It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I'm new. I've been addicted to opiates for 5 years, have been on suboxone for 12 months straight and chose to do a slow taper about 4 months ago. I went down to .25 mg 2 weeks ago and took my last dose 48 hours ago. This is the longest amount of time I've been clean from prescription pain pills and heroin, so I feel like suboxone along with the counseling I'm receiving has saved my life.

I recently graduated from college, and I want to re-enter the job world very soon. I feel like I'm in a good place to make the jump, and day 2 into it I feel like I'm doing pretty well. Very low energy along with little sleep is the worst part, but other than that I'm okay. Ibuprofen and immodium helps immensely.

I've been reading a lot on this forum, and a lot of what I'm reading makes me feel optimistic. There are some things, though, that scare me. PAWS due to the long half life of buprenorphine is one of those things I've read about, and I'm scared I won't be able to secure a steady job because I don't think I can deal with these withdrawals for months while working. Can someone share with me their knowledge of or experience with PAWS/holding a job and help me feel better about the future? :)
Thanks!

-Reebeckuhh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A lot of people who taper down as low as you did never get PAWS. I'm not saying you won't get it, I'm just saying I think your chances of not getting are fairly good.

If you do get PAWS, it most certainly won't keep you from getting or holding down a job. I usually liken PAWS to dragging a boat anchor around behind you. It sucks, but you can live your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't personally been thru paws, so can't directly advise, but based on everything I've learned here from members who've been thru it, your long slow taper will certainly pay off for you, not only in terms of wd, but paws as well, like Romeo said.
congratulations on your clean time, it really feels good to leave the pills and dope behind, doesn't it? like you,I feel Suboxone and the recovery work in doing have truly saved my life! I'm so happy too see a good Suboxone success story like yours here, when often times while reading online you see so many horror stories! welcome to the forum. you'll find lots of advice and support here. so if you have questions... ask away. if you've got stories, do tell. we are here for you every step of the way

lizzie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Don't get caught up in fears about PAWS.....seriously. First of all, its basically just a set of symptoms that are more than likely on and off again. PAWS is more irritating, annoying kinda things, not the kinda things that make you have a miserable life, if you know what I'm saying.

Prior to a few months ago, I was a "Suboxone success story", having tapered gradually off, and stayed off for about four years, 100% opioid (and other drug) free. While, yes, there were some annoyances, sleep disturbances, some mood instability, teary eyes, trust me, it was nothing to write home about.

Also, working, for me, HELPED. What's worse than sitting around all day focusing on every tiny symptom you may or may not have, focusing on every feeling, sensation, etc.? That's just crazy. Distraction can be a very HEALTHY coping skill, my opinion.

Coming down to such a tiny dose was great....the lower, the better. I used melatonin to sleep, it worked great. There's also a ton of herbal remedies that you could get in any half decent health store for relaxation, anxiety, and so on. Non-addictive stuff that doesn't cause dependency. Valerian root is helpful for sleep and relaxation....aromatherapy is something I swear by too. And keeping up with your counseling will definitely help.

I wish you the absolute best with your journey....you can do it....and it is worth it. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks so much to all 3 of you. What you're saying does make a difference, and I think the most important part of my detox will be having a positive attitude, so I don't fall off the wagon. Day 4 is almost over and things are actually getting much better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

thisagain wrote:
Don't get caught up in fears about PAWS.....seriously. First of all, its basically just a set of symptoms that are more than likely on and off again. PAWS is more irritating, annoying kinda things, not the kinda things that make you have a miserable life, if you know what I'm saying.

Prior to a few months ago, I was a "Suboxone success story", having tapered gradually off, and stayed off for about four years, 100% opioid (and other drug) free. While, yes, there were some annoyances, sleep disturbances, some mood instability, teary eyes, trust me, it was nothing to write home about.

Also, working, for me, HELPED. What's worse than sitting around all day focusing on every tiny symptom you may or may not have, focusing on every feeling, sensation, etc.? That's just crazy. Distraction can be a very HEALTHY coping skill, my opinion.

Coming down to such a tiny dose was great....the lower, the better. I used melatonin to sleep, it worked great. There's also a ton of herbal remedies that you could get in any half decent health store for relaxation, anxiety, and so on. Non-addictive stuff that doesn't cause dependency. Valerian root is helpful for sleep and relaxation....aromatherapy is something I swear by too. And keeping up with your counseling will definitely help.

I wish you the absolute best with your journey....you can do it....and it is worth it. :D

^^ This post is right on. All of those herbal supplements were very useful to me as well. I would add L-Tyrosine into the mix in the morning on an empty stomach to help with the low energy that can come with PAWS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:49 pm 

Reprieve! Your new avatar reminds me of a sign that was hanging up in Dale's RV! (Dale one of the characters in "The Walking Dead".) It was somewhat less coarse: "How about a nice big cup of shut up!" I like yours too.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Reprieve! Your new avatar reminds me of a sign that was hanging up in Dale's RV! (Dale one of the characters in "The Walking Dead".) It was somewhat less coarse: "How about a nice big cup of shut up!" I like yours too.

Amy

I have much love for that show!