It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking Suboxone for about 7 months, prescribed from a clinic which requires weekly urine tests and they claim they have the most sophisticated urine screens available. I take 3, 8mg strips daily and I do so like clockwork. Never, have I even missed a single dose. About a month ago, a test result came up saying there was no Suboxone (or Buprenorphine I assume is what they test for) in my system at all!!! This would normally be grounds for discharge but they allowed me to remain in treatment after I pleaded and cried a bit. I hear people often say "man, I didn't take this or that" but I assure you that I am being honest, obviously. Anyway, now every time I go in for a test I am extremely nervous and the pressure is ridiculous and really tortures me all week. They let me stay but have told me if it happens again I am out....which so far it hasn't. Has anyone experienced any similar situations or have any advice. I was going to file a lawsuit if I had been discharged. My doctor said others have sworn they have been taking as prescribed and failed as well. I can not afford to be discharged especially while in full compliance! Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Goat, offer to bring your dose in for observation. If you aren't taking it then 24 mg would kick your ass. If they really believed you were diverting they would have to be standing by with the respiratory equipment.
I think UA's are useful as a tool, to encourage dialogue and compliance, not as a 'gotcha.'
I have had two people come back with negative ua's. Both swore they were taking the Suboxone as prescribed. I had them return the next day for an observed dose. One came back did fine and remains engaged in treatment. The other never came back. (sigh)
Weekly UA's sounds excessive, I don't believe most of the posters here get tested nearly this frequently. Consider giving your provider Dr. Junic's blog.
PAX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Goat,

I am sorry for what happened, I from experience have dealt first hand with this. About 3 years ago I was in a program through my md and after the first month of coming in every 2wks it was down to every month to the day I would come in for my urine screen and script. After about a year I went in one day and as normal and the PA came in (whom I was very close with, much more than the Dr.) and said that the urine test came back clean for everything, I was confused, upset, and just clueless. I had NO idea what happened. I took approx. 4 mg every morning, religiously like you. I had severe stomach issues that were a huge problem if i didn't take my subs, along with just not feeling normal nor having energy to get through the day. So it was completely not an option for me to not be taking it. I had weighed about 130 5'8 and did some sort of exercise everyday along with drinking a ton of water, to try and keep hydrated to help with the awful constipation that bupe gives most people, and i worked 12 hr shifts at the hospital which had the most dry air and would get to you if you didnt stay hydrated. Anyway sorry for rambling, I was a complete mess when she told me they were making her kick me out bc "obviously i was either selling them, giving them to my boyfriend, or something" ...she knew this wasn't true but she didnt have the power to do anything bc in that case the insurance company ties their hands and they have to abide. She gave me a number to another doctor and said she would put in a call for me. I wound up just attempting to ween myself bc i had some extras since i took half, still went through 2 weeks of bad wd's and however much longer to feel normal, i stayed completely clean for about 7 months then wound up using agian...ive been clean now again for almost 10 months and my doc now is a psychiatrist who is awesome laid back and really looks at the drug a different way, ALSO she doesnt except insurance which is a little expensive BUT she doesn't have the insurance company running her practice and she can make decisions and judgements her self. and another thing to throw in that the urine screens arent 100% and fool proof, back when i was on it last time there was multiple times i should have peed with THC and it didnt. So im sorry for the massive reply, but i know how scary and honestly unfair it is, you ARE NOT the only one and i always took them i wasnt stopping through the month and using then taking it the day before i never used while on subs, so i dont know what it is but it happens and its not just you, just keep doing what your doing try and think that it was a freak one time thing and stay on your meds and hopefully that never happens agian :/ i wish it could be more concrete but unfortunately those things cant always be 100%.

Best of luck & stay positive- Much love *G*

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys so much for replying. I also have extreme anxiety, manic depression, rapid cycle bi-polar..etc...so you can imagine the extra weight this issue has brought on. I will keep taking the subs exactly as prescribed and just hope all goes well! If my counsler hadn't advocated so intensely on my behalf I would have absolutely been expelled. I am supposed to be doing bi-weekly urine screens but because of this mistake of theirs they are postponing it and keeping me at weekly tests. I gave up absolutely every drug I was on for seven months now and obeyed every single rule thrown at me and now I'm being punished and treated near criminal like! It totally has me going nuts. After that issue I began taking all 3 strips in the morning prior to my weekly test just to insure a positive result whereas the rest of the week I space them out throughout the day. Again, I truly appreciate every word of what you two offered and took the time to respond to me and indeed I will reccomend the blog suggested to my provider. Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I had been real bad sick and was on cough medicine that I bought from the dollar store in town. Well, I went in for my next appointment and I thought that I should take the bottle in just in the situation that something came up, but I decided against it. I was a bit better so I had been off the cough medicine for a couple of days but the night before, I went to hacking again so I took a dose of it. I am always nervous about the urine test because their cups are triangle shaped and for some reason I CAN NOT hit the damn thing. I always wind up with just barely enough urine in the cup or it all over my hand. Thank goodness they have Purel all over the office. Well, I was waiting for my results with the nurse chick. She is a awesome girl and we always chit chat for a few minutes before I go back and wait for the doctor to call me back. She said, this is odd and my heart dropped to my feet. She said that it was showing up that I had meth amphetamines in my system. I have taken in my lifetime, pain pills and I have smoked weed five times in my life. I have NEVER been drunk, not even a small buzz from alcohol and that is it. Nothing other than pain pills have been in my system when it comes to things like that well the THC. You could look at me though and tell that there was nothing like that in me because after I found out what meth amphetamines were, I knew what it was.
Yep, I had to have it explained to me. Apparently cough syrup will show up as meth amphetamines just like poppy seed buns will show as false positive for opiates. There are lists of things that show up as something else which is what I found out once I got home. My doctor saw the results and said, oh this is a crock of BS. He said I am supposed to make you stay and take another urine test but since we live so far away from the doctors office, he never does and he also said if I thought you was ACTUALLY taking meth that would be another ballgame altogether.
I told him once I got home I would look it up and see if it shows up as something different and call back. I did and was relieved when I seen it. I always get worried about the THC line more than anything, because my husband smokes it. She said if the lines are faded that there might be a hint of a trace but its nothing that they worry about, its when the line goes away is when they are worried. I have never had a test where it didn't show up, sorry that this didn't really apply but I thought id throw my experience in for just reading material.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's good info to have Pibullmomma, thanks for sharing!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's horrible and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Thankfully it was cleared up without much of a dilemma. Thanks so much for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, I knew that my story wasnt spot on with what you went through but having a tid bit of other info always helps in some circumstances of sorts. If I can help in anyway, just holler at me. I can be a chatty one however lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking suboxone for a long time and I've taken 2 or 3 drug screens that suboxone did not show up. At the time I was taking two 8/2mg tablets daily and had been on that does for a few years when I had to take a test for a new job. I told my doctor that writes the script for it that I was nervous it would show up and they wouldn't give me the chance to explain and show them my prescriptions. My doctor said that there's a 50% chance it won't show up and it didn't.