It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have talked about my mouth before, how bad it is.
well I got an absess so bad last weekend, it DIDNT respond to antibiotics.
saw an oral surgeon today,
gonna have all 13 pulled on thurs afternoon, cuz the infection is in the bone now.
then Im going to have 3 teeth that remain, and a partial. After my gums heal a bit of course.

Im finally taking the bull by the horns, and getting this done. Im SO tired of the pain. IT SUX. I missed work today, Ive just felt HORRIBLE ALL weekend long. so its nice to see light at the end of the tunnel.

im going in to talk with my sub doc tomorow, cuz the dentist is giving me benzo of some sort to be 'somewhat sedated' during the procedure. thats the only thing easing my mind a lil. I cant imagine all those broken teeth coming out, with me having a 'front row seat' literally.
my sub doc thinks I should fill a narcotci pain med, 'in case' I need it. thats what were talking about tomorow. he said we could put together a
3 day pain relief plan...........
after I get all the absessed ones taken care of, then Im getting the top ones fixed too, except, ALL THE TOP ones are coming out, and I'll have a full denture there.
total cost both top and bottom, $7500

chaulk that up with EVERything else Ive ruined while my drug use ran wild, *sigh*

Anyways, GLAD im getting them fixed. I havent been able to eat potato chips in YEARS. potato chips, ummm I miss them.

Just wanted to post about this. maybe some ones been thru it,
any words of wisdom?
do I go ahead and fill the Rx the doc wants to give me? hes offered before when my mouth was infected, and I turned it down, but he said 13 extractions is NO joke, and he wont be avialible on the weekend.
is is a relapse for me to do that?
I mean, I know its not IF I stick to what the doc says, but WHAT WOULD MAKE IT a relapse? wheres the line

and the benzo the dentist wants to give me, I dont feel thats a relapse, I feel like I need to be at least a LITTLE unaware of whats going on. this is 13 teeth!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks forum family, in advance.
I'll keep posting here, after I talk to my sub doc, and after my 'procedure"

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wanted to add one more thing.

the last 3 dentists Ive seen (before doc Jeff today) treated me awfully.
like, I was this deasised Piece of shit with a terrible mouth, that didnt deserve dental work unless I had 5,000 cash, right then to pay up front.
seriously, the one I saw a month ago, wanted 5 g's, to do ANYTHING.

I told him my whole, well the 'hi lights' of the last ten years, concentrating mostly on the last ten months of recovery, and he was actually really understanding, and encouraging.
he had no problems comunicating with my sub doc (after I signed a paper) and actually treating me like a HUMAN,
not like a drug user.

I called his office at 8am, he saw me at noon, musta been his lunch break, and took xrays, and the whole bit, and took AN HOUR explaing all my options.
this is the FIRST DENTIST thats acted this way since my teeth went 'down hill' about 4 years ago.

just HAD to add that :) :) :)

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amber give yourself a break. You are having a lot of work done and you deserve adequate pain relief. The benzo the dentist is going to give you, you WILL be thankful for. It will relax you and make it easier for the doctor to work on you. ABSOLUTELY FILL the RX. It's better to be safe than sorry.yes? This is NOT a relapse, not even close. You can handle this. Just remember the reason you are in this situation in the first place (active addiction) and that is likely to help you stay on course. Your addiction has made enough of a mess for you to clean up. You already know it gets you nowhere good. So relax, allow yourself to have pain relief during your procedure and take what you need to be comfortable. If you do not trust yourself maybe give your meds to a friend/relative/partner to keep for you & help you monitor your use. I think you will be good. Good luck and please keep us posted. You got this girl....... :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bud,

I'm very glad that you're finally getting your grill fixed. You HAVE to be excited about that, but dreading it at the same time. It'll all be worth it, I'm sure. No more infections or abcesses.....YAY!!!

OK, I have to tell you about mixing Benzo's with Suboxone. Suboxone is an opiate and as such, it can depress your breathing. Benzo's can depress your breathing as well. Mixing the two at high enough doses can cause you to stop breathing. PLEASE make sure your dentist is aware of this. Also, I'd like you to double check with your Suboxone doctor about your dentist giving you high doses of Benzo's. Ask him if he's aware that there have been deaths reported from the combination of Benzo's and Suboxone.

I just google searched Suboxone and Benzo deaths, the third and fourth hit came up relevant.

