It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: extreme perspiration
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello,

My name is Ryan and I'm new to this forum, I have now been on suboxone for 4 months and am currently waiting to get on the free suboxone program. I currently take between 8-16 MG a day, usually around 12...I'm starting the weening process as I was originally started at 24 MG a day.

Now that we got the introduction out of the way back to my original intended topic: I suffer extreme sweating on Suboxone...not when I'm laying around the house but whenever I get dressed and go out I feel like I am just ready to burst into sweat and sometimes have to bring an extra shirt to keep in the car juts in case I drench the current shirt I am in...I moved from Austin, Texas to Phoenix Arizona and I originally thought it was the extreme humidity in Austin but It still happens here in Arizona in 60-70 degree weather with virtually no humidity. Back when I was a junkie I got a quick week detox subutext program and experienced no sweating. I know sweating is a side effect of buprenorphine in general but sweating is also a side effect of Naloxone. I have no insurance and as I said before I am still waiting to get on the free program and it has been about two weeks now...My CVS has recently began carrying a generic version of Subutext, not Suboxone and I have to assume the price has to be cheaper per a pill then what I am currently paying for suboxone (6.50$). I just took my last dose tonight so I have to get a refill tomorrow anyways.

So, has anyone had this problem? I am wondering about a switch to subutext to see if the sweating subsides a bit....Any experience with this past problem would be GREATLY appreciated...I've been thinking about shaving my head pedro in Napoleon Dynamite style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I experienced sweating in humid environments and was more sensitive to warmer temperatures. If you are like me, then your forehead, back, etc. are sweating, but if you are sweating under the arms you can use drysol (prescription) and that works amazingly well. I used that when I was younger and not only did I not sweat while working out :shock: but it pretty much fixed the problem and I didn't have to use it any longer. I don't use it now as they have removed most of my sweat glands under my arms for other reasons so I don't sweat there nor do I have to use deoderant these days. But until you can make the switch...here is an option you may wish to try.

Post subject: Swea T!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am really glad someone posted something on this subject. I am 25 and I have been on Sub for around 2 years...Geesh that seems like such a long time. Anyways, I am a manager at a family restaurant in Milwaukee, WI and unfortunatly I have to run around A TON... I remeber when I first started taking sub I was taking around 24 mg a day and when I was active I would sweat my BUTT off... I remeber thinking that it had to be the sub because I had never really sweat that much before unless I was playing sports... I am not 100% sure that sub is the cause because for a long time I was NOT active AT ALL cause I was to high all the damn time. :( But, now I am down to 4 mg a day and preparing myself mentally (with MAJOR HELP from this forum) to decrease my dose more, and I have noticed that I dont swear AS MUCH when I am active & moving. So for me at least I think the higher dosage of sub had a bigger effect on me and sweating. More than likely it is different for everybody depending on genetics, weight, age, and health. I also smoke (unfortunatly) and that most likely is a factor as well...
Thanks!
James - Milwaukee, WI

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi mayunholdup,
Thank you for bringing up this subject..... I do the same thing, sweat if I move around at all? It can be a little embarrassing at times I break out in a sweat just being active around the house??? And I live in the NorthEast (Boston) so its definitely not the Humidity. It is hard to hide because when I sweat my forehead becomes very wet as does my neck and back.... :oops: ! I always have a hanky or paper towel in my pocket so I can keep wiping my forehead. It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my daughter's... LOL.. Anyway if thats the only side effect of Suboxone then I'll deal with it!! It is a small price to pay for getting my life back!!! Thanks for shedding some lite on this subject its nice to know I am not alone with this problem!!! I wish you all the best of luck and continued success in your Recovery!!!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I seem to have this problem, too. But I've been having hot flashes for years, so I didn't think much of it. It takes very little to make me break out in a sweat. It happens during sleep as well as during waking hours. Often just the hot water of the shower triggers a hot flash, as does the blow dryer. I have to wait to stop sweating in between the shower, blow drying, and straightening my hair. Makes for a long morning routine - LOL.

Mine usually affects my face and neck, not so much under my arms, although I do use a non-prescription clinical strength antiperspirant/deodorant.

