It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Interested in Weekly/Monthly Meetings in the EST Time Zone?
Yes, Voice and Text 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Yes, Voice Only 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, Text Only 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Yes, But Other... I left comment with my idea 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I left a comment as to why 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was entertaining the idea of creating a weekly or monthly meeting (to be determined from feedback) for those interested in that type of structured chat. I have heard many comment that this forum is thier AA or NA. I thought we could set up something similar for those looking for something like that. Or at least ask the quest to see if there was interest. Depending on how much interest, I may then need some help in getting something like that set up. Due to the nature of the web and the different time zones, it would probably be most feasible to create such a schedule based on time zones. Of course people from anywhere would be welcome to join if they happen to be online during that time.

What I wanted to see, was if there was a want for something such as this and if it would be worth the time and effort that such an endeavor would inherently turn into.

I am also looking for any suggestion on how such a group should be set-up and "run".

So there it is, please post with any comments or tips, as well as any interest in such a project. We could even do something with a Ventrilo server and have a voice chat if the interest was there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

For me I think starting it with texting is best for me. I don't really have a quiet zone where I could talk without my wife hearing everything. That I'm not ready for. She is trying to understand but this could open up a new can of worms she's not capable of understanding.

Maybe eventually voice could work but to start I would rather keep it quiet. This only my thoughts but I will try and go with the majority.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

After thinking about it it during the night, I think you are right. To start off, I think a simple text chat room would be best. One of the main reasons is exactly what you named. I would also be in a situation to where my wife might hear something she wouldn't quite understand or she would hear it out of context and I would be in a situation of trying to explain something I wasn't ready or prepared to explain. Not that I am trying to hide anything from her and she is trying to be more understanding, but there are some things, that unless you've been there, you may never quite understand. I think a voice chat would be a little off-putting as well to begin with. If we get a group going and we become familiar with each other, we may feel differently and be more willing to take the leap to voice chat.... but I agree that text chat would be the way to start. Of course, depending on the response and demand from this poll we can set-up both if there is a want.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I totally agree We'll have to wait and see how many will get involved and what time is best for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A lot of the time one of the reasons that people become addicts in the first place is because of social anxiety issues. And I would say voice chat=awkward silences all over the place. So I also would vote for texting.

The only problem is there have been several people that have tried to set up chat meetings and it never really works out. But I'm all for it if you can really get it going.

Erica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There are chat programs/ applications such as kakao talk that allow text chat but alao allow.voice notes to be sent, when a voice note is sent it must be clicked on to play, it wouldnt automatically do so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I think that's a good idea.