It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I went to the Dr. today & my screen was positve for opiates and havent used. Please help me as to why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Im not exactly sure why you would have a false postive screen but False-positive results are possible, but highly unlikely. A false-positive result occurs when another substance in the body has a structure similar to that of one of the drugs being assayed in the screen. And A few over-the-counter (OTC) medications that may sometimes lead to erroneous results include:* Dextromethorphan* Naproxen* Pseudoephedrine * Vicks inhaler * Weight loss supplements , Im not sure of what you may have taken but think about it.

For these reasons, if you are scheduled for a drug test, you should report to the testing agent doing the drug screen all medications you have used recently. This includes herbal and OTC products as well as prescription medications. When in doubt, list it. If you do not list a medication or medical condition at the time of collection, it may be difficult or impossible to add this information at a later date, trying to explain your results.

You can challenge a positive result you feel is false, especially if there are dire consequences such as job loss or jail associated with the finding. Get a more specific test, such as gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC-MS), on the same sample. This test will either rule out the false-positive or confirm the original result. Only the true substance can show a positive on a confirmation test.

You should also consult with the pathologist or other senior clinician at the lab where your screen was actually done. They have the most up-to-date information and should be able to tell you which medications can give false positive results on their tests.
I am sorry that you are going through this, Im sure something important is on the line. Take Care