be hard on one's knees but walking just doesn't do the trick for me.

It's weird, because it seems like people fall into two categories. They either LOVE to run or HATE to run and think people who like to are nuts. There's no apparent middle ground.

laddertipper