It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

SUBOXONE GOT ME OFF THE OPIOIDS WITH SOME RESISTANCE. I FOUGHT THE BATTLE WITH ALCOHOL
AND EVENTUALLY WON. BUT THE DRUG THAT TOOK ME TEN YEARS TO GET OFF :twisted: ???:
TOBACCO :!: ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:08 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

LifeIzGut wrote:
SUBOXONE GOT ME OFF THE OPIOIDS WITH SOME RESISTANCE. I FOUGHT THE BATTLE WITH ALCOHOL
AND EVENTUALLY WON. BUT THE DRUG THAT TOOK ME TEN YEARS TO GET OFF :twisted: ???:
TOBACCO :!: ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

TO: LifeIzGut...I hear you! The first thing they taught us to do in Nursing School was to inhale a cig.
I did quit for 21 years!...and then we moved back to our home town and I started back....big mistake..I smoke way too much about 2 pks a day and frequently get bronchitis. In fact I have bronchitis now and my doctor told me my chest sounded awful and if I didn't quit smoking I was not going to live very long! I came home deciding Iwould have to quit as I would like to see my grandchildren grow up.... and this morning as soon as the stores opened..4:00 I hauled my ass down and bought a pack! Am I crazy or what? I just feel that everything has been taken away from me..I have a drug problem so no drugs..I have a weight problem so constant diet..I enjoy smoking. I feel like it is the only thing Ihave left and it is killing me. I am going to have to quit that too. I guess I am just addicted to everything, but I really am going to try to quit smoking. I really don't have any choice. So I guess you are not smoking now? ...Good for you...if you could defeat alcohol and smoking that is quite a feat! Hang in.......Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slipper, I hear ya. I've said the same things to my own doctors, "Hey, I gave up drugs, what more do you want? Cigarettes are all I have left!". Yes, I've actually said that to them! I like my cigarettes, too, and am just simply not ready to give them up. Great minds think alike, don't you agree?

Seriously though, we do the best we can and it's all we can do. If you're ready to try to quit one day, great! Do it. If not, then you're not ready yet. At least that's what I tell myself.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Smoking is difficult, but for me it's not as hard as opioids to get off. I'm on day 1 again. I had 2 months off the smokes, and only recently started again. Smoking is just like quitting opioids. As long as someone's determined and keeps trying, they will eventually get there.

Reading all the taper stories and methods has helped me find my most effective way to quit. It's Suboxone inspired. I get a months worth of patches, and start off strong enough that the thought of smoking makes me sick. Then over the month I slowly "taper" by cutting off tiny pieces. Also lots of chewie gum gotta be on hand. And an emergency pack of nicotine gum, just in case (security blanket). Some people need more than a month. Some patch it up for three months. I still think patches beat gum / lozenges because like Suboxone, it's just a constant level throughout the day, and completely out of mind. It's too easy for me to switch between gum / lozenges & cigarettes. They're too similar.

I only need a month on nicotine patches before I live nicotine free. But I'll need years on Suboxone before I can be opioid free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1 week tomorrow :D

Post subject: tearj3rker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:28 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
1 week tomorrow :D

Don't get smart now !! lol..Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

slipper. :lol: It has been challenging though. But it's starting to get easier now. Today I actually had no cravings (thank you patches). One of the good things about quitting cigarettes over other drugs, is physically you feel a big difference after 3 days. Mentally? That's another story.

The reason why I think the smokes are so hard to quit. Is because for most people, it's their last remaining crutch. Addiction to all the other drugs (with the exception maybe of pot) make people bottom-out after a few years. Smoking it's more like a few decades. So the smokes stick around. After we give up our smokes, we're like... completely nudist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You hit it right on the head, tearjerker. What more can be added to what you just said?

My question to you co-long-term-smokers out there is this: Does it scare the shit out of you, the thought of quitting smoking? It does me. Maybe BECAUSE it's my last remaining security blanket. And whenever people in my life try to really PUSH me about quitting, well, that just makes me pull back ever farther. (I know, childish.) That's hard for me to get past.

I also can't seem to reach the point of "being ready". I've never been "ready". I don't want to quit smoking! But I have a husband who is scared to death of losing me. We both watched my father die from lung cancer only 5 years ago. And his previous father in law died of the same. My husband himself quit smoking 3 years ago. I know he wants to beg me to quit, but he knows me and he knows that pushing me is the same as backing me into a corner. He knows what happens when he does that.

It isn't like I don't know the dangers. Obviously I do. (As I pick up a cigarette to light...).

My husband used Chantix to help him quit, so have a couple of other people I know. I've already decided to go that route IF I ever reach that point. But that's as far as I've gotten in my plan to quit.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Smoking
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First off I will say I love to smoke. That first smoke of the day with a hot cup of coffee especially in the sun or out on the water is beyond pleasure. I have smoked since I was 16. I started smoking because my job at a a supermarket I could never get a break. But I noticed every one that smoked including the store manager smoked and they would take breaks all the time. Once I said hey boss can I take a break and have a smoke..........he said you smoke.......you bet......he said sure. I got a mt. dew, snickers bar and Vantage Ultra Lights......never smoked before. Now I absolutely love it.......the only one I hate is the last one I put out before going to bed.

My habit used to be so bad I would set an alarm and get up and smoke in the middle of the night. When I went to treatment it was mandatory that I go to a place that allowed me to smoke. Once I went to IOP and the counselor I had said I know what your going through with alcohol and opiates..........I used to be addicted to nicotine.......I laughed.

I know soon.....that society...our cities, states, employers just about everyone is against us smoking and that soon we will be forced to stop but until then I will continue to enjoy the vice that I know keeps me at least somewhat a little satisfied. I remember saying I can't have alcohol, opiates and soon cigarettes. I know once I am committed to quitting smoking as I was to alcohol and opiates I will be able to do it........I just can't seem to bring myself to do it......just yet.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 pm 
Cigarettes can be very hard to quit.

Heroin is the hardest drug to quit, IMO, followed closely by benzodiazepines, and then by the other pharmies, like bupe. Probably alcohol next. I don't imagine cocaine or meth to be very hard, but then again, I was never too fond of alcohol or uppers, so since you do not become physically addicted (no real physical w/d) I always wondered how it could be THAT hard?

Sure it can be hard to quit smoking cigarettes, but when you hearken back to the good old days of running out of dope and sitting on the toilet with a trash can in your lap sweating your ass off, it seems real easy to chuck a pack of cigs in the trash and be done.