For me, I also take other medications that mess with my body temperature regulation, so I don't blame it solely on the Suboxone, although I understand it can be a side effect.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Mel

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Back sweat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Most of my perspiration is focused on my back area and a little bit on my chest. I agree with you TWINPLY, if this is a side effect then I shall deal with it...I atleast have my life back can find happiness in other things rather than worrying how I'll get my fix. I last took my dose yesterday at four PM and I went to go see my doctor today at 2PM to get a refill and even then I was still sweating while I was waiting in the office. I get very frustrated sometimes with doctors and pharmacists that I try to talk to about suboxone. My first doctor was a jackass who only cared about money and my new one is really good but he doesn't really answer my questions....It seems it effects every individual so differently...Along with the sweating I suffer from severe constipation...worse than I experienced during my 20 Norco a day habit or two ballons of black tar. I've always had constipation though and I take measures to stay as regular as possible...

The only huge drawback is I am about 40 pounds heavier than I have EVER been in my life...I am only 21 and at this time last year I was probably 160 and now I'm tipping the scales at around 200...I've developed a little bit more of a sweet tooth but I wouldn't say I have been eating much more than I ever used too....How about everyone else? Thank you all for your input and help!

Also, YIPEEE I got on the free suboxone program!!! It is such a life saver! I am saving about 300 dollars a month!

Post subject: yup
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have the same complaints. 1. sweats, hot flashes. 2. constipation
The constipation is notorious with opiates so that was no news.. I take something called Holy Tea. It's on ebay and the best I've found for normalizing the situation... a bit expensive, but for me, who also had this problem even before opiates, it's a must to take care of... the stories i could tell.
I live in Hawaii, and I LOVE the winters here. I am deathly afraid of summers and plan to either relocate in summer or get some serious air conditioning going in my office (although I am here only part of the time).

hmmm, wish I could just stop taking sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

holdup:

I too sweat a bit, but not nearly as much as when I was taking oxy's or whatever. I remember doing nothing and dripping sweat after taking other opiates. When I take suboxone, I do sweat a bit, but nothing to complain about (for me). The oxy's and stuff made me sweat mostly on my head/face and on my back. Just wanted to let you know how it was for me...

Also, subutex and suboxone have the same active drug. Buprenorhine is the drug that we are taking that is causing the sweating in some. The nalaxone is not active except for rare situations. You would however save money by being able to take the generic subutex. BUT, you did say that you were able to get into the free suboxone program, awesome!! So, no need to switch I guess! I do hope that you can manage the sweating a bit. For me, living in northeast PA, I don't have to worry about the humidity too much thankfully. But, during the summer when my business is the most busy, I am working long and hard and sweat no matter what chemicals are in my body! I just remember sweating a crazy amount before I was on suboxone, and a 'normal' amount now on suboxone (normal amount for me!).

Good luck!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject: Thanks for the help...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

But for me I never really sweat while I was doing the my opiates...I did everything but I most regularly frequented Norco's 10/325 and took about 15 a day and I never really had a sweating problem, even in the sweltering Austin Summer where it regularly reaches 100 degrees with 100% humidity....Although I avoided outside as much as possible and regulated my temp with ice cold beer at all times.....God, I've been on suboxone for about five+ months and still the thought of waking up and taking five norcos, washing it down with an ice cold beer literally sounds better than sex.

Whatsnormal I also have always had constipation problems...Once when I was on a really bad binge on oxys and norco I don't think I had a bowel movement for about two weeks and I'm not even kidding...It looked like I was ready to have a baby...The constipation is just as bad if not worse on the Suboxone and that's with taking 20-25 sena laxatives a day! I haven't gone for about a week now is it possible that I have gained a tolerance for the Sena Laxative and suppositories I take? Should I switch to different kinds to achieve results? I am honestly thinking about getting an enema...I can't stand this damn bloated feeling. IT DRIVES ME CRAZZZY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi mayunholdup --

I also had bouts of sweating early on. I may have more again - I certainly sweat earlier than usual.

Here are a couple of things that helped me, although I have NO idea if they will help you.

Constipation:

1- I eat shredded wheat every day - a big bowlful.

Sweating

2- Went to once a day dose - spitting out remainder after dose (to reduce headaches and sweating seemed to go down a little too).

BOTH:

3- I adjusted my dose. Over and over, I hear about certain side effects going down with smaller doses of sub. The interesting part is getting down to about 4mg a day - seems to come with small wd's. I'm not that low, but smaller seems better for all side effects.

There is a ceiling effect that seems to happen from 4 - 8mg (some lower, some higher). For a while, there was a thread about the 'lowest dose that still works' and for me it's been learning where that dose is.

