It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ive been on sub for a while now i take about 2mgs 2x a day.. .about 4mg a day... Taking more than 4mgs a day once its built up in my system does not but increase bad side effects...

Anyways i am extremely tired and have no energy all the time...

Its impossible for me to get up in the morning and i seem to sleep forever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A number of people have similar issues - myself included. People often complain about this. I'm not so much tired all the time. But I definitely need more hours sleep than I would normally. It's hard.

I think I've gotten used to it over the months a bit. It may also be a question of dose. If you're feeling sedated, or a mild opioid buzz, you may need a small dose reduction and it should reduce the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm experiencing the same problem on subutex--extreme fatigue--a problem I've never had before. I can't think clearly. I'm a professor so it's difficult. I teach 8 a.m. classes and staying awake for the 75 mile ride home is impossible. I finally took some Adderall (leftovers from a script for concentration) for the drive and that kept me up and solved the problem; otherwise I'm sleeping most of the day. I take 8mm 3 X day for pain and depression. This drug got me off Oxy for good. I do notice that by the 3rd dose I'm experiencing dreamy hallucinations. What does the forum think about any of this. Am I taking too much suboxone? Should I take the dose in one shot? Thanks!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! It sounds like you're dose could be too high. I also take sub for pain and take 8mg in the am and then 4mg around lunch and if I am having a bad pain day will take another 4mg late afternoon. If it were me I would try dosing less and see if it helps with your symptoms.

When using sub for pain Dr. Junig suggests split dosing. Sub only provides pain relief for around 6 hours so taking one big dose would not help and with the long half life likely wouldn't help your side effects either.

I hope you find the right dose for you, it is very individual and can take a few tries before you find your magic number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

THanks so much for your reply! I will try your suggestion. I didn't know about the half life. Another curious symptom on the topic: I've been taking sub for almost 4 years and the fatigue crept up slowly to full blown exhaustion. Have you heard of this as a long term side effect? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Testosterone?

It is possible, but I'd suggest telling your GP and asking to get a set of bloods done, maybe with testosterone levels in there. Sure you'll be able to tell if your testosterone has been affected by your libido, so this MAY be an indicator of the source of the problem.

It's interesting how buprenorphine can have a big impact on testosterone levels, which is associated with fatigue, mood swings, blunted libido, fibromyalgia... Yet they're starting to prescribe buprenorphine for depression? Sometimes the world doesn't make sense to me :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Subutex isn't prescribed for depression but it works for me. I've suffered from major depression all my life and subutex is the only med that ever alleviated my symptoms. It does the same things antidepressants start out to do before they fail: it blunts feeling and stops the ruminating in the head. In a way it's an escape from depression but then that's what narcotics always did for me. Actually what I crave now are stimulants!

Testosterone? I'm female so maybe you're thinking of a male poster? Actually I have taken testosterone (after a hysterectomy) and it made me feel like men must feel--sex crazed. On subutex I have no libido, no thoughts, no desires. Hard on relationships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yup I defiantly feel ya Dr. K. Amphetamines for me seem to be the only thing that helps fight off the extreme tiredness/fatigue/weakness that subs are giving me.

That's interesting that it's working wonders for your depression though. For me I find that my depression is worse now that it ever was before opiate use and during opiate use. I blame all the nasty side effects for making me feel this way. You do have a point how a lot of our emotions are numbed down though, kind of turning you into a zombie. For me, I was THAT heavy of a user and probably didn't actually need sub, so this is the first time I'm actually experiencing not having emotions (although I have tried various SSRI's before). I must say, I miss them. On the plus side, having them numbed probably does prevent us from feeling true sadness/despair/hopeless that usually accompanies depression, but I still feel like I can get pretty damn depressed some days. That seems to be the case more days than not.

I hope low testosterone levels are too blame so I don't need to feel like this throughout my sub detox. Weird thing is a felt the same amount of tiredness on 24mg as I did on 4mg. I sure hope this is the cure so I dont need to resort to adderall to help fight off the bad symptoms of subs anymore. True, I may actually have add (got diagnosed with it, but who knows if that's for sure or not? There's no surefire way to tell), and I really don't want to be taking something I don't actually need, especially something that could be jeopardizing my recovery.

