It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I have been taking subutex for approx 2 years to enable me to stop taking methadone and large amounts of narcotic pain meds. I started at 16mg and now I am down to 8mg. I believe it has saved my life! Here is my question: I was involved in a really bad car accident from someone running a red light, totaling my car, etc. I had to retain a lawyer to make sure the damage done to my spine was taken care of. I have been going to a chiropractor for this. Once a month they schedule you to see an MD in the same office. When I went to this apt he wrote several prescriptions without even really talking to me. Naproxin, flexeril, soma, and hydrocodone. I knew I wasn't gonna take anything but the naproxin because I didn't want to jeopradize my recovery. My aunt took me to the pharm to drop them off. I have never informed certain members of my family about my recovery with subutex because they dont understand. Anyways, I havent seen my sub doc since this happened. I only go every 2 months. Even though I didnt take any of the meds do you think he will flag me and cut me off for this 1 time offense? I went to a different pharmacy because that is where my Aunt goes to get hers filled. Is this going to be considered doctor shopping????? I am extremely scared. I haven't taken a single narcotic pain pill since my treatment began with subutex. Please help. I see my sub doc on the 8th of this month. Will he know? and will he cut me off for not disclosing this info to him or the other prescribing doctor? nothing like this has ever happened. thank you

Post subject: Sub program rules
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm 

Hi jb,

I doubt if your doctor would kick you out if you come clean and tell him everything you told us. Offer to do a UA to prove you didn't take any other opiates. He should understand due to the car accident. The only problem I see is you going to a different pharmacy to get the meds filled. Once again, just tell the truth and you should be okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 pm 

I agree with Rule. You haven't taken any hydrocodone, right? You can ask your sub doc what you should do with the prescription, not pick it up, pick it up toss it, pick it up and bring it to him, etc. As long as you're very up front with you doctor he has no reason to be upset with you. You can mention to him that you were with your aunt at the pharmacy and she doesn't know you're on suboxone, so it would have looked funny not to give all of the scrips to the pharmacist.

I don't think you have broken any rules, but I do think you are smart to see the dangerous potential in having hydrocodone around you. The fact that you recognize that this hydro is a threat to your sobriety shows that you're thinking straight.

Be truthful, be authentic, and I think you'll be fine.

Amy