I'll still probably have flashes, or a ease to sweat - more that on percocets. I'm wondering if the fact you were on hydrocodone - not oxycodone - if your receptors are too flooded with suboxone - and you are experiencing side effects as if you went to the hospital and had big IV's of opiates, and followed up by big doses of oxy. If that were the case, you'd get quite a few people (doc's and nurses) saying to be careful - you'll get constipated.

Sweating - is different. I'm much better now. I think that my beginning to walk 5 X week for 40 mins - brisk/sweat point has also helped.

Just thoughts! Good Luck.

Post subject: Welcome....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 pm 
Welcome to the forum!

I just wanted to say, if you truly are taking 20-25 Senna laxatives a day, you need to CALL AND MAKE AN APPOINMENT WITH YOUR DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY. That indicates a SERIOUS medical problem. When your colon comes to rely on that much stimulant to make it work, even if it's only been a few months, it can destroy the natural way your colon functions for the rest of your life. This is no joke!! You should be really, really worried about that. Senna is considered a very potentiall dangerous laxative if used incorrectly, and that includes overuse. I'm not trying to bitch at you, man, but it really worries me. If your Suboxdoc just blows you off and tells you to buy over-the-counter, go to a general practicioner.
I had the exact same problems, and was using stimulant laxatives all the time. Then I went to a good family doc, and he told me to get some powder fiber like Metamucil (or generic), and take it one to three times a day with a lot of water. I'm telling you, IT WILL WORK. Plus it's healthy and adds good fiber to your diet. And your colon will not be ruined, which is what is going to happen very soon if you continue taking senna and other laxatives.

Other than that, yeah, all the side-effects are from the buprenorphine. The naloxone is not absorbed at all sublingually, and what little you swallow is destroyed completely on the first pass through your liver. And the ridiculous thing about the manufacturer even including naloxone in Suboxone to deter users from shooting it up is that the negative effects of naloxone only last about 20-30 minutes, even if injected. That's why, in ER's, they have to either give opioid-overdoses a continuous IV of Narcon (naloxone) or keep giving the patient injections of naloxone every so often. Some people on this forum say not to swallow the spit accumulated while the tablet is dissolving, as you will get headaches and other negative effects from the naloxone, but that's hogwash.

As far as the sweating, the only drug fix for that I can think of is an anticholinergic drug, such as Cogentin (benztropine). Basically anticholinergics dry you out, and your sweating would be greatly decreased. BUT you would have to be extra careful not to overheat in the spring and summer.

James

Post subject: Re: Welcome....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ziggy wrote:
Some people on this forum say not to swallow the spit accumulated while the tablet is dissolving, as you will get headaches and other negative effects from the naloxone, but that's hogwash.

I'm curious, why do you not believe the people who've personally experienced a reduction in headaches by not swallowing the naloxone? What is it that makes it "hogwah"? Do you have a source?

It may not be my place to point this out, but on this forum we try to keep things within the realm of our opinions and experiences, unless a poster has a fact that can be backed up by a reputable source. Saying other people are just wrong for no clear reason isn't what this forum is about, at least as I understand it.

I'm just sayin'...

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:00 am 
hatmaker:

OK....This is an excerpt from Suboxdoc's post in a thread entitled "Doc changed me from Suboxone to Subutex" in the forum room "Dosing Discussion" on Jan. 18 2010:

"When I was an anesthesiologist, it was fairly common to inject naloxone intravenously. If a patient had a narcotic-based anesthetic, sometimes a tiny sprinkle of naloxone was needed to get the person breathing again at the end of the case. There were a couple risks to giving even small doses of IV naloxone; one was that even a small IV dose could precipitate pulmonary edema by effects on pressures in the pulmonary venous circulation. Too much naloxone could result in the patient awakening in pain. Finally, naloxone is a very short-acting medication, so there was risk of 'renarcotization', where the naloxone got the person breathing, but then wore off as you waled the patient to the ICU or recovery room, causing the patient to stop breathing. Gosh, I sometimes miss those days!

The primarly point of relevance here is that naloxone is a very short-acting drug. It lasted about 15-20 minutes in small doses-- and the doses in Suboxone are also small doses. It wears off by being metabolized by the liver, and also by 'redistributing' throughout the body and becoming very diluted in the bloodstream. I also (ick) injected naloxone by accident into myself during a desperate weekend search for narcotics-- so desperate that I injected the contents of an unlabelled syringe that tasted like an opiate (I would taste the things I found to try to avoid dying of an injection of a paralyzing agent-- pretty dumb stuff).

