It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 pm 

I am out of good reading material at the moment so I'm hoping that we could get a thread going on our favorite books. Or post about a good book you've recently read.

I'm a Stephen King fan and The Stand is my favorite book, but he has other good ones too. I thought The Dome was pretty good. I also like books by Orson Scott Card. One of his best books, Ender's Game, is coming out as a movie soon. I'm a little bit afraid that it's going to suck! Caleb Carr is another good author. The Alienist and Angel of Darkness are two of his good ones.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cool new thread!

I love reading, I've always got my nose stuck in a book. I tend to get stuck on specific authors, and lately it's been Nora Roberts. She has alot of really good mystery novels out...but I LOVE her supernatural stuff. I just finished the Key Trilogy. Another good one by her is the Three Sisters Island Trilogy, about three sisters who were witches and one heir from each sister has to rejoin in the future to break a spell cast by an evil warlock. LOL...I know, it's cooky...but they are entertaining. Amy, I haven't read Stephen King in a long time. I used to read him TONS...Loved Pet Cemetary, Misery, and IT. Nora Roberts did one with a kind of scary thriller twist call Blood Brothers. The story is about three boys who go camping in the woods on their 13th birthday and release a demon from a stone at the center of a field. This demon wreaks havoc on the town every seven years until they find the way to finally stop him. It was really good.

I'll look through my book shelf tomorrow and give some other ideas. I also have alot of historical novels, and biographies, I'm kind of a Jack of All Trades when it comes to books.

Yay! I hope others come on with suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 pm 

I love all kinds too! Orson Scott Card is kind of Science Fictiony. One of my favorite series as a teen and young adult is by David Eddings. Its genre is fantasy. The reason I love it, though, is that the character development is so good. There are 2 five book series that cover the life of Garion from boyhood through adulthood. I feel like the books are old friends.

There's a series by Lorraine Snelling that I really like. She's a Christian author. Her books are about a Norwegian family that moved to the North Dakota area in the 1800's. Sometimes the Christiany theme gets a little overwhelming, but nothing strange for that time period I suppose. The part I love is the taming of the land and how they did so much with so little.

Elizabeth George writes British mysteries. I don't love all of her books, but some are quite good.

I'll definitely look into Nora Roberts. Doesn't she do the alphabetical mystery books?

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Amy,

Awesome thread and I hope you continue to get lots of responses!

QHorsegal and I seem to have some of the same likes towards reading!

I dive into ANYTHING by Nora Roberts as well! She's definitely my favorite! One of my fav's by her has to be Northern Lights! I have seen the movie on the Lifetime channel probably 5 times now! It's great in my opinion. Check that one out for sure!

Anything that's out by Nora Robert's I have, and recommend to anyone!

Also Stephen King and M. Night Shyamalan when I want a good mystery! Signs and the Sixth Sense are other fav's.

Now please don't anyone laugh (you can if you want to of course! :D ), but I also REALLY love reading Reader's Digest!!! :lol: My dad who is the smartest man I know says he got his Bachelor's Degree by reading every issue printed!!! HAHAHAHA! True. I've seen his collection and he has to have every single one of them!!! There is really plenty of brainstorming to be found in those books! I read em anyway!

That's my reading loves at this time. I will definitely check out the others suggested here too!

Thanks for the cool thread Amy!

Hugs,
Karen xoxo :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm partial to Hugh Hefners publications. Great articles, the pictures are a little distracting, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm 

I tend to love anything that will keep me interested. Reading to me is a form of escape so fiction is mostly on the top of my list.

Yes of course, Stephen King. Right now I'm almost finished with Wind through the Keyhole. That one is part of the Dark Tower series and is kind of geared toward men IMO. You know, gunslinger stuff and all.

If you haven't read anything by Brian Lumley then you are missing some great horror fiction. He will redefine what you think a vampire is. Start with The Necroscope and go from there, in order. It's a vampire heaven.

May I assume everyone has read the Jean Auel books? The Earth' Children Series, eg; The Clan of the Cave Bear, etc? Don't let the titles put you off. They are classics. If you haven't, email me and I may send you the trilogy via mail if you like.

Dean Koontz is good but predictable. Robin Cook is another, but again, predictable.

Let's not forget "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. That is my wife's favorite of all time. Don't read the followup to it though. Rice just made it worse. It's best to guess sometimes. Her vampire's are too girly for me, but still good.

Favorite of all time? Jack London's collection of 4 novel's and almost all his short stories. It is a huge book with small print. (of course) Picked it up a B&N's for a few bucks. Second is The Stand, It, and all of Lumley's vampires.

That should keep you busy for awhile. I got one more but can't remember the name....Google, here I come.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:07 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

If you have not already had the chance to read the brothers Grimm fairy tales they are pretty cool and I enjoy them the fairy tales are not what we know of they are quite twisted and way different from disneys depiction.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 am 

Romeo wrote:
I'm partial to Hugh Hefners publications. Great articles, the pictures are a little distracting, though.

Jeezum Crow, Romeo!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 pm 

You want more? I got more...

Amy, read The Witching Hour, you will love it.

Another fave of mine that I've read twice is Replay, by Ken Grimwood. He won the '88 Best Fantasy Fiction award for it that year. Waaaay too good.

Again, another favorite author is Stephen Hunter. One of his books got made into a movie called The Shooter. It's mostly a man's kind of sniper expert author but he did write one for everybody called Dirty White Boys. Holy Sh##! It is so dirty but so very good. My wife loved that one. For the men, read that one first and then start his sniper novels starting with Point of Impact. That is the book they made the movie about.

