It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on subs for exactly one year today. I lost my insurance a month ago and was able to obtain my final prescription for 30 8mg/strips. I started the month on a 4mg dose and have tapered over that time to 2mg. I start my taper down to 1mg tomorrow and I have 3 full strips remaining. I simply cannot afford the financial burden of paying for doctor visits and $269 per 30 strip perscription. With that said, I am facing the reality of kicking the drug. It has been a lifesaver and I am in no way disparaging the use of Suboxone. However, the time has come for me and quite frankly, I am afraid. I am at an excellent place in my recovery which included a year long obsession with snorting both heroin and cocaine. I have gone cold turkey coming off of the heroin, which at its peak, I snorted continuously for three months. The withdrawal from heroin was beyond scary and painful. If that was any indication of what I have in store for me, I am indeed scared. I have never contemplated getting off the drug in a hasty fashion, but I have to accept life on life's terms. Does anyone have any guidance for me with respect to what I can expect jumping off from a 1mg dose? Over my course of treatment I spent 1 month at 32 mg 3 months at 16 6 months at 8 1 month at 4 and have tapered to my current dose of 2mg and I'll begin 8 days at 1 mg tomorrow. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I count finding this forum among the small miracles God has bestowed upon me today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi TwelveSteps and welcome to the forum! We're glad you found us and I hope we can be some help to you. I'm confident you'll find the people here very supportive and the information here quite helpful.

It's unfortunate that you're stuck in this position of jumping off sub without being able to taper properly. 1 mg is still a fairly high dose to jump from, I hate to tell you. Chances are you are in for some acute withdrawals (and possibly PAWS, but I'd suggest you not even go there yet).

First, I'd suggest you ask your doctor for some comfort meds, such as Clonidine. It's a BP med, but pretty much the norm in treating opiate withdrawals. It won't erase your symptoms, but it will help you to feel better. You might need something for sleep as well.

I'd also suggest you keep yourself as busy as possible. The more you lay around and think about how lousy you feel, the worse you'll feel. Also, exercise is a great way to feel better. It gets your natural endorphins going and that's exactly what your brain/body needs.

I know others will come along with more advice and words of wisdom. Good luck to you. And again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello twelvestep and welcome to the forum!!! I cannot offer advice on tapering, but I couldn't just read your post and not
respond to you. You truly do sound terrified of what is in store for you. I am not so sure that I would feel any differently
myself. Withdrawal terrifies me. But if there is one thing that I have learned from being on forums on the internet, it's that
no 2 experiences are the same when it comes to tapering and jumping. Some people have an easy time, and others do not.
I truly hope that your experience will be one of the easier ones.

There is an entire section on this forum devoted to stopping suboxone. There is also a thread at the top of that section called
"liquid taper". Even if you cannot taper that low, there is still a TON information in that thread, from a lot of experienced
members. Not to mention all of the other threads in that section.

I noticed that you said that finding this forum was one of Gods small miracles for today. I believe that you are right. I bascially
just wanted to stop by and offer my support, and let you know that you will be in my thoughts and my prayers. There are a lot
of educated, compassionate, and supportive members on this forum, who have been in your shoes. I am confident that they
will help guide you throuhgh this process. Please try to stay strong, and try not to get sucked into a depression. I think the more that you can mentally prepare yourself for this, the better off you are gonna be. That always seemed to be the hardest
part for me. I could "deal" with the physical stuff ya know? But I caved in to the mental part of it, every single time.

I wish you the best, and would like it if you could keep us posted as to how you are doing. Feel free to ask as many
questions as you need to ask, until you feel comfortable with jumping. I know that you are scared right now, and I wish there
was something that I could say to make it better. Just know that I am here for you to help in any way that I can.
Take Care~and God Bless[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. So far I've been at 1 mg for two days now and things are stable. It makes me feel incredibly at ease to know that I have an outlet here and people who will listen. I know that things wont stay rosie for too long, and when they begin to deteroriate...I will reach out for help. Many thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi there! You are absolutely correct to assume that you have a place to come to where people will listen to you.
I know that I can say without hesitation, that I look at this forum like a family. I care what happens to each and every
person on here. It's good to know that you are willing to reach out for help when things start to deteriorate. But if there
is one piece of advice that I could offer, it's this. Try not to look at it that way. Try not to convince yourself that things
are absolutely going to deteriorate. They may NOT.

I think that a positive attitude is key in how much you suffer throughout this. I'm not saying that having a positive attitude
will mean that you will come out of it without a single symptom, period. All that I am suggesting is that if you mentally
prepare yourself for what symptoms COULD arise, and prepare yourself to deal with them before hand~It'll probably
be easier when and if they do arise. For example, if you get prepared now with any kind of comfort meds like clonidine,
(Blood pressure med), immodium, gatorade, a sleep aid such as melatonin, or whatever else you MAY need....then you
know that you have this licked, IF it gets bumpy. Just try to have a plan to stay active. Stay hydrated. And keep your
mind busy so as not to focus on any little symptome that might crop up.

Sometimes we as human beings tend to focus on the negative and run with it. TRy to just stay poitive, surround yourself
with positive people, and I think that you will get through the worst of it in no time at all :D

If you need anything at all~don't forget to post! There are a lot of great members here that I am sure will be more than
willing to help you out. So until then, Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI TWELVESTEPS

I just now saw your thread, and noticed you had some questions, about what dose to jump from and things like that,,,,,,,,

there are a couple threads I suggest to people that are starting to taper. I think they are VERY WORTH the time to read them. One, is a long slow taper, (liquid taper method) and one is a high-dose-jump with a guy who really did a great job getting thru it. Really goes to show, what Kelly said is right, a positive attitude will take you FAR!!!

so here they are, and GOOD LUCK

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296 (liquid taper method)

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5965 (jumped w/o a parachute)

Oh, and something came up just recently,,,,, a new idea of using a hole puncher, to 'micro-dose' and there are a couple other good ways in here too,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7449

HOPE this helps!!!!!!!!

good luck, and look forward to hearing more from ya

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I jumped right around 1mg. All I can tell you is that for me it was nothing compared to detoxing from oxy/ roxy. I never did heroin so I can't compare the two, but I was doing a minimum of 450mg of oxy/roxy and the many times I tried to quit from them it was just awful.

I actually jumped before I found this forum so if I had to do it all over again I'd prolly go lower but I was just grateful at the time to be as low as I was. I didn't miss work at all. During the day I was fine. Sleeping and restless legs were the toughest for me. The sneezing fits and the yawning were annoying but they weren't too bad.

How you feeling so far? You can do it. Your mind sounds like its right where you need it to be. You'll do great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would recommend using those 3 strips you have left to taper to 0.5mg, then to 0.25mg. When you get down to those low amounts you can get quite a few doses out of an 8mg strip! Being at the low doses for a couple of weeks gives your body a chance to clean out all of the Sub that is stacked up in your system. I stopped at about 0.5 mg and I didn't think the WD was bad at all. I had a lot of sweats and CHILLS, minor bathroom issues and a few episodes of bad anxiety - none of which was more than I could handle. I didn't have the pain and skin crawling feeling that I got going off full agonists. I had a few sleepless nights, but I was sleeping 6 hours (broken) after a week. The worst for me was the depression and extreme lethargy. But honestly, I was pretty much over all of it in 3 weeks, and I felt it was doable - and I'm a wimp.
So my advice to you, and anyone else getting ready to jump, is don't believe the scare tactics. You CAN do it. The important thing is having a plan for STAYING clean once you are off Sub.
Good luck,
Lilly