It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 pm 
Im grateful to be on suboxone so I dont want to seem like a whiner but I dont have insurance and am paying out of pocket. The thing that has been bothering me is since induction when I started out on 16mgs my doctor has been prescribing 2mg tablets the entire time. I had done a ton of research on subs before I started treatment but never realy looked up the specific prices. What is irritating me is that come to find out I have been paying double the price just because he writes them for 2mg tablets instead of 8mg tablets. The 2's cost 4$ each so in essence I have been paying 16$ per 8mgs vs 8$ if he just Rx'd the 8's. Well I have been trying to get ahold of him for 3 days to see if he can change it but i keep getting the run around to "call again tomorrow". The thing is I have weened down to 4mgs daily on my own and was wondering do you think he will have any problem with switching me to the 8's and I could just break them in half and take half of one a day? Im worried since I'm on 4mgs he will refuse and tell me I shouldnt be breaking the tablets. This has been stressing me for awhile now and I realy want to pay the 120$ a month vs 235$ for the EXACT SAME 120 MILLIGRAMS!!!. Just seemed kind of sneaky of him to do that right from the beginning, I mean what is the sense of giving me 8 2mg tablets for double the price instead of giving me 2 8mg tablets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im not sure i understand?

Are you paying the doctor for the sub pills?

Or is this how much they coast at the pharmacy?

If you are getting the pill directly from your dr then yes this is very fishy an i would say something your next visit. But if you are getting your pills from the pharmacy then i dont think the dr is up to something cause none of that money goes to him so it wouldnt make a difference to him of the price.

but if you are seeing one of those dr that actually fills the scripts in house then something is up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:33 pm 
See thats the funny thing about it I have heard the same, that doctors get no extra money for prescribing the meds and I do fill them at a seperate pharmacy so I dont understand why he would not give me the 8's. Do you think he just may not actualy know the price difference? I find it hard to believe he wouldnt know but its possible I guess. If he did know Id be pretty dissappointed because he knows I'm having a real hard time paying and when he asked me why I tapered down to 4mgs so fast I said "because I just cant afford the 750$ a month. He says are you feeling ok at 4mgs and I was honest and said well not feeling that great I get cravings and feel the restless legs still (not enough to drive me crazy or keep me awake all night just very annoying) so I would hope that if he knew the price and what I would save he would of said something. Ive applied for the reckitt and benckiser assistance program because he had an open slot for it and I fit all the criteria but i havent recieved my card in the mail yet and the secretary told me to call tomorrow because they got a paper faxed in and I'm assuming its a rejection notice but I'm hoping for the best. Id realy like to ask to be put on the generic subutex if the assistance comes through but I'm kind of worried to ask, it would be a life saver tho my meds would only cost around 50$ a month give or take which would be such a relief

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read something recently on the board that Reckitt Beckin$er says the pills arent supposed to be cut. Also my doctor always said that too, he plays by RB's rules but I know tons of doctors have no problem with it. Dont want to get into a debate which is better but the film is awesome and easy to cut accurately.

Anyways when I told m doc I was taking 6 mgs when my script was for 8 he looked at me like that was impossible and said "the tablets arent meant to be cut"

welcome to the boards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

glen bee wrote:
I read something recently on the board that Reckitt Beckin$er says the pills arent supposed to be cut. Also my doctor always said that too, he plays by RB's rules but I know tons of doctors have no problem with it. Dont want to get into a debate which is better but the film is awesome and easy to cut accurately.

Anyways when I told m doc I was taking 6 mgs when my script was for 8 he looked at me like that was impossible and said "the tablets arent meant to be cut"

welcome to the boards!

No doubt, RecBec would say that....*much* more profitable for them to sell everyone a zillion 2 mg tabs to make their doses.
I've been on suboxone 2 mg/day for nearly 3 years now, faithfully cutting an 8mg tablet into 4 pieces using a pill cutter. I'm sure I've saved $1,000's by doing this.
Or giving them them the benefit of the doubt....maybe they're just concerned that people won't be able to cut them appropriately.
There is nothing in the formulation that would counter-indicate cutting them, as far as I am aware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey suboxowned -

Did you ever get a hold of your doctor...Did he switch you to the 8 mg? Also did you get approval yet for the patient assistance program(PAP)? From what I've heard, the PAP ONLY covers suboxone. The program is through suboxone's manufacturer, Reckitt Benckiser, and they don't actually sell the generic, other pharm companies do. And I'm pretty sure the PAP doesn't cover Subutex, either. But if you get accepted, you'd be fine getting suboxone, right?

