Average Poster

False Positive for Morphine??? HELP!

Search this topic…
Search
Post a reply
FreshStartMama↓
False Positive for Morphine??? HELP!
Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 pm
I am a Canadian suboxone patient. After having a few months of clean pee tests, the doctor started letting me have a 6 day take home subscription. I've had 8 months of clean tests. Today I did my weekly pee test & it came back positive for morphine!!! I 150% did not do morphine. I haven't done one narcotic since starting suboxone. I've had NO desire to, which is great. It means the suboxone is working. I wasn't able to actually see my dr. Today & discuss the false positive because he is on holiday. I just did my urine tests & picked up my prescription for the next week. I will have to discuss it with him next week.

I am terrified he won't believe me that I didn't do morphine. After all, addicts are prone to lying about drug use. However, I did not do morphine. I did some online research & discovered that *occasionally poppy seeds can lead to a false positive for morphine (btw - I didn't take codeine or anything other than the suboxone). Although I rarely eat poppy seeds, I did eat a poppy seed bagel for breakfast yesterday.

My question is does anyone here have any experience with a false positive as a result of poppy seeds? Has this ever happened to anyone on here? I figure if it has happened to me, it must have happened to others? I need some advice about what to do and say to my dr. next week when I see him.

Although he likes me, I am sure he has heard every excuse in the book when it comes to positive tests. I am afraid he won't believe me.

How common is it for poppy seeds to cause a false positive? I am truly freaking out. I am no idiot, if had taken morphine I would know it would show up & there would be no point in denying it. I would just admit it, but I really didn't. I don't know what to do. HELP!!

Post a reply
Jump to: Go
Switch to full style

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Website designed by Nevdo. Board index

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:47 pm 

Hey Fresh,
You d have to be eating a hell of alot of poppy seeds for that to show up ..

Just tell the dr the truth. There are ffalse positive s all the time. Have them ship it off to the lab to
see what is going on..

Razor.

Oh and I deleted the other post in Surgery forum....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Razor

I only ate one bagel. And that is the truth.

I've been reading medical journals all morning, and there have been a number of studies indicating that this happens, believe it or not.

So the idea that you'd have to be eating large amounts of poppy seeds in order for this to happen is not true. What makes you say that? It is an idea I've heard others say, but it is in contradiction to what the research reveals.

I was hoping the urine could/would be sent away for further testing, however my doctor is away till next Thursday. I doubt they will save it. And I will do test next week and I know it will be clean (like every other test I've done for the last 8 months) as I won't be eating anymore poppy seeds.

I'd love to hear what Dr. Junig has to say, as I have to assume he is aware of what the medical research says.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Razor

Thanks for deleting the other message.

Also, you've mentioned false positives happen all the time, what causes them? Particularly for morphine?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:29 pm 

Oh I believe you Fresh, and ive looked at a few Google post on the subject just this afternoon. Ive heard it can happen, and as a couple of them said even eating one with heavy seedings could cause it. What is % of people this happens to? It didnt say.

The thing is they can rule out herion but not other opiates.

Sounds like you have a good dr and thats a plus, but as you said the truth may not convince him . Theere is no way of knowing for sure.

So, just be yourself and when you speak to him hopefully he will believe you if it comes up. The fact your doing so well in treatment should give you an edge.

False positive s pop up in our clinic time to time. And we ve read them here too. The only action they can do is taking it to a Lab.

Thats all I have on this subject. And I did learn something.

Hang in there Fresh! !!!

Razor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Razor.

All I can say is it is the scariest thing in the world when the test says positive and you know you didn't touch anything.

The urine test they use, checks for heroine specifically among other drugs, so they know I didn't do that one. I went on suboxone due to a percocet addiction, I've no experience with heroin.

In any case, I hope he believes me. I don't want to go back to square one. And more importantly, I don't want to fear this ever happening again!

I've learned something too. And in response to your question, one article I read said it is a small percentage of people who this happens to. I think it said 5-10% but it may have been less than 10 (can't remember).

