It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Ive been taking suboxone for roughly 4 weeks now, but the last few days i have experienced trouble breating! I am having to take deep breaths and at one point i felt i was going to pass out... Im only taking about 4mgs of sub under the toungue once a day. although i was taking about 8mgs a day before i experienced the breathing complications, but i cant take that much because it seems that the more suboxone i take the more breathing issues i experience. I do want to mention that when i was in active addiction i would primarly snort my opiates...preferably oxycodone, oxymorphone. i would snort roughly 100mgs of oxycodone or 80mg of oxymorphone. so i dont know if i have damaged my lungs due to the abuse of opiates or if im expereinceing a side effect of suboxone. if anybody has experienced breating problems or no anybody that has then please give me feedback..

Any feedback will be appreciated!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you taking benzos or any other drugs that suppress breathing when mixed with opiates? Trouble breathing definately warrants a call to your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Lilly, I think it warrants a trip to see your doctor. The other thing that crossed my mind is anxiety. Anxiety/panic attacks can manifest themselves as problems breathing - many mistake it for other things such as heart and/or breathing issues. But rather than us guessing what it could be (and I highly doubt it's related to the suboxone, other than what Lilly said), again, I'd recommend you see a doctor.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm 
I wouldn't mess around with that. I would go to the doctor or ER ASAP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks for the thoughts....... i have a scheduled appointment with my sub doctor tommorow so hopefully i will figure something out. The breathing complications have died down so im kinda thinking that my problem could be anxiety related. I am prescribed to .5mg xanax and since ive been on suboxone i barely take them at all. i might take one at night before i go to sleep but i really havent noticed a directed interactions between the sub and the xanax. I also cut down to about 3mgs of sub today and i noticed i had no breathing issues.

My pharmacist said it could be several things, suboxone side effect, anxiety attacks, or respitory problems.

Post subject: BEEN THERE!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Spenc21,
My name is Robert,
Well here is my story.
Had right shoulder surgery back in 08 and got hooked to Hydro 5's for about 6 months. During that 6 months I ended up getting hemorrhoids due to the constipation and had to have another surgery for that! Well My pain meds were upped from hydro 5's to Oxycodone 15's. Loved them! Got off of the pain meds cold turkey then my back went out 5 months after my last pill! Tried everything in the book besides pain meds to fix my back, but nothing worked, had low tolerance for pain, so found a Dr. who specialized in back pain. Come to find out he operated the "Pill Mill" of NM and I was hooked for the net 3 years.
Now I am on suboxone taking around 12mg a day. At first I thought it was too much because I was having symptoms like you were having everyday! One night I was so scared I thought I OD on sub, but Hatmaker assured me that was highly unlikely, but I also had the breathing issues and nervousness! Just like you! And guess what? I still have all those issues. I really dont know where to turn. I have tried to lower my dose, but since I have only been on sub for a short time a lot of posters advised me not to do that, to stay on my reg dose and wing it out. Well to be honest my anxiety has never been as bad as it is now. I went from having one attack every 2 weeks (after stopping pills-oxy's) to having one everyday, and waking up not wanting to tackle the day.
I can't do the simplest task or even drive my family across town without an anxiety attack hitting me! My sub Dr finally called me back after a week of waiting and asked me if I was suicidal! ! had to think of the answer! I am not, but still, I have a good wife, 2 wonderful daughters, a nice house, paid off truck early, a lot of positive things, but I am just not happy where I am in life right now!
Well I owe all this to my love for Pain meds. I put myself in this situation and however long it takes to re-wire my head I will have to take it and do the best I can. The one good thing out of all this is I have had no lust or craving for an oxy during the 3 months I have been on sub. I consider that my best achievement!
So I hope I didn't wierd you out that much. Just wanted to share my story and see what you have done to help w/the anxiety. Please share, because if I miss another 1/2 day of work looking on the internet for breathing techniques it will be too soon!

Peace!
RMAD9812

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

This drugs really shows the side effect. After taking this most of the seen breathing problem. It may also shows the other side effect. That may affect in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

david22 wrote:
This drugs really shows the side effect. After taking this most of the seen breathing problem. It may also shows the other side effect. That may affect in future.

