It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey guys!

It's been awhile since I last posted. My internet has been down for a month, maybe even a little longer. I have been doing pretty good. I have not taken anything except my subs (and ambien) since March 21st...I haven't even had a drink since then!!!!

But last month at my appointment my doc said that the previous months drug screen had showed positive for tramadol....That is crazy because I haven't had any since April of Last Year. The only thing I could think of is that I have been taking ambien to sleep at night. It didn't show up but he also doesn't know I have been taking it. Could that show a false positive for tramadol? I told him I hadn't taken any...I don't think he believed me though. He said we wouldn't worry about it this time, but I'm worried if it shows up again that it may cause trouble. I'm bumfuzzled about what caused the false positive. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi horsegal...it's good to "see" you again. Ambien shouldn't have anything to do with you showing up positive for Tramadol/Ultram on your UA. In fact, Ambien is a type of benzo, so it actually would show up in that category rather than as a pain medication. Could you or the doctor be mistaken and perhaps it was positive for benzos and not for Tramadol?

I honestly don't know too much about Tramadol, as it's not a typical opiate like "regular" full opiate agonists (I don't even know if it shows up as an opiate or as something else altogether on a UA).

Sorry I can't be of more help. :( I hope you can get this squared away soon without any more problems.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Hat...

I wondered the same thing about the doctor being wrong. But he showed me the sheet which clearly said tramadol on it and then had the level listed after. I don't remember the number and it didn't even make sense to me at the time because I don't know enough about how to read those things. But I am concerned about it. I guess it would be a good idea to lay off the ambien for a month and see if that makes a difference. I guess I will find out next week when I go back if it showed up again.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You could always ask him to send the sample out for further testing, which will reveal if it is indeed a false positive. But then he'd probably charge you for that. Well, it's an option.

There are others here who understand the mechanisms of Tramadol a lot better than I do, so with any luck they will see this and weigh in with some of their knowledge.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am bumping this post to see if anyone else has any ideas. My next appointment is on Thursday and I would love to know if anyone thinks the ambien could have possibly caused the result. I have searched everything I could find on the internet and haven't found ANYTHING stating the possibility of ambien causing false positives for tramadol.

I'm just worried something will show up again and I won't have any way to prove my innocence...this is where my past transgressions really bite me in the ass. The doctor is surely not going to believe me, I'm just a lying addict. Anyway...wouldn't the ambien have showed up if it was going to? I always make sure to have at least 3 or 4 days without it before I go for my appointment. Again I want to state that I do have a prescription for this, but my suboxone doctor said when I started with him that I shouldn't keep taking it. He also stated that I was not to take any prescriptions, no matter what they were, without prior authorization from him. I know I am playing with fire...I need to just quit taking them. But I HATE laying awake at night not being able to sleep. Any other insomniacs out there?????