It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:17 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys just joined this forum 10 mins ago and I need some helpful advice! I'm in an out-patient suboxone program and I've been going through a lot of crap recently because of my addiction and long story short I ended up giving in and getting high so I relapsed and I have a sub appointment tomorrow and I know theres no possible way I'm going to pass this one and my question is should I even go if I know I'm going to fail the swab or should I man up and just do it? I'm not sure if they're going to give me more medication since I took a couple xanax from my old prescription and ended up smoking some funky stuff that deffinetly had some cocaine in it as I found out when the results of the test came back so now I'm freaking out and idk what to do because I believe if my results have come back from my last one there would be some opiate showing up because I took 2 hydrocodones from a friend which later admited to me that they were not Tylenol and I didn't tell him I was even in the program so do you guys think they will give me one last prescription? Because if not I don't believe its worth going there knowing I'm going to fail and I'm also moving to AZ on Monday and going to a nice rehab over there please help me with this guys I don't want to make a bad decision on top of another bad decision!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:52 pm 

Nicki,

Do you want recovery from opiate addiction? If so, man up and be honest with your doctor. They are there to help you recover, hopefully. Some may be idiots who would kick you out and then wonder if you're going to die or not.

Always tell the truth. That way you don't ever have to think about the answers. Take the consequences of your actions, whatever they are.

Welcome to the forum and I do hope you'll stay and find recovery from the miserable life of addiction.

BTW, this is only my 2ยข worth as a member, not a moderator. We mods are only members who keep the peace here so take our advice the same as any others.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Rule. Sub is just a tool in recovery. You have to want to leave the chaos of addiction behind and find real life support to help you make better choices.

Have you come up dirty before? Have you been warned to stay in the recovery mode?

Regardless, be honest with your doctor. Not only is it the right thing to do but I always feel better when i am honest with both others and myself. That shows me i am changing and working on my opiate recovery.

Hopefully you come back and let us know what happens But if you don't I hope the rehab you are going to helps you grow and change :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm a little confused about your plans--- whether you are staying in your current program or if you are planning to go to a rehab program? Maybe I'm missing something...

But as the others have commented, I hope that more and more docs are seeing opioid dependence as a disease that requires ongoing treatment efforts, NOT a contest where people are kicked out when they have problems. That said, since we can all have a max of 100 spots, I don't like wasting a spot on someone who has no interest in trying his/her hardest, when there are other people out there who are pleading for a chance to get their lives back.

I don't discharge patients for relapse, especially if the person is honest with me about it. But if one of my patients used heroin AND cocaine AND pot AND hydrocodone, for example, I would wonder if the person is really interested in a sober lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:35 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with what Dr. Junig says and I have to disagree to. My reason is that some Dr's want to "travel path of least resistance" with patients. As Dr. Junic stated, Dr.'s only get 100 patients per year. Some are in it' entirely for the money and not for really helping their patients as well as they should. If patients are bothersome, they just kick them out and replace that patient with one that is not so bothersome. You know, keeps all their visits, clean drug screens, etc. They want to avoid the "paper work". Your situation depends on what kind of Dr. you have. I know it sucks, but that's reality nowadays. You have a hard decision to make I know, but honesty is always the best policy. At least you can sleep with a clear conscience. Can he? Probably yes.
When a Suboxe Dr' only has to take an 8 hr. course, is that an online course, or is it a week of night school classes? Drug addiction is "unique and complex". It is a life and death situation. To me, it doesn't sound like enough time to understand this drug and what it's for. To me, it's like having a lesser type of cancer. Also, more and longer periods of study would weed out the "just not as interested" type of physicians.
Please Dr. Junic,
Can you elaborate a little farther about the 100 patient rule. Does that apply for 1 office location? Or is it a 100 patients per every location of an office the Dr. has. For instance, my Dr. comes to the office once a week, but he has multiple locations in the area. Do most Sub Dr's have different types of practices too?
I'm not bashing here, You seem to be one of the good Suboxone physicians. I am just trying to understand all this a little better.
P.S.
Why isn't there a Sub Dr. in every county hospital, in every small town, and every city in the country? Is there just not enough money in it for the Dr.s only being aloud 100 patients. Honestly,for me, that just seems way to few patients for the physician. They should be aloud more patients say after 5 yrs., 10,years. The more years, the more patients.
Ok, I am done ranting now. lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy, the 100 patient cap is per physician and per his DEA license. Every doctor in America must obtain a DEA license to prescribe any controlled substance. There are no restrictions on how many patients the doc writes a script for under their DEA - other than Bup. For Bup they are restricted to 30 patients for the first year and then can have that increased to 100 after one year. Where the script is written has nothing to do with it. If doc "jones" with DEA Xxxxxxxx writes for sub for addiction he can only have 100 patients at any given time.

I'm nearly positive that cap will be lifted someday. The question is when? The new, latest HHS secretary, Sylvia Mathews Burwell, a young, energetic, dare I say cute, bueorcrat just went on record in support of MMT - both methadone and sub. She also says we need to reduce opiate deaths.

http://www.hhs.gov/blog/2015/03/26/its- ... eaths.html

This is less than two weeks ago. Hopefully she doesn't run out of stream or get corrupted by the Washington DC culture. The tide is turning but very slowly. Thankfully, in a very odd way, this problem is not getting better, actually getting worse which will force a change. Plus it's getting clearer and more proven that sub works and works well. This cap will change. It's just sad that it likly will take years and thousands of more deaths before it does.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:03 am 

Thank you, donh, for the link to the hhs article! Sounds promising!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Nick,

So, any updates? How did your appointment go? Are you really interested in stopping all use, or do you use Suboxone to prevent withdrawals in between periods of use? Have you ever had precipitated withdrawal from having opioids in your system when you took Suboxone?

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nick

Did you go to the appointment? If not, how are you doing? It would be great to hear from you again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know it's just the nature of the beast but how frustrating when many take the time to respond and try to help, even Dr. J responds, but the OP is never heard from again. One and done. I many times won't even respond to initial posts like this until someone establishes at least a couple return posts. Otherwise it seems somewhat common someone will sign up, make a single post and are never heard from again. Not sure there is much that can be done but it's still disappointing the amount of time spent and I'm willing to bet our responses were never even read.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 pm 

I totally understand, don. Responding to those in need here is not easy! It takes time and effort to figure out and write out how to help someone. It can take a lot out of you!

I do want you to know that I very much appreciate your help on this forum. You make my job as mod easier because I can depend on you and some others on this forum to give sound advice and call attention to inaccurate information.

Thank you donh and those others of you who check in often to offer support to those in need, even when you don't receive much in return.

Amy

P.S. Thank you very much for chiming in right away to support what I said to the poster who was equating being on sub with active addiction. I have a feeling that the poster is someone who was banned before by me and wanted to get back at me. After all, we were all basically saying the same thing, but apparently only I got under his skin. Anyway, it was nice to feel supported by you and Morphing, so thank you.