Welcome David! Are you saying that breathing complications are a typical side effect of suboxone treatment? There's no evidence that supports that notion. But perhaps I misunderstood your post. Maybe you could clarify.

Regardless, I did want to welcome you to the forum! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

All opiates suppress breathing; suboxone is an opiate and does suppress breathing but there is a ceiling..

for some reason mixing benzos with suboxone seems to be really bad combo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking .5 mg of Xanax with my suboxone when needed for anxiety and I seem to be doing fine.
Bit it needs to be watched closely by your dr in case you do have another issues involving poor breathing. I was scared at
First about mixing the two and heard many horror stories, but like me, if you take benzos as needed you will be fine. Keep in mind
Everyone responds differently to medications and I am not a dr so before you mix the two check with your dr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am surprised I just found this thread because I also had breathing issues while on suboxone. But it was because suboxone affected my mental health and made my OCD much worst. To the point were when I was on suboxone at times I would have to manually breathe like if you think about breathing you just do it but some days on sub I would have to take deep breaths. And since off sub I have not had to deal with this anymore so far. i am just happy to see that someone else had some type of breathing problems while on suboxone because every DR i told about this called me crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bboy
I know exactly what you are saying! All week long I have lowered my
Dose of sub and felt fine. Anxiety like crazy, but that's normal for me,
But no breathing problems! Today I had a rough day and needed my full dose
And wouldn't you know it, right back to the can't catch my breath, and having to
Move around to keep up with breathing. I can't take my dose w/out
Having to work it off! I usually go for a walk after I take my sub at night, or go to the gym
But tonight I have been playing video games with the kids and I am finding it hard to
Focus and breath! Scares me, but I know as soon as I work it off I will be fine. Kind of feels like a
Mild heart attack at times. Who said sub has a ceiling? The more I take the worse I feel. The less I take
The more anxiety I feel! Where is the happy medium? I hope I don't feel like this all weekend!
Anyone- I am in the middle of taking 12 mg and 8 mg a day of sub. I feel sick on 12mg and 8mg gives me
Anxiety like crazy! What should I do? I am thinking of trying to take 4 mg once a day. I am getting used to the
Anxiety so I am fine with that! Feeling dizzy, unfocused, out of it on 12mg
Just won't cut it for me! I can't function when I feel sick! Anyone have any
Suggestions? Oxy's sound pretty good right now too! Just kidding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rmad, Sorry you are feeling so bad. I think you (and anyone having breathing problems) should really talk to your doctor. Unless they rule it out as anxiety, you could really be putting your health in jeopardy by just taking the subs.

But for now I would take the 8 mgs of suboxone and try some other ways to manage the anxiety. Meditate, talk, journal, work out, or whatever you can do to keep your mind calm.

How long have you been on the subs? Have you mentioned this to your doctor? Maybe you would benefit from a low dose of benzo under a doctor's care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Freedom,
Thank you for the reply. I did speak with my doctor and he refered me to
a psychiatrist to help with the anxiety. I don't know of any other way to control
The anxiety and I am afraid I will just be put on more pills to mask over
The problem. Then have a dependancy on another set of pills to boot.
I have been taking .5 mg of Xanax when needed for the anxiety but my Xanax
that I was taking was prescribed by another Dr. and my sub Dr. told me I couldn't
Take them because they weren't prescribed by him. I have to take random drug screenings
and if it comes up positive for benzodiazepine and he didn't prescribe
them, I could be kicked out of the program. I already failed one
test coming up positive for methamphedimine because of some nasal spray
I was using for hayfever. And I got the 3rd degree for that! Once a user
Always a user is the way I see it in these dr's eyes! And worst of it is that
The Xanax really helps when I get the panic attacks! I have the medication needed
to combat the issue, and I can't use it. Catch 22.
I went with your advise and just took 8 mg of sub all at once
yesterday before I went to bed. Didn't sleep all hat great,
but woke up today fine. Hunk I will move back my dose earlier not to interfere
with my sleep. Didn't have any breathing problems at all!
So something is going right. Going to take it easy today. Clean house
Play some more video games, we got Zumba for he Wii, so that
Should keep me busy. But thanks fir the reply again Freedom.
Keep in touch, oh and I have been on sub for 2 months since the beginning of june.

Rmad9812