That's it for now. Don't want to overwhelm you. I am an avid reader. There better be reincarnation because I'll never read all books I want to in this life. I haven't even started the Jack Reacher series yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have a great book for everyone to read.
Written by a guy named Junig..
Dying to be Clean..It is filled with anything you would need to know
about suboxone and opiod addiction. Very easy to get.
Just e mail from the Talkzone..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I second the suggestion of the witching hour by Anne Rice. That is a GREAT series!

I've never heard of Lumley, you have my interest peaked. I'll look for him next time I go to my little used book store.

Someone above mentioned a christian author. If you're into that type of thing check out the circle trilogy by Ted Dekker. They are excellent stories, kind of in the sci-fi, historical theme with a great action/suspense aspect to them. They also weave, very effectively, the story of creation and the book of Revelation into a fictional account. It was fascinating!

Another one I thought of was the Lucky series by Joanne Collins. Those were some of my favorites years ago. It's about a mob boss and his Daugter who eventually takes over the "family business". Really good if you are into the whole Godfather type books, but from a womans perspective. Well, the first few deal with the Dad, but it's a great series. And also, the Godfather books by Mario Puzzo...one of my faves!

I've got more, I'll save it for the next post.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 pm 

That's funny you mention The Godfather. In 11th grade of HS, one of my classes was reading. The Godfather was the first novel that got me hooked into fiction. Two years later they made it into a movie. I've had a book on the table since 1971.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I"m a Sedaris junkie. Personally, I feel he was in a bit of a slump with his previous book, but he's come back full force with Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is to qhorsegal2 or whoever interested. I just joined this forum and was reading the favorite book or best read section, qhorsegal2 u stated u loved Nora Roberts witch series I have that series I haven't read them all yet but if u love paranormal books u should go get u some Christine Feehans Drake Sisters series they r witches I loved them, all her books are awesome she has the Dark series carpathians, I haven't read that series yet as there is many books to that series I have read her ghost series except her newest books in that series they are also awesome as for her Leopard series love love loved them also. So if u or anyone want some great books to read, check out Christine Feehan :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the suggestion Cleigh! Yes, I do like paranormal fiction...not sure why but it intrigues me. :D

I guess I should update with a few new suggestions myself. As you will see, my reading habits are kind of varied. My daughter has been newly bitten with the reading bug and we have been reading some series together, which if you haven't done as a parent, I highly recommend!

She started me on the Dauntless series by Veronica Roth. It's a Dystopian society type story which is amazing! There is a movie coming out soon of the first book, so I'm kind of looking forward to that, hoping that they don't totally screw it up!

We have also been reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Claire. These are really good too! But please, don't bother with the movie...I have never been so disappointed in a movie in my life! These books are kind of paranormal, but with a twist. It focuses on a group of people called shadow hunters, who....hunt demons, duh! Good stuff, especially since it is written with juvenile audiences in mind but are good enough to hold the interest of adults. The first book was kind of slow, but necessary to give the information needed about the history of shadow hunters and set the scene for the next books. It really picks up in the second, and I was hooked!

OK...more later! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey thanx qhorsegal2, I will have to check them out always looking for good books, I go look at books & if the covers cool I buy it :) My sis lol at me says sis u cant go by the picture , Hell why not, it looks good to me :) Thats awesome u read with ur daughter I bet thats fun. My sis & her son just bought a book they going to read together I invited myself and recently bought the book and asked to read it along with them so it ought to be fun. So as for as Christine Feehans books they do have sexual parts in them just fyi but they are way good. The Drake sisters witch series super good! Anyways thanx for the suggestions on books. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I don't let my daughter read the usual books I read...I certainly don't mind a little sex in my books. :D It keeps things interesting.

The one's I referred to are the only ones we have read together. With the exception of the Hunger Games series. Those were good too. But there is something really cool about reading books together and talking about it. Seeing her get excited about something and waiting on me to reach that part in the book to talk about it together. It's so sweet, and I think it really encourages her joy of reading for herself. I wish that my 12yo son would get the bug...but no luck in that department yet. He has read a few, but doesn't do it unless I make him. Maybe one day!

Welcome to the forum Cleigh! I hope you stick around, we have a great little community here. Lot's of us have formed real friendships and have gotten alot of support with our addictions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Scar tissue, autobiography of Anthony Kiedis (singer of red hot chili peppers). Lots about addiction and recovery. I love music biographies, so I'd also recommend slash self-titled auto bio and i forget what it's titled but it's the biography of Jim Morisson by Stephen Davis, and it's the one with the least bull shit and most accuracy than other bios bout this crazy dude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh and Clapton, the autobio of Eric Clapton. Starts slow but gets really good as it goes along, read it in early recovery in the hospital I was at

Other than music bios, Between a Rock and Hard Place autobio of Aron raulston (real life climber from 127 hours). EVERYONE should read this book. As you read it you start to really care about this guy, so FYI the amputation scene was way harder for me to read than it was to see in the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:24 pm 

I want to recommend a book that just came out. It's called, "And Life Comes Back" by Tricia Lott Williford. Tricia has a blog that I've been following for quite a while. She used to teach at my son's school. I also followed her on facebook.

Just before Christmas in 2010 I saw a facebook status from her that her husband had influenza and it was probably going to make a mess of their holiday plans. Her next status was on Dec. 23, 2010. It said, "My husband died in my arms last night."

This book is a record of of his death and how Tricia was left with two small children to raise on her own. It includes how she made it through and how she's doing now. Her story is infused with parts both questioning and depending on God. Her anger, her depression, and her fears permeate the story. I hope you decide to buy the book. It is truly inspirational, whether you are a believer in God or not. Here is a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/And-Life-Comes-Ba ... 0307731987

Amy