It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Failed...again
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on suboxen for about 3 years now. I have tried to quit 3 times now and havent made it yet. The 1st time I was at 12 mg, the 2nd at 8mg, and now the latest attempt at about 1.5mg. I guess the only positive is that I am contniuing to taper and from what I read here, I need to keep going. It is very depressing when I give in and I think I may have to do an inpatient treatment if I am ever going to kick the subs....I just don't have the willpower alone. My girlfriend is very upset with me and that makes me feel even more depressed. Its like she takes it personally that I can't quit and I wish she understood it has nothing to do with her.....what a lonely feeling. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice, and also if anyone has any thoughts on the rapid anestesia assisted detox (sounds too good to be true). I am glad I found this site and hope it can help even more then it already has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ksnizzo - welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with tapering and that you are feeling depressed. It's hard when the people close to us can't understand what we are going through and what a struggle addiction and recovery can be.

I would like to help or advise you if I can, but at this point I don't feel like I know enough about your situation to give you meaningful feedback. Tapering off of Suboxone is a huge step, and for me, it was something that I didn't even want to try until I knew I was ready. By "ready" I mean that I was in a good, strong place in my recovery, I had adequate support, I'd worked through a lot of the issues that contributed to my addiction, and my physical and mental health were good. I also had plans in place for how I was going to continue my recovery post-Suboxone. I knew I couldn't taper off just because I wanted to be done with it or I was tired of it - I needed to do it in a way that would be moving my recovery forward, not setting it back.

If you feel comfortable, could you tell us a little more about what's going on with you? What's motivating your desire to taper off of Suboxone? What are some of the other ways you've worked on your recovery process? Do you have plans for how to stay opiate-free after Subs? Has being on Suboxone helped you in any way?

There are several people here who have successfully completed tapering and several others who are currently in the process - and there are quite a few members who are not planning to taper any time soon, if ever. All of them will probably be able to offer you some support, but it's hard to know what to offer with so few details about your situation. There are also a bunch of different taper threads on the forum that are full of good information about the process.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Sure...I was addicted to pills then H, and finally broke down and wanted a change about 4 years ago. I started on methadon treatment as it was the only answer I found...that made me sleep about 16 hours a day. I was told that suboxone was a miracle and easy to come off so I switched. I went into precipatated w/d as the methadone wasnt out of my system after the two days, but that is a diff. story (my clinic doesnt seem very knowledgable an it was the worst exp. ever). Anyway, suboxone has been great, I have gotton my life back and am ready to be free of everything. The problem is that I am very weak willed and cant stand w/ds. I am on about 1.5 mgs now and after finding this board feel more optimistic. I am going to try the liquid taper and take the next 6 months to a year to get as low as possible. I am a high school eng teacher so I do have the summers to get off. I am also going to look into other options like inpatient and rapid detox. At this point I am so close to being back to where I was before the drugs I can taste it. My family and my gf also really want to see me off the subs.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ksnizzo and welcome to the forum,

Diary gave you a great response with regard to having a good overall recovery plan in place to stay "clean". Getting "clean" (I hate that word) is the easy part, as most would agree - it's the staying off that's tough. I think if you give yourself plenty of time like you mentioned you should be fine. The longer and slower the taper the fewer w/d symptoms you should feel.

As for rapid detox, it's my understanding there simply isn't any or enough science to definitively say it even works. And it costs into the tens of thousands of dollars. Even if it gets you through any acute withdrawals, you'll still have to contend with PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) - you'll have that either way, so in all honestly what would you gain with rapid detox?

Have you gone to therapy or meetings throughout the time you've been in remission? It's always best to learn new coping skills (learn to live life on life's terms, as they say) so we can deal with cravings and triggers on our own without wanting to reach for a pill. I'll refer back again to what Diary said.

Again, welcome. Good luck with your taper and keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What's the issue with doing an in-patient detox?

I've known a few people who've been on suboxone long term and when they finally ceased dosing after a long taper they went into detox. They're still 100% clean today years later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was referring to rapid-detox, not in-patient detox, if that's what you're asking.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.