Anyway, thanks for your response.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Had the same thing happen to me...was eating bagels pretty regularly and it set the cheap piss test off.dr wouldn't accept any explanation and that's how I got put on suboxone to start with...this happened at my pain management dr and caused me a shit load of trouble.i know the feeling of being falsely accused and it just always looks bad regardless.i was on methadone at the time for severe pain issues and this whole mess really altered my life completely.i was now labeled an abuser.my options wer to be let go and face methadone detox or be put on suboxone for my pain...I really had no option as I couldn't go cold turkey and lose my business.i considered finding another dr but with that false positive on my record it would've been impossible...I'm now in the process of tapering off the suboxone as it has not helped my pain and has caused a myriad of side effects that I can no longer live with.talk about being screwed...,you have no idea what that has done to me...

The formal report from the lab stated" morphine levels equal to ingestion of food grade poppy seeds found in bagel,muffins and salad dressings".and I went and had a hair follicle test at my expense that proved there were no other opiates in my system at that time or 3 months prior,because hair follicle tests are that accurate and still was vilified by my pain dr.he stated that I could've used a specific shampoo to alter the results...I feel for you...ask the dr if you can have a hair follicle test to show him your being truthful with him,if he's a half decent human being,it may show him your not being deceitful and allow you to clear yourself of any doubt.it all blew up in my face,but maybe your results will be better than mine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry for the double post...,it's late and I don't know WTF happened

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:42 am 

There can't be anything worse in this life than being truthful and not believed. .double for thoses in recovery..

Xtra post deleted Grady. No problem.

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow Grady! That is terrible!

I finally will see doctor on Thursday. He is a lovely man. And I feel the whole approach here in Ontario, Canada is much different than what Americans face. I think things will work out for me, but I get a sickening feeling every time I think about that false positive & just want it resolved.

My clinics website says if you've been clean for a long period of time (I have 8 months, since I began the program, under my belt) than having a one time slip up (which is what this looks like) the only consequence is having 1 carry taken away until you have 2 more clean urine tests. Seems fairly easy to me. I am hoping he will believe me & I won't face that consequences, but who knows.

In Canada, the medical approach is based on harm reduction. This means people on methadone or suboxone who also still use are never kicked off the program. Rather they have to take all their doses in front of a pharmacist & thus are monitored. What they lose is their carries; that's it.

When I hear about Americans being completely kicked off their program for messibg up, it seems ridiculously unfair since it is known that relapse is part of the cycle of addiction for many people.

I have found the suboxone treatment to be 100℅ effective however.bi have literally had NO cravings for narcotics since starting it. I can't speak for people on methadone as I have no idea what that road is like.

Grady - the shampoo can affect the hair follicle test?? What the.....? That is ridiculous. You must have been SO frustrated. I am sorry for the stress you've experienced.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear OP,

First off, I FEEL for you and I am sorry you are going through this. Last time I had a random at work I had just had a poppy seed bagel a day or two before and was worried a little. The reason why I was worried is because it is not always about HOW MUCH you consume. Sometimes it is the quality of the poppy seeds. Depending on (A) what part of the world they come from and (B) how well they were washed, certain poppy seeds are very potent compared to others. Thus, one could theoretically eat 1 bagel and go over the threshold and test positive while one who ate 2 or 3 could pass the drug test. One consolation is that there normally is a cut off of 2000 ng for the opiates on a drug test. This is not always true and it may differ in Canada, but one of the reasons for it is because of poppy seeds and other foods and medicines. I wonder if Immodium (loperamide) makes people test positive for opioids. Either way, I don't know if a hair follicle will help. Poppy seeds metabolize morphine metabolites because THEY CONTAIN MORPHINE! Thus, I do not suspect that a hair follicle test will be able to decipher the difference between poppy seeds and morphine. I hope I am wrong. However, I believe opioids take 5 days or so to show up in a hair follicle, so if you get one done within that time then you will test negative probably.

If all else fails then try to take a polygraph! But I think you will be fine because the policy sounds rather lenient and you will probably just have less "freedom" in the program for a little will until you pass some drug tests in the future. But please: Do NOT eat poppy seeds ANYMORE!!!