It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all, My name is Jon and I'm new to the forum..
I had my sub appt. today and they informed me that I had failed my last drug test for OXYMORPHONE, I have never heard of this drug, so I was immediately confused not only because I never heard of this drug but also because I have not taking a single pill since I have been put on the Suboxone program 6 months ago.....
SO I immediately went to GOOGLE for answers, what I found was....

"Oxymorphone (Opana, Numorphan, Numorphone) or 14-Hydroxydihydromorphinone is a powerful semi-synthetic opioid analgesic (painkiller) first developed in Germany in 1914,[2] patented in the USA by Endo Pharmaceuticals in 1955[3] and introduced to the United States market in January 1959 and other countries around the same time.[1]

The brand name Numorphan is derived by analogy to the Nucodan name for an oxycodone product (or vice versa) as well as Paramorphan/Paramorfan for dihydromorphine and Paracodin (dihydrocodeine). The only commercially available salt of oxymorphone in most of the world at this time is the hydrochloride, which has a free base conversion ratio of 0.891, and oxymorphone hydrochloride monohydrate has a factor of 0.85.[4] It is a Schedule II controlled substance in the United States with an ACSCN of 9652. The 2013 DEA annual manufacturing quotas were 18 375 kilos for conversion (a number of drugs can be made from oxymorphone, both painkillers and opioid antagonists like naloxone) and 6875 kilos for direct manufacture of end-products.[5]"
----Wikipedia.....

After reading a little bit about this drug, I obviously noticed the sentence I put in red text...
My question would be, could it be possible that the Naloxone in the Suboxone actually triggered a red flag in the urine test?

Thanks for your input/comments....

-Jon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jon,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure interested in finding out if anyone else does! I'm guessing the doctor didn't believe you when you told him you hadn't taken anything, right? It's hard to prove otherwise unless they send the sample to a lab to be re-assessed. But I can testify that these tests aren't always accurate.

I tested positive for tramadol when I was about 3 months into treatment. Believe me when I say I am 100% positive I hadn't had any exposure to this drug. I even posted about it here when it happened. Thankfully this wasn't something on the list of fireable offenses from my doctor, he never did believe that I hadn't taken any.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get any responses on this right away. I'm guessing most people here won't know for sure what the answer is. But, we do have several members who are very knowledgeable about this type of thing, including several doctors, that might see this and have some answers for you.

Are you at risk of being dismissed from your doctor over this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am not, but now instead of once a month seeing her, I gotta go twice a month. Which in turn means 2x copay, 2x prescription copay, and 2x drug test costs.. really is frustrating since I know I never took that drug

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jon

Oh yeah, I have first hand knowledge of this because it happened to my son. If you didn't take anything then for sure it was the naloxone. My son is going through a custody battle so having oxymorph show up was a very bad thing and the court didn't believe him. He had to get independent lab tests done- both urine & blood work actually, to prove it was the naloxone.

He was told there are two ways the levels go up-one is your body absorbs your dose extremely well, like you don't talk, drink or smoke for 60 minutes or Two you are taking more than 24 mg sub daily. His was the second.

What you can do is have labs done the SAME day as your appt so the doctor knows you are serious about recovery. Blood work is more detailed than urine.

I am sorry this happened to you. It stinks when we are doing the right thing and people don't believe us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess I was a few months into my buprenorphine treatment when this very same thing happened to me. ... twice! The 1st time, not much was said to me about it because they just sent it to an outside lab to confirm I was telling the truth about not using, but it really upset me. Of course, it came back as a false positive. The nurse there told me that happens sometimes.
The second time, I was with my former sub doctor, who actually made me cry, and outright said she didn't believe me. It really sucks to be accused when you're trying really hard and doing the right things. After a lab confirmed it was indeed a false positive, she didn't even apologize. She acted pissed she was proven wrong.
Glad I found my current doctor, he's great , and I've never had a positive UA in the year I've been seeing him. Go figure!
I asked him what would cause false positive results like that because it just so happens that the day my old dr made me cry, several other people had false positives as well, and I thought it was weird. He told me that the metabolite of bupe, norbuprenorphine, is SOMETIMES picked up by cheap urine dip tests as other opiates like oxycodone, or hydromorphone etc. However, in most cases, a positive UA that's questioned, goes to the lab for more advanced testing to confirm whether or not it's really positive. Idk the answer really, but that's the simplistic explaination that was given to me.