It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Fake Suboxone News
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just wrote sentence and erased it-- the sentence was 'I was just plugging my site'. I have to think about that phrase...

But I was writing about a section of my blog that carries news feeds about buprenorphine. In today's feed is an article from 'HuffPo' called 'fake news comes to addiction treatment' by a guy named Michael Shaw. The link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fake-news-comes-to-addiction-treatment_us_58aaf982e4b0fa149f9ac8d2

So annoying when people get a chance to spread knowledge and send out misleading info. Feel free to send him a tweet-- you can do it from his profile: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/michael-d-shaw

Let him know to come here and LEARN. Some of his mistakes:
- The problem with opioid dependence isn't 'too many opioid receptors'. The problem is that the receptors cause a decreased response in neurons after bound by opioids, and decreased sensitivity of mu receptors to opioids (including endogenous opioids, endorphins).
- You don't 'take a class' in order to prescribe methadone for addiction. Methadone is DISPENSED in highly-regulated programs. No doctor can 'prescribe' methadone for addiction; that would violate the Harrison Act (and other laws).
- The article that Shaw calls 'fake' had it right. What Shaw misses is that Suboxone is a brand name. Doctors speaking medically use GENERIC names. If a doc talks about treatment with buprenorphine, he says 'buprenorphine treatment'. He doesn't say 'Suboxone treatment' unless he is writing a blog, and trying to increase SEO! Shaw apparently thought that the writer of the 'fake' story didn't know, or didn't want to write, about Suboxone. In reality Shaw is the idiot in the equation; the article called 'fake' by Shaw assumed that people are smart enough to know that it was referring to ALL buprenorphine drugs indicated for addiction treatment.
- BTW, Shaw wrote about Suboxone. Does he know about Zubsolv, Bunavail, and generic combination products?
- He makes the common mistake of writing that naloxone is necessary to prevent the 'high' from buprenorphine.
- He writes that people on buprenorphine, taken properly, get a reduced 'high'.
- He suggests that buprenorphine is only used for induction, when in reality it is used very commonly for maintenance patient (except in Kentucky, where politicians don't seem to understand how the medications work).
I could go on, but I have to get back to patients....

Post subject: Re: Fake Suboxone News
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 08b812072b

I had read the original article that this Douchnozzle references when it came out. It is by a resident that would like to use Buprenorphine in his practice but is unable due to his supervisors refusal to get certified and provide the clinical supervision needed for a resident. I thought it was well written and thoughtful, unlike Shaw's hit piece.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The comments after the Washpost article were brutal with a few exceptions. I wonder if RichyRich or OzPolitics are posters here, their comments were quite accurate and helpful in addressing some of the ignorance being expressed.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doc2 I bet if they aren't posters here that they got their info from here. I know I tell everyone at my Suboxone clinic about this forum. I have another new Dr and she is going to check it out.