I'd love to hear an update.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm 
Yea I got ahold of the doc last week and he had no problem calling it in and switching it to the 8mg tablets, what a relief instead of 235$ I got the same amount of medication for 106$ I was so relieved. I have not heard any word about getting accepted to the PAP, they are jerking me around so much its realy frustrating. I had the doc fax over all the papers 2 months ago and at my apointment last month I hadnt heard anything so the nurse called whoever it is in charge of the program and they said "we did not recieve his paperwork" even thought it had been faxed already so the nurse gathered it all together again and faxed it a second time and told me to just keep checking my mailbox and I should recieve the Rx card. Well its been another month and no word. Im assuming I was declined even tho I fit all the criteria for it which is dis heartening. If I were to be accepted yea I would be completely fine on the suboxone and would have no need for subutex, its strictly a cost issue for why i wanted the subutex. I see the doc this friday so I guess I will find out if I was accepted or not but i'm pretty sure of the answer. I realy hope I can get the generic if the PAP doesnt come through, Ive had lots of anxiety about asking though, I run through what I'm gonna say in my head and it seems to me he'd have no reason to turn me down based on the fact that he has said he's realy proud of me and the progress Ive been making so we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad to hear you got the 8 mg tablets and were able to save a nice chunk of change.

I don't blame you for being anxious about asking your doctor about the subutuex. Some doctors won't prescribe it under any circumstances (well, if the patient is pregnant), so you know that's a possibility. Plus doctors are a kind of authority figure who happen to oversee our remission/recovery. Sometimes I have trouble asking my regular doctor about something. So don't feel bad about being nervous or hesitating to ask him. And I know it's been a couple of months, but you still might be accepted into the PAP. Is there any way YOU can contact them instead of relying on your doctor's office to do it? Then you can bug them about it. Check online and I think there is a phone number listed (if you don't already have one). Give it a try - what have you got to lose? Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 pm 
Thanks, yeah I recall seeing a number for RB on their website. Do you think I would get answers if i call them directly, or if they would even know who I am based on how many people they probably have to keep track of? I remember another post of someone who is in the same situation waiting on the PAP saying they called and they were kind of rude and dismissive of all of his questions and gave no answers. I guess only one way to find out I should just call them. Im hoping you are correct thinking its still possible even tho its been a long time. To me it seems as if they are trying to get me to by as many prescriptions as possible before they except me (if they do). I think I may know one reason why all of the trouble tho, I never was given any of the paperwork to sign by the doctor for the program. I repeatedly asked both him and the nurse last time "are you sure I have brought in all the paperwork and their is nothing left that I need to get etc." I repeated that question at least 3 times during the appointment to the point of them getting annoyed just to be sure. My parents are the ones who had been paying for me when I signed up and when the doc told them about the patient assitance apparently he had my father fill out paperwork instead of me which I dont understand, I knew nothing about the PAP until after I got home and my parents told me the doctor never mentioned any of it to me. I dont know how my father could of filled it out for me tho, I dont think he would of been allowed to sign my signature for me although maybe they let him but I doubt it. Its frustrating because you have to rely on the doctors to get you the paperwork I heard that RB doesnt allow patients access to the paperwork for the PAP though the internet anymore to print out. Ive got my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not too long ago I posted some information about the PAP under the "LINKS" section.
Here's the post: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2283

And here's the contact info that I found at the time:

RB Processing Center, PO Box 1113, Wayne, NJ, 01474-1113
* Phone: 866-512-2216
* Fax: 866-892-1566

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just did a quick search and came up with totally different contact information:

CONTACT INFO
Address: PO Box 220281
Charlotte, NC 28222-0281
Phone: 1-888-898-4818
Fax: 1-888-407-9788

With any luck ONE of these numbers will work. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:24 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

This is kind of insane.... Never once has my doctor (or anyone else for that matter) told me that you're not supposed to break a Suboxone! WTF? I mean, is everyone supposed to jump off at 2 mgs? I know they have the film now, but what about before then?

That's just dumb.

And as far as the PAP is concerned, if you don't qualify for that, there are those lovely $75 off the films coupons that are good until March..... I like the film. I feel like I have complete control over the amount I'm taking.

Yeah... I have mild OCD issues. It has to be EXACTLY 2 mgs per dose. (I'm down to 4mgs a day! On my OWN!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Calling RB is like jamming flaming hot nails into your eyeballs, it's a total joke. The department you call is never the right one, it seems every department makes their own hours, and they can't just "transfer" your call over. Like I said before in a previous post, from the time I went to the doctors till when I was accepted in the program was under a month but, that was before the card. As long as you qualify there is no way they will decline your membership and if they did your doctor's office would notify you. My guess is the snag in the situation is getting the card out to you, I really doubt RB is in a hurry to give someone free meds.