I'm honestly not trying to scare the living shit out of you, I am trying to make sure that you're prepared, though.

As far as the pain meds, if I were you, I'd get them and give them to my spouse. You know as well as I do that we addicts can't be trusted with pain meds in OUR hands. Give them to your husband and let him dole them out to you. A 3 day supply of pain meds will get you through the worst of the pain. CRAP, you're on Suboxone though, the pain meds most likely won't work?? Well, it won't hurt to have them.

Gosh, your surgery is this Thursday?? You really should be off of Suboxone for a few days so the pain meds will be effective.

Did your Suboxone doctor not talk to you about how to get adequate pain relief??

I'm really not that fluent with pain relief while on Suboxone, so I'm hoping that someone else who knows more on that subject will come and post.

*sigh*, I feel like I just pissed on your parade, but I HAD to let you know this stuff.

As a side note, I went through an ankle fusion surgery while I was addicted to Oxy 80's and basically got NO pain relief from the morphine drip they gave me, it was a long night, that's for sure, but it was only pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thanku sweet, and romeo.....

and tomorow, my sub doc has a 'consult' scheduled with me, to go over everything.

Im hoping this will clear up alot of my questions. I did take my sub dose today, BECUASE im in so much pain.
Im gonna TRY not to take any, or just a half or something till I talk to my sub doc tomorow, and ask his opinion.

and yes, I will get some answers from him about the benzos.
but the dentist, did talk with him briefly today, on the phone, and he said my sub doc would RATHER me take a benzo for the apt than anything else. so I dont know, he must know what he's talking about.

I dont want to be 'thrown to the wolves' for the weekend, thats for sure, so I started a list of questions for the sub doc tomorow.
and I gotta get it done by friday, according to the dentist, or the infection will surely spread even more :roll:

and I am GLAD I'll be getting this taken care of, but just as scared, becuase lets just say the last few dds's Ive seen,
my experiences, werent great,,,,,,,,
thats an understatement.

thanks agian for your support, and I'll for sure post what the sub doc has to say tomorow.

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I just now remebered that I got "snipped" (vasectomy....YIKES!!!) while I was on Suboxone AND the doctor shot me up with Valium to relax "everything", well, he shot enough Valium in me that I didn't even remember the procedure (which is a good thing!!)

So, I was on Suboxone AND got shot with Valium in an IV, enough to where I was in la la land and I came out OK.

Maybe the deaths were related to opaite naive and Benzo naive patients??

I'm really sorry if I worried you, it wasn't my intention, I did want you to know about the danger, though.

BTW, good job in getting a list of questions ready for your doctor!!

Post subject: That's a Mouthful
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 pm 

Wow, 13 teeth pulled at the same time? I had no idea that could be done. And a benzo to calm you down? Don't they have the gas or something to knock you out? Sure hope it's a powerful benzo and that it does the job. The only teeth that will cause you more pain are the infected ones, and for those any relief you can get, take it.

As far as a relapse goes, only you can say that it was or wasn't. Take it as prescribed and know your addict brain will want you to take more and more. If you can succeed in doing that then of course it isn't a relapse.

Keep in mind Amber that by being on Suboxone your tolerance will most likely make it where you won't feel the pills. It doesn't mean they aren't working to reduce the pain, you just won't feel them. But aren't you on a low dose now? If so, you should be able to feel them a little bit.

Congrats on stepping up and getting this done. You are one brave trooper.

And yes, it is so very nice to find a Dr. who treats you like you should be treated. Why there are so many arse holes out there is beyond me. I think a lot of us have had the addict treatment from the medical field. You just have to keep searching for the good compassionate doctors, and it looks like you found one. That's great.

What about implants? Are they way too expensive? I don't know much about them, only what I read in the funny papers.

Hope it all turns out okay and buy yourself your favorite potato chips!

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

we talked about implants, they are

you ready?

$3200 EACH

thats with the office visit and all. of course it goes down a LITTLE with quantity.....LOL

BUT, I can always get them later he said. I said, like after I win the LOTTO????

