It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Been taking suboxone for a little over three weeks now. My doctor does a UA everytime I visit and I have tested positive for benzos every time. Benzos are not and never were my thing. However, the week before my first sub doc visit I took some neurontin and two of another pill I can't remember the name of but I think they were like valium. Someone gave me these pills to help with withdraw as I was trying to quit cold turkey. After August 18 I took only narcos and methadone until September 3. I did not use September 3 or 4 as I had to have 48 hours "clean" and be in withdraw at my first doctor visit. I have not taken ANYTHING illicit since I started taking suboxone which was on September 5. I swore to my doctor that I hadn't taken any benzos but she seemed to think I was lying and made a remark as to the lines being pretty dark and said "someone has been using the benzos". This was on my last visit two days ago and I have been googling like crazy trying to figure out why I am testing positive. I take 40 mg. of Prozac a day and also 10 mg. of loratadine (claritin) and she is aware of both those prescriptions. I also take tylenol and melatonin on occasion. I've stopped taking the claritin as of my last visit because I think this could be the only thing causing it. But, when I go online all I can find is that claritin can cause false positives for methamphetamines??? I have not felt the need to take any melatonin. Help!

This really concerns me. For one, I think my doctor may drop me if I test positive for benzos again and two, I need to have a negative across the board for my job. Testing is in the future at my workplace and one of the reasons I decided to get clean. I have been sick with worry and am pissed that I can't enjoy 21 days clean! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello Barking Dog and welcome to the forum!!!! Boy, I started having flashbacks just reading your post! LOL! I went through the same thing when I first went on sub. I think that my drug screens were positive for benzos for
around 4 or 5 weeks. Once they were negative, they've stayed negative since.

The reason you are testing positive for benzos, is because you have benzos in your system. Valium is a benzo. In
fact, it is exact same benzo that I was on when I tested positive for them for 5 weeks! I had taken it for anxiety (prescribed)
for 2 or 3 weeks straight, 3x a day. The last dose I took was a couple days before my first sub
doc appt. I was ALL over the internet just like you, and found out that valium is one of the benzos that
hangs around the longest in your system. Up to 6 weeks.

Here is the link to my thread~http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6806

I posted other links and references in that thread so, when you have time, you can see what I am talking about.
I know exactly how you feel. I was desperate to prove to my doc that I was NOT taking ANYTHING!!!
Then when I started doing all this googling~that's what I found.

Now, you need to tell your doctor. I would just go in and tell her/him exactly what happened. That before you came in
for induction, you were in withdrawals, and someone gave you a fistfull of Valium to take, to help you get
through the withdrawals. (They understand that we are addicts) Tell her that you had NO IDEA that valium
was a benzodiazapene, or you would have told her this at your first appointment. Print out this thead if ya need to.
LOL! So, now that you understand WHY you are testing positive, you just need to wait it out.

Once you have a negative drug screen, you'll be expected to maintain that. The fact that you didn't know that
Valium was a benzo is a little scary to me. Please be careful in the future of what you are taking from people. Benzos are
tricky and serious little pills. I blacked out from them once..the end result was not good. I'm not lecturing you, but
I would hate to see you take something like this again from someone you trust, and then get kicked out of your sub
program for a positive drug screen~does that make sense? The best thing to do is NOT take anything that is not
prescribed to you by your doctor. Protect your recovery at all costs!

Congratulations on beginning your journey down the road to recovery! I am so glad that you chose to do that with
us! Good Luck at your doctors appointment, and let me know if you have any more questions. I hope that this
answer helped you out a little bit.

Again~Welcome to the forum!!![/font]

Post subject: msad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

nice

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also had a couple false positives when I first started sub. The first time was for opiates even though I had been off methadone for over a month. I didn't have a long enough history with my new sub doctor at that time so he assumed I was messing around and refused to refill my sub script. I broke down crying.. I couldn't believe that I had done all this work, come so far.. only to be told that I was still using! I had to search in the phone book.. hysterically crying while trying to find a doc that would see me on such short notice. I was able to make an appointment for the next morning (at $500 a pop no less) with a new doc.. I admitted what had happened and he gave me a test which turned out negative for everything.

I then went back the original doctor the following month (because I couldn't afford to pay $500 a visit plus prescription costs) and explained what had happened. I'm not sure if he ever believed me but he took me back as a patient. I tested negative for years but after that episode, I had anxiety surrounding the testing process. Not ever fully trusting it's accuracy or knowing if I'll be kicked out of the program without warning. My blood pressure would spike during visits.. Anyway, I finally built trust with the doc and then tested positive for benzos a couple times. Luckily he knew me but I can honestly say I hadn't touched benzos in half a decade! I lost all faith in the testing process.