The best way for you to make contact with RB is through your doctor's office, so stay on their ass. If they are giving you the whole "call back" routine just walk in there one day and ask what is going on. That's what I do if I ever get caught in the no call back zone.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:19 am 
I just wanted to comment about something. I know everybody says that the doctors dont get any benefit from prescribing this medicine or anything from Rickett Benkiser and i do believe for the most part, they dont. However, their are some doctors that do benefit in some way or another because when i had to switch to generic subutex(which is made by a different company) my doctor went from saying im soo proud of you, your doing so well and treating me like royalty, to saying that i was an addict and that addicts cant be trusted etc. Then, the generic started giving me some problems so i switched to namebrand subutex(thank the lord for insurance) and all the sudden i was treated like royalty again. Like i said, im sure for the most part doctors are not getting benefits from RB, but i am a firm believer that their are some that are in one way or another. I know that was a bit off topic and im sorry but this story brought back memories when you started saying how your doctor was saying he/she was so proud of you and that it would be hard to believe that your doctor would do that too you. Anyways, im glad your doctor switched you to the 8mg tablets. I just really find it hard to believe that a "Doctor" didnt know their were 8mg tablets. I hope none of my words get taken the wrong way because i dont mean anything negative by what i've said. Just speaking from some of my own experience. Well, glad everything worked out for you and hope you all have a great day!! ~PEACE~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:32 am 
And for the PAP program. Its a joke!! I was on it for a couple months until i had to switch to subutex because im allergic to the artificial sweetner in suboxone(Acesulfame k Sweetner). It took forever to get approved so dont get discouraged. You just have to be really really aggressive with your approach. Another problem i had, every single bottle of medicine i got from the PAP program had broken tablets and when i say broken, i mean it looked like rats had been eating away at them. It wouldnt be just a few. It was broken and chipped tablets throughout the whole bottle. It was like someone was shaking the bottles up and then handing them to me. Like here you go, heres your meds for the month. I guess they figure since they're giving you free meds, it doesnt matter what condition they're in. Or, RB: "Just be happy your getting anything free from us". Sorry but some of this stuff talked about in this thread hit a nerve. I couldnt help it but im through ranting now. I'll shut up lol. Again please forgive me for my rant. Have a great day!! ~PEACE~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When i went into my docs office for my induction onto the Suboxone he directed me to break the 8mg pill of Suboxone in half and then to break that half in half again and he dosed me with 2mg and then 2mgs again and then told me to take the other half of the pill, and he prescribedd me specific instructions 8mg in the am 4mgs mid day and 8mgs at night and on my Rx bottle it says to take half the pill mid day so, my doc specifically told me to break mine in half and actually prescribed them to me that way, also they are scored, so why would they score a medication that wasnt intended to be broken in half, the whole purpose of scoring medication is to be able to easily break them in half and to be able to take half doses of the medicine so....just a thought :twisted:

Post subject: Dont be ashamed to Rant
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

*LifeSaver* I cannot believe what an unbelievable jackass your doctor seems to be :cry: ..why in gods name name would he be all *rah- rah- shish- coom- bahh* about your progress on Suboxone but when you switched to the generic Subutex he would treat you like your an untrusworthy drug seeking addict? First of all it doesnt sound like you've ever been untrustworthy to begin with, let alone why would he go from cheering you on while your taking one brand, of medication and turn into your enemy, and begin barating you when you switch to a different brand name of the same medication without provocation? Talk about making someone feel self conscious and not wanting to trust them, and then you switch back to a brand name Subutex and he goes back to being your biggest fan? (huh) That makes no sense, i could kinda sorta see if he had his reservations about you switching from the Suboxone to the Subutex and not having the Naloxone as a security blanket but you've shown no reason not to have this doctors complete faith and trust first off and secondly that doesnt seem to be what has *stuck in his crawl*-lol sorry im a southern bell :oops: - because he seems to be back to being your fan now that your back on a brand name of the same damn drug that you have been on all along and not the generic, its not even like you have been switching back and forth on different meds, so yeah id say this doc has got to be making some kind of financial bennefit off of you being on brand name meds it seeems like common sense and also seems ridiculously unethical. And yeah i dont blame you one damn bit for ranting, if i was you id be royally pissed and id be finding out just how this doc is bennefiting :evil: from me being on brand name Rx's