LOL........ he wrote up a plan of 4 'anchor teeth' implants, at $2200 a piece. and I guess it IS better to wait at least 6 months after the teeth are all pulled to get a good implant.
so its an option.

and romeo, you worry tooooo much.....lol
its all good. Im ALREADY scared shitless. Especially since I didnt work today. all ive done is think about these damn rotten teeth!!!!!!
I know your just trying to help homie

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not sure if you saw my post last week, but I have 5 extractions and used my suboxone to accommodate me for pain management. 2 days after my appointment to have those 5 extractions, I had my regular Suboxone visit, and told my doctor of my dental work..I never used any pain meds offered by the dentist.

Post subject: GOOD LUCK
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jonathanm1978 wrote:
Not sure if you saw my post last week, but I have 5 extractions and used my suboxone to accommodate me for pain management. 2 days after my appointment to have those 5 extractions, I had my regular Suboxone visit, and told my doctor of my dental work..I never used any pain meds offered by the dentist.

Good luck. I had a similar dental procedure done. Got most teeth pulled and got upper implant plus crowned all bottom teeth. It was expensive as shit. It does hurt. The sub should take some of the pain away. I know that I have chronic back pain and have been on sub with a few other non addictive pain meds and my back is 80 to 90% better. I also take Aleve (2) and Ibuprofen (RX strength ) and Tylenol which does seem to help some. Hopefully your sub will take away enough pain for you to handle it. I wish you the best of luck.

I don't think that anyone would fault you for taking the benzos but be careful like Romeo said Benzos+Subs. As far as the Pain Meds, if it were me I would give them to someone else and use them as a pharmacist (you know give me one as needed not to exceed the drs orders.) I know that I would be tempted to take more because I hate pain.

I will be thinking about you Thursday and wishing you the best. Let us know how you are making out.

Later
Dana

Post subject: RE: ibuprofen...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have read many positive experiences about using ibuprofen (generic Advil)-
in doses up to 800 mg at a time- for post-dental surgery pain- along with
whatever else they give you. It is an anti-inflammatory, of course. But, it does
help with the pain- so I have read/heard. Ibuprofen seems to be quite under-
estimated at relieving pain, though...

Just thought I would throw this in here, too. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the antibiotics MUST have started working a LITTLE bit this morning, cuz i do feel alot better today.

and SO FAR Ive just used like u all said, Motrin and tylenol, along with my suboxone.

I take like 400mg of motrin every 6 hours, thats what the doc told me I could, and I can FOR SURE feel when Its getting close to six hours!!

then been taking two tylenol, like for break thru pains I guess you could say. havent had to take it but a few times. Of course I havent had any teeth pulled YET

but the surgeon said the first 24 hours after my procedure, will be the worst, and I should feel better than I do now after that.
Since I still havent heard from the sub doc, I think Im just gonna GO FOR IT,
and not get anything perscribed, unless of course when I get home thursday, I feel like Im dying or something. my guess is that the benzo is just gonna make me sleepy as shit, and by morning (hopefully) then the 24 hours will almost be gone!!!

I just went to the store and loaded up on smoothies and yogurt, applesauce, that kind of stuff. so I dont have to 'leave the house' unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Im kinda stressing the NO SMOKING thing , more than the pain now, that its getting closer......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

K, just checking in................. thank god this swelling went down, thats all I can say. the whole side of my head had been throbbing for FOUR DAYS straight, till this morning. I couldnt even hear outta my ear it hurt so bad.

but like I said, it does feel better today, Id say , im ALMOST in a good mood. Im gonna take before and after pictures, and try to post'm somewhere. If I can borrow someones video camera, and like post some shit on you tube about dental problems and drug use. becuase I know I cant blame it ALL on drugs, but I know its gotta be bout 80%

the dental surgeon also told me this problem is getting more and more serious, in people 20 to my age (30) ........
he says this will be a huge epidemic in no time at all.
people dont realise what 'dry mouth' really means. hell, I just thought it meant stockin up on more mt dew :lol:

so thats it for today. Going to work in the mornin, and working till noon on thursday. gotta be at the office at 130 to take my 'pill' he wants me to be there to 'monitor' me, just to be on the safe side. Im glad though.

