It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Tried Wellbutrin too. No luck. Just anxiety, which I don't need. When I say I don't know anyone w/this problem, I mean I don't know anyone with chronic pain and what someone with it does for relief. I'm treading on new ground. I'm not sure if Tramadol works differently than other opiates, but it seems to be mentioned quite often with FM, and that it works well with the pain. And from what others have said about it, tolerance doesn't seem to be a problem for PAIN. I'm sure it is,(was) someones' DOC where tolerance did go up when trying to get high off them. My guess would be that not everyone who gave their opinion of the drug and it's effects on FM lacked the "addiction" gene, so even possible addicts were put on this drug w/out a need for a raise in dose. I don't believe anyone should be totally pain-free. That's just part of life, IMO. I just know that I'd rather be productive instead of signing up for disability. I'll take pain-free(ish) than getting high and wasting my meds any day. I think my massive detox time had an impact on my decision-making. Kinda hard to forget what it's like to feel like crap for 3 1/2 yrs. Not really sure what else to do. FM forums mention all the meds listed above, with no luck, minus the name-brand only meds. Still can't afford them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Racer,

I have used tramadol on and off for a few years. I do know some people abuse it but I get absolutely no feeling from it. It's like taking Tylenol except it works better. I have not had to up my dose at all, but I don't take it everyday all day. I get pretty decent pain relief from the tramadol with Suboxone. I can no longer take full opiate pain medication because I got addicted. If you try it please be careful to not abuse it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

quadracersteve said: "And from what others have said about it, tolerance doesn't seem to be a problem for PAIN." What do you mean by that? There's always tolerance, regardless of if there's pain or not. If one takes a full agonist opiate consistently, their tolerance WILL go up.

quadracersteve said: "I just know that I'd rather be productive instead of signing up for disability." Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you think everyone on disability is unproductive? And that we just choose to go on disability? I disagree - many if not most people on disability simply don't have a choice - they CANNOT work. And yes, I'm on disability.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When I was on opiates, I worked. Was able to work overtime to pay bills. Was a chemist. Managed a large business. 60+ hrs/week were the norm. Along with salary and quarterly bonuses. That type of money isn't allowed to be earned, (as far as I know), while on disability. Disability wouldn't allow me to do those things which allows me to pay my bills. The things I enjoy.

As for tolerance, the people that gave reviews on Ultram that I've read mentioned their time on it, whether 2 yrs, 8 yrs or time in between w/out a need for an increase in dose. Just like my 9 yrs on methadone. I never needed an increase, and that was for addiction, nevermind the pain it took away. That's a full-on opiate. That's why I asked if Tramadol works differently in the brain than other opiate meds.

When I say "productive", I mean providing for my family, especially when I'm the bread-winner in my family. I have a friend and cousin on disability. Both live with their fathers because of the tiny check they gets every month, and because of the job where they can only earn a certain amount at. I can't live,(provide), on that type of $. No one said that disable people can't be productive, my cousin lectures about brain injury at colleges, but on MY productive scale of 1-10, one being a couch potato; me with no pain: 9, me with pain:4-5. My anxious personality needs to be at a high number or I'm just a nervous wreck looking for things to do. Xanax is great for panic/anxiety attacks, but unless I take too many, no bz out there helps with my GAD. That's where high-stress work actually helps me. Helps me focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again quadracer,

I wanted to clarify on my experience with tramadol. Like I said before I get absolutely no buzz of any kind off of it. I did not even realize it was an opiate until coming to this site a few weeks ago. In the few years there have been times that I have taken it consistently I just do my anymore. I have never felt the need to increase my dosage and it works the same now as when I started. That being said obviously it doesn't work as good as oxy but it does help. Since I have been taking both tramadol and subs I have had even better pain control which leads me to believe it must work different than other opiates or maybe it isn't one. If it was I should get no help from it because of the sub blocking it but i do. Again this is just my experience but if it can help you maybe you should try it. I didn't even know people abused it until reading this site as well so make sure you don't. I hope you find relief nobody should have to live in pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sorry for the typo, it was supposed to say I just don't take it consistently anymore. I really need to stop using my phone lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So ok a lot of people def seem to disagree and think suboxone works for pain I just was wondering if you can take the time and rate your pain for me I really want to get a idea of where peoples pain levels are at with using this drug for pain.

So on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst what would you rate your pain at while using Suboxone for pain management?

For myself when I was on suboxone my pain was an 8 to 10 and a 8 was rare but I got lucky once in a while with a 8 but most days either a 9 or 10 depending my activity. Since going on methadone at 130mgs 0 to 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bboy,