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Sub for about 4 years now, and the horrible fatigue, lethargy, and completel lack of desire for life in general have been the worst effects for me personally. I have taken notice that since I have dropped my dosing in the last few days, that there has been some improvements with some of these things, but I am still needing an average of over 12 hours of sleep each night, and that even then, I'm sucking down coffee and caffeine all morning long just to be able to have basic functioning. It is a very horrible & isolating feeling, and it can be depressing...which if you already suffer from depression, adding to it could result in a serious issue. I don't know that even with a dose reduction there will be. Complete relief though, I have read from some users who are down below 1mg and they still have the same issues, not as severely but they're still there. Unfortunately, there is just a very large lack of knowledge & research being done on this medication & its effects, both short and long term....I do know its a fairly new medication, only being on the market for just about 10 years now....so in a sense, all of us currently are the test subjects you could say. It could be a variety of other things though, as others have stated, but I've personally been tested for everything uner the sun, and all of them have came back normal and negative. In all likelihood, it is the effects of the Subs...there's A LOT of us who are all listing and all stating having almost the exact same type of issues....even the therapy group I attend every week with other Sub users, 95% of them all share the same symptoms and according to all 3 of my physicians, the % of those in their practice that have these symptoms compared to the ones that don't, is about the same, about 90% of their patients on Subs have all been dealing with them, while only a very few have had no remarkable symptoms. (They're definately the lucky ones)

Hopefully you're doing a bit better. Take care of yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I always say this to people. If Suboxone has made your quality of life worse than it was before you started, then FFS of course STOP taking it! The drug isn't the problem, it's the fact you were put on it when you didn't NEED it. And that you keep whinging about how bad it is instead of doing something about it. We have so many whingers on here who cry about life on Suboxone. Instead of whinging, man up and DO something to make your life better. If bupe is the problem in your life, instead of going on forums and telling everyone, remove the problem from your own life. If YOUR life is as bad on bupe as you make it out to be, the withdrawal from it should be a walk in the park in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr.K wrote:
Actually I have taken testosterone (after a hysterectomy) and it made me feel like men must feel--sex crazed. On subutex I have no libido, no thoughts, no desires. Hard on relationships.

What circumstances would make a doctor prescribe testosterone to a female? I'm just wondering because I have had absolutely no sex drive for years. It might be from taking opiates for so long, and now sub, but I don't know what to do about it. I feel bad for my boyfriend and I feel guilt every single day over this. We love each other, like to spend time together, and rarely fight, but we are basically living as roommates because I have no desire to do anything sexual. And I don't know how long I can expect him to go along with this...I know he has needs! I don't want to lose him, but I just can't bring myself to even want to do it. I am attracted to him and it's not because I'm tired at all, I just don't have the desire. Is this something that a doctor might give me testosterone to cure? Or would that make me start growing manly features...LOL! :shock: I definitely don't want that! I just know I need something to help because I don't know if I'm going to be getting off of sub anytime soon, and I don't want to lose my relationship because of this. Have any females on here been prescribed anything that helps libido? Or any OTC supplements?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
I always say this to people. If Suboxone has made your quality of life worse than it was before you started, then FFS of course STOP taking it! The drug isn't the problem, it's the fact you were put on it when you didn't NEED it. And that you keep whinging about how bad it is instead of doing something about it. We have so many whingers on here who cry about life on Suboxone. Instead of whinging, man up and DO something to make your life better. If bupe is the problem in your life, instead of going on forums and telling everyone, remove the problem from your own life. If YOUR life is as bad on bupe as you make it out to be, the withdrawal from it should be a walk in the park in comparison.

I've been lurking around these boards for a month or two soaking up all the great information that has accumulated here after stumbling across the Docs youtube vids.. love him for what he's doing here and love the site.

For whatever reason this above post motivated me to finally register to join the discussion.. I am struggling with fatigue, oversleeping, lethargy, and feelings of lack of motivation that seem to be a side effect of the suboxone. I want to first of all thank everyone who takes their time to share and bring all of this information to this thread and all the others like it.. Tearjerker, don't let anyone get you down.. if I were to have made a thread about my fatigue-related issues it may very well come across as me whining, complaining or bashing the subs. That's not the case and even though I could write a dozen paragraphs about some of the initial frustrations and side effects with the subs it's not to say I couldn't write 10 times as much about the benefits of the drug after just three weeks of using it.

Haters are gonna hate but those of you that are here to really explore these issues, offer support and share from your knowledge and experience... I thank you all. (me and all the other lurkers that normally read these threads from the shadows)