I think I can make it thru this without opiates. my mouth has hurt for a long, long time. at least I'll be able to feel it getting better this time :D
and If I DO have to call the doc, you can BET my hubby will be in charge.(of the pills) I know myself ALL TOO WELL
I dont want my brain thinking
" hey, its PARTY TIME,,,, AGIAN!!!!!"
no, no , no,
I dont need that.

oh, my son saw his dental surgeon today, my kid just turned 3........ when his teeth were growing in, I was not concerned with anyone but myself. he was a premie, and he never slept more than 3 hours at one time until WELL after his first birthday.....he was REALLY hard to get off the bottle, and had a sippy cup WAY too long. and of course I used until he was a lil over two yrs old, so I never really 'looked into the future'
today, that bit me in the ass
on march 9th, hes getting put under general anthesia,
8 fillings total,
two caps on his two front teeth, and one root canal in the back........ the total is 8 teeth

the dentist also said we probly needed to give him floride when he was a year old, and still now.
thank god he has insurance.........my deductable is $300
at least he'll get it ALL done at once though. and he wont remember anything.
glad his are gettting taken care of, before he's going thru what I am.
also, I guess genetics plays a part as well. he hit the 'dental ' lottery, didnt he??

have a good nite everybody

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Worked all day today, went ahead and put in 10 and half hours, since I didnt have any hours yet....

Im glad I did too, cuz as nervous as I am now, , , I could only imagine if I hadnt worked how bad it'd be.... :)

Anyways, gonna try to get a good nights sleep,,,,,,,,,,

[marq=right]tomorows the day!!!![/marq]

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good Luck lady, I am going to send positive thoughts to you. I know you will get thru this. Blessings

Post subject: thanks forum family =}
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, I took one of the pills one hour before my apt. By the time my grandma got to my house to get me, I was relaxed, but no where near a stooper...... 8)

Dentist sat me down, told me the 'game plan' ,, hooked me up to a blood pressure machine, and one of those things that monitors your oxygen....... my blood pressuer was still SKY HIGH even after one triazelam. So he gave me one more.
I still stayed awake for the whole thing, but turned my ipod up way high and did MY VERY BEST to stay calm.....

alot of my teeth were broken, and terribly buried....so I could see and feel him 'chip' alot of them away with this little finish hammer, is what I'd call it. So that part sucked.............I just cranked the music up. One thing I will say, is he worked fast, and he was compasionate, which goes miles......

I was in the 'chair' from 215 til 445.......... when I got home I just went and laid down, cuz my mouth was still numb.....when I woke up around 715

HOLY HELL,,,,,, it HURTTTTTTTTTTTTTT .................... ALOT
but i skipped 2 doses of sub yesterday, and didnt take any by that time today, SO I took 24mg right then, along with 800mg of motrin, and 1500 mg of tylenol. within an hour or so......
MUCH MUCH BETTER
and if this is as bad as it will get,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can TOTALLY do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it IS sore, and it DOES suck.....I wont lie.....part of me's kinda like, just get the pain killers, YOU KNOW they'll givem to ya!!!!!!
the other parts like,,,, If you could do this with no pain killers, just motrin and tylenol,, THAT'S some bragging Rights!!!!!
they ended up taking 12 teeth..........
I have 3 of my own, right in the middle.....

Thats about all I have to say for now. I finally DID speak with my doc today. all he really said was if I wanted any opiates to get it from the dentist, but just let his (sub dr) office know......and he started to explain what we all talk about on here all the time, about 24 hour gap between starting sub agian.....
I told him I was just gonna go for it
but Im 'open' to the idea, if I feel like I absolutely cant stand it....................

thanks for thinkin of me everybody!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slept about 5-6 hours, no need for the sleeping pills even......

And yea it was pretty sore when I worke up, but after the motrin and tylenol agian, I feel alot better.......
feeling like its nap time already...........

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So I think last night was probably the worst of the pain.......Now I'll know what to expect when the 14 on the top get chunked out!! :roll:

Like Ive said before, at least Ive got something to look forward to. I cant wait til my new teeth are in, and everythings healed up, Im sure It'll be hard NOT to have a huge smile when Im talking!!!

I feel really good about going thru this process, and doing it without any pain meds other than my suboxone and motrin/tylenol. its been an empowering adventure!!

It does feel better today, than it did on MONDAY....... with that infection running wild mon, it hurt SSSOOOOOO bad. For anyone who says labor pains are the worst pain,,, WELL they havent had a tooth abcess that went to the jawbone. cuz let me tell ya, THAT was by far,,, worse than labor pains, or csection healing.... BY FAR!! :twisted:

Thanks to everyone whos been following and encouraging me, it means the world to me......

and I hope the road to healing keeps going just like it is :D

That's TRUE STRENGTH