Prior to my surgery in May I was a consistent 8 and at times up to a 10th. I would have never taken sub to help with that as oxy barely touched it. Since my surgery I would day I am between a 5-7. Being at a 5 i just use sub and ibuprofen and can knock it down a point or two. When I am having a 7 day I have to add the tramadol to get relief and then I am able to knock it down to a 3 or 4. I would say if methadone can take you from 8-10 to 0-3 that it is a no brainer to stay on the methadone. I am happy for you that you were able to find something to control your pain. Being in 8-10 constant pain is a miserable existence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If I had to rate pain, 1-10, with a 10 being either a pinched siatiac nerve or a bone protruding out of my skin, (that's MY experience of a 10), on Subs I was around a 7-8. Again, Advil may knock it down a couple points, but that's at toxic levels. The last few nights I've woken up with it at an 8 with only Advil in me. Bad enough to wake me and keep me up. A 10 would have me driving to the E.R. I agree w/Bboy about methadone though. At 125mg's/day, I never even thought about pain. But I got tired of paying weekly and 9 yrs of going everyday because I was on a bz,(even with clean urines), was enough to make me quit. Now, maybe if a doctor were to prescribe it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea Ann do you find a 5 to be tolerable? I mean a 7 def can’t be fun and just wondering if the tramadol helps you so much on bad days why not take it every day? I mean when it comes to pain even knocking your pain down 2 points to a 3 from a 5 is a big difference and must make your day much easier I would assume.

Hey Q yea I mean when I was at a 10 I didn’t bother going to the ER because I already knew what they were going to tell me so it was just deal with it. And I am pissed I dealt with it for 6 years that’s why I have so much anger with suboxone/ my DOCOTOR. But yea man even when I was on 30mgs of methadone in the beginning it worked a thousand times better than 32mg of sub did and it only got better and better as I went up. And now at 130 pains is the last thing on my mind most days and I find myself actually worrying about things that a kid my age should worry about. What does BZ mean benzo or something else? But yea with 9 years of clean urines and no take homes def would be a pain the ass I mean going to a clinic every day for a week sucks but 9 years wow. And yes the weekly payments suck if you cant afford it but I find the amount of money people pay a week for the clinic is prolly more than they spent in a couple days during active addiction so it could be worst. But I do understand not wanting to continue treatment after going to a clinic everday that long. As of getting it from a DR if your clinic would put in a good word for you and mention the 9 years clean with no dirty urines and true pain issues it would prolly be pretty easy for you to get a script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, bz means benzo, as in Xanax,( prescribed). Anti-depressants aren't even allowed. No good word is going to be put in for me. I burned all bridges there. I was known as the mouth because I said what everyone else thought. Imagine standing outside in a blizzard, with the doors locked, while everyone inside was drinking coffee and we all can see their clock is past the opening time, and the doors are opening up late EVERY DAY for all 9 years! I got written up for pounding on the door. I was also tired of having their pc's crash and them leaving us outside for 45min-1hr w/out telling us anything, then finally letting like 50 people inside to hand-dose with only one window open. I finally blew up at them, and good thing I did cause the manager was there, (first time), and said that she was hearing of the computer problems for the first time. After that, no pc issues. I'm no lemming. I don't bitch about something, like everyone outside did, then smile in someones face when they open the door when it has an impact on my day. I ran out of excuses as to why I was late for work most days. I finally had to tell my boss where I was going instead of lying. Quite imbarassing. All I know is I wouldn't need 125mg's. That was for 3 grams of H a day. I know they make 40mg pills, and the thought of having to take it only once a day is promising if they prescribe it. Just not sure if methadone is used for treating chronic pain. Still has a bad stigma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just a quick word on Tramadol, if you don't feel an opiate effect from it , it means that either you don't have the liver enzyme that converts it into an opiate in your system or the fact that you are on Sub blocks the opiate effect. Either way Tramadol itself w/out the m1 metabolite has a mild analgesic effect (unknown mode of action). And if that alone helps your pain, that's great.
For people NOT on Sub, Tramadol most definitely builds tolerance. I went from 100mg a day to 700. I spoke to people who were taking 1400-1700 mg / day and having seizures because their tolerance was so high. *shudder*

For FM, what about massage, acupuncture, whirlpools or other alternative therapies? I have a friend with FM who swears by acupuncture . These things take time and a commitment (and sometimes money) but they have to be better than going on disability (or standing outside in a blizzard!).
Hope you can find something that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly, thanks for the info. I was a bit confused because I didn't even realize it could get you high until coming here and have been a little scared of it. Since I take such a low dose it is possible I don't feel it because me tolerance is already so high to opiates? I don't know maybe I am just getting a placebo effect but hey I'll take it.

Bboy, I Tory not to take it too much since finding out it can get you high. I am a little scared of it now.

Post subject: Re: Sub and pain
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

laddertipper wrote:
I have to say that I also don't think Sub is that great for pain, in my experience. I'm tapering off at this point, and a huge fear to me was an increase in pain. After a drop, my pain surges, specifically my fibro pain. It get horrible. However, if you take out the immediate whiplash of discomfort from a drop, my pain level for the fibro is not one bit worse than it was on 32 mg of Sub. This has been quite a surprise....a pretty welcome one. I guess it's different for everyone. I also don't think I would have even known that I could be okay w/o Sub for pain unless I tried to taper off, because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

laddertipper

This is because you are suffering from NERVE pain, which opiates (including Suboxone) won't touch. Use Lyrica for fibromyalgia. There are two things opiates won't touch: nerve pain and cluster headaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's the opposite of my experience. Oh and it's still not been proven that fibro is a condition related to nerves. It could be an immune-related condition. Lyrica doesn't do a thing for me, and for lots others it's the same. Hell, if Lyrica had worked for me I'd have never gone on pain meds to begin with. (But that's a different thread altogether.)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.