Suboxone and Subutex are equal when taken orally. The naloxone is not going to be absorbed, because the lipid nature of cell membranes is universal. So everyone who takes Suboxone ends up swallowing naloxone, and almost everyone gets no effect from it.... but let's imagine for the sake of argument that the original writer of this thread WAS getting an effect from the naloxone... maybe it was not completely broken down at the liver. If that was the case, the person would get withdrawal symptoms from the naloxone for maybe 20 minutes-- which is how long naloxone lasts, even when INJECTED, and in much higher doses than what is found in Suboxone. There is just no way that the naloxone in Suboxone is going to have a prolonged effect in the body-- of ANYONE. And even if it did have an effect, the effect would be withdrawal." - Suboxdoc

On the basis of that, and my own personal experience, I said: "Some people on this forum say not to swallow the spit accumulated while the tablet is dissolving, as you will get headaches and other negative effects from the naloxone, but that's hogwash." The intent was not neccessarily to make a statement about whether swallowing the saliva or not is good or bad, rather I was trying to save him the *headache* (don't even go there, LOL) of all the claims about the boogeyman naloxone he will hear. A tiny bit of naloxone that lasts at a maximum (even when injected in a hospital setting) of twenty minutes is not going to give someone a headache all day or night every day. I admit, I could have stated that more succinctly. However, as you said: "on this forum we try to keep things within the realm of our opinions and experiences," so that's my opinion, based on the evidence I have and that I believe. That was Suboxdoc's opinion as well, in that he was resoponding to someone blaming headaches and all manner of ailments on the side-effect scapegoat known as naloxone. I'm sorry you don't like my opinion, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. You are entitled to your opinions also. OPINIONS VARY.
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well,I have switched to a different much more gentle Laxative that I take about 2-3 times a week. Fiber does nothing for me unless I take a laxative. I've heard it A MILLION times believe me. All fiber does for me is make me very bloated. I have been constipated since birth...Extreme Constipation...I have some horror stories that I'd rather not share. I CAN'T go to the bathroom without laxatives. The Suboxone just compounds my constipation my that much more...It makes black tar heroin seem like a cake walk in terms of stuffing you up. I plan to get a colonoscopy eventually but as I have stated I don't have insurance and am very, very low in the funds department right now. So for now, I'll continue to take laxatives, eat fiber, drink water and take the occasional enema.

The new laxative I am taking is called Dulcolax which is a very gentle over night laxative. I only need to take 3-4 at the time (which is the recommended dose) to make me go the next day.

Everyone's body is different...Just having a high fiber diet might work for you but it does NOTHING for me...If there was a ranking for constipations level that I would be past legendary. I don't have an impacted colon or anything like that I'm just doomed to be constipated my whole life.

Laxative dependency take a much longer amount of time to develop than what I am currently going through. For now all I can do is monitor how much I take, drink water, and take fiber till I can see a gastrologist which is the last thing on my mind with all of the money issues I am currently under.

Post subject: Dulcolax is actually ok
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:15 am 
Dulcolax is like the one laxative that is ok to take long-term, so that's great that it works for you. I'm sorry you have so much trouble and are out of funds. Just think, if the health care bill passes tomorrow, you might get free (subsidized) healthcare within 6 months or a year. I know it seems like a long time, but it's really important. Good luck to you!
j

Post subject: Hang in there!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey m-

Just caught up on the thread. Good news indeed about dulcolax helping. Good luck with future help on the GI track work. Sounds like this is not your first rodeo in that arena.

We have GI issues in our family as well. The unfortunate part, is that lots of GI folks, of course, are really down on opiates (or suboxone even) - only because they look at us from the 'peristalsis' through the GI track angle, which opiates substantially slow. Some in our family have been on low dose medications to make the natural contractions harder/faster - but last time we went through them - you build a tolerance fast - and they quit working. Not always. The field is always changing, so you may find a new treatment, or recommendation(s) - of which I'd love to hear in the coming month(s) when you do get help in that area.

My $.02 is you are doing what you can - and you will find your 'stride' with this. There will certainly be time of constipation, and probably time of -over-doing-it- diarrhea. Sounds like our house.

Good luck with everything. I was wondering if any of the other side effects have changed for you? Ziggy posted the information about naloxone which it's short half life and such are well understood. I spit the stuff out, because it helped me with my headaches, and I believe some of my sweating decreased. Why? Psychological? Sheesh - I'm way past having to know the reasons for simple things like this (i.e. If it's psychological only - I could care less - I don't have a headache :) ). It doesn't hurt a thing, decrease anything to spit - and if 'for whatever reason' it helps with side effects - it's simple to try. To some that is too 'gross' and they just swallow the saliva as the pill dissolves and they have no side effects. Either way, there is no harm done.

Thanks for the postings and continued involvement on the forum. It's great to have you on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It seems my sweating has subsided a little bit...Not much though. I have been trying to rotate when I take my dose and when I go out. I'm on a 12-16 MG dose...I'm actually doing 10-12 MG and I think that is more of my comfort zone. Usually, If I have to do things I'll do all of that first then take my dose later in the day. I've been looking for jobs like crazy lately with no luck (The Phoenix Job Market is a wasteland) and I'm worried about being a sweaty pig at work...Espcially since the Phoenix Summer is coming up soon. I asked my doctor If I could take my dose all at once rather than splitting it and he gave it the ok. I'm not doing it to catch a "buzz" or anything...It's just for me when I take my second dose later at night I get really drowsy and clammy.

I'm glad to here Dulcolax is okay to take for the long term...I notice it feels much more gentle too. Whenever I would take Senna before my bowel movement I would have extreme cramps. Almost debilitating to the point where I couldn't even go out that day in fear of my leaving a hershey kiss in my pants... :roll: I know...I'm gross but we all POOP!

I really appreciated all of the help I have received on here. Everyone has been so informative and seem to have everyone's best interest at heart. My immediate family has been supportive...The ones I have told at least...Although it's very hard for them to relate since they aren't really going through the same thing. So, thank you for your help, information and continued caring!

Thank you,
Ryan K. Leddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi guys I came on here to see about the sweating. Been on 8 mg once a day for about 9 months and was wondering if something is medically wrong with me and reading this discussion made me feel much better. I sweat so badly from the head that I feel like people think I'm dying. After reading this I can accept it. I'm going to bring it up to my doctor next week when I go. I'll see if he knows anything that hasn't been mentioned. This forum is great and I'm glad to have found it!

Thanks!

Post subject: Glad You found Us.....
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:09 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi glen bee,
Hello & Welcome To the Forum.... Glad you found the information here helpful. I think if you look around a little you will find much more information that may be useful to you ?? I have been coming here for almost a year now and found it to be a Big part of my Recovery..... So look around and if you have any questions or comments Please feel free to share. That's what this is all about----- We learn and get support from each other. If you have a question you would like to ask in private you can PM myself or one of the other Moderators and we will try to help you, But there are many experienced people out here on the site that are willing to share as well so either way is fine :) .... Well I wish you continued success on your Recovery and Please come back and post often!!! Best of Luck..

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome, Glee!

Honestly, the last few months the sweating has seemed to subside a bit. I mean, I still get a little moist but I mean it wasn't like I was before when I would get out of the car and the back of my shirt would literally be so drenched it was actually clinging to my body. Be sure to let us know what your doctor says, I know every doctor/pharmacist I have asked don't really have an answer. I find it incredibly annoying that most of the time I seem to know more about this drug than most of the people who prescribing/dispensing it too me.

Last doctor visit, my doctor messed up with my free Suboxone and only ordered me 30 instead of 60, so for the other thirty he wrote me a script for the generic Subutex(One draw back is that it literally taste like someone sprayed some rat poison in my mouth. It's much, much more bitter than the regular Subutex) I'll be honest, I have noticed a difference in terms of sweating. I mean, I'm unemployed and it's starting to heat up in Phoenix so I don't go outside much but even when I do, it's not nearly as bad. I know you when you take Suboxone you barely absorb any naloxone but according to drugs.com a side effect of Naloxone is sweating:

Side Effects of Naloxone - for the Consumer

Naloxone

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Naloxone:

Change in mood; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; trembling; vomiting.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Naloxone:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dizziness; fainting; fast or irregular pulse; flushing; headache; heart rhythm changes; seizures; sudden chest pain.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/naloxone-side- ... z0nKOcw5Pb