It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello to all.. I am so glad to be back on this forum. Between you all that were kind enough to help me with my fears on getting on Suboxone, I am happy to say, I have been off of all narcotics and on Subs for a year and 2 months.. I wanted to let you know, that I had to have a surgery while on Subs, and I almost freaked out beyond, I was so scared of the horror stories of not getting any relief and experience the whole surgery awake, etc... I will tell you this is how I did it, and it worked well..
First of all, I wrote to Dr. Junig. and asked him to help me figure this out. So he sent me two different emails, for me one and the other one so that if the doctors wanted to read on their terms they could. So i went to my surgery prepared with papers.. About five days prior I went down half my dose. The day of surgery I didn't take my dose.. When I went in, I explained to everyone about what I was on, and they acted clueless, so I was glad to have the paperwork on hand.. They took time to read it, and I made sure any nurse or whoever walked by and said they were on the team of surgeons, and they all read it, and told me, they would give me any amount of narcotics I needed, as long as my blood pressure wouldn't bottom out.. So they did just that. It took a lot more I guess cause they were laughing with me afterward.. But the SUb's didn't mess with the meds that were to relax me at all. It just was a multiplied amount of narcotics.. After the surgery, I took what they said to take, pain meds, then I did my own, counting till I was in moderate withdrawl then started Subs again, and I did great.. The only thing is, the pain meds after seemed not to help, when I got back on Subs I realized how much Subs helped with pain, for me that is.. And If I take like Advil about 800mg, it does a lot of good... So no worries, just be prepared, do your homework, be your own advocate, and don't assume anyone knows anything about your situation. And get documents from a doctor that is your sub doc, or the doc on here, cause it seemed to help, instead of saying, 'my doc recommends this or that.." Having the documents straight from the doctor, made it valid and they worked with me. I just don't like when you say your on suboxone most docs i have ran into says, oh your an addict, why you asking for pain meds..etc.... For me, I am on Subs cause i have a heart condition and when I was on Oxy's anytime I would try to get off of them, I would get extremely ill from my heart conditon also, so they put me on subs to make it easier on my body to taper off of subs when I am ready instead of ending up hospitalized with heart and withdrawl issues... SO, my next step is tapering off of the subs.. when I am uncertain.. THanks for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Sounds like overall u had a good surgery experience. I kno u r relieved! The key seems to be 'be prepared' and u certainly were! I am pregnant & most likely facing a c-section & just found out I hav gallstones that MAY require surgery before I deliver. I kno pregnant sub patients are n a class of their own, but surgery is surgery! I was wondering if it'd b ok to share the email info... Since I have no idea what it includes I may b out of line to ask. Im thinking if its from a link maybe u could pass that on? Id like to b prepared to cut down on the anxiety I'm experiencing about it. And, to have something to hand to the docs.. Any info/suggestions would b great!
Congrats on ur successful surgery/pain ordeal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Samswife,
How much sub were you on before going in?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Surgery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am so worried I have been on subs for almost 5 years and I am having surgery towards the end of April I am so scared that I will have no relif from pain meds and that the docs will just assume that I am telling them I am in pain to get more because I am an "Addict". So any suggestions would be great? I have been told that I will get little relief from pain medication and that it will not give me that High feeling because I have been on subs for so long THe surgery that I will be having is 2 procedures and will be extremly painful so I want to be asleep for 2-3 days to let my body heal. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

kzaley,
Check out Dr. Junig's articles on the subject. They're listed on the "Best of TBZ" page. That's all I can tell you now, as I'm in a similar situation, facing major surgery sometime of the next year (liver transplant). I'm going to meet with the transplant team next week, so I'll find out how much hell I'm in for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This thread http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812 has a link in it to the paper that I'm 99% sure is the one that Dr. Junig probably had the OP read and take to the doctor. It's an excellent source for anyone that will need acute pain relief while they are on suboxone maintenance (or methadone maintenance). It's from the NIH - a very reputable source, with 7 pages of sources attached.

I also wanted to add one thing. If a person is on full agonists (regular pain pills) for only a few days (4 days or less, I'd say), then you only have to wait 12+ hours or so and then go straight back on suboxone. NO re-induction is necessary. This is from instructions from my sub doctor and how I went back on sub after a procedure. A re-induction is only necessary when the patient has been back on full agonists for a longer period of time.

Lastly, I'm glad your surgery went well and that Dr. Junig was able to help you through the process. Thanks for sharing it with us.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This scares me too because I have a ulnar compression and soon I don't know how long I can take it I will need it fixed soon because the Doc said soon the nerve won't work so, I have to get it done.:(

I just started 8mg Suboxone 2 films at the moment so should I have the surgery sooner or later? I will read the Doc's article as I have RSD and can't afford anymore pain! In my situation it is helping my pain I must admit because I just broke my toe bad 4 days ago(way to test me) and I didn't go for pain med so I'm happy but scared when it comes to surgery and my super tolerance!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

samswife2000 wrote:
Hello to all.. I am so glad to be back on this forum. Between you all that were kind enough to help me with my fears on getting on Suboxone, I am happy to say, I have been off of all narcotics and on Subs for a year and 2 months.. I wanted to let you know, that I had to have a surgery while on Subs, and I almost freaked out beyond, I was so scared of the horror stories of not getting any relief and experience the whole surgery awake, etc... I will tell you this is how I did it, and it worked well..
First of all, I wrote to Dr. Junig. and asked him to help me figure this out. So he sent me two different emails, for me one and the other one so that if the doctors wanted to read on their terms they could. So i went to my surgery prepared with papers.. About five days prior I went down half my dose. The day of surgery I didn't take my dose.. When I went in, I explained to everyone about what I was on, and they acted clueless, so I was glad to have the paperwork on hand.. They took time to read it, and I made sure any nurse or whoever walked by and said they were on the team of surgeons, and they all read it, and told me, they would give me any amount of narcotics I needed, as long as my blood pressure wouldn't bottom out.. So they did just that. It took a lot more I guess cause they were laughing with me afterward.. But the SUb's didn't mess with the meds that were to relax me at all. It just was a multiplied amount of narcotics.. After the surgery, I took what they said to take, pain meds, then I did my own, counting till I was in moderate withdrawl then started Subs again, and I did great.. The only thing is, the pain meds after seemed not to help, when I got back on Subs I realized how much Subs helped with pain, for me that is.. And If I take like Advil about 800mg, it does a lot of good... So no worries, just be prepared, do your homework, be your own advocate, and don't assume anyone knows anything about your situation. And get documents from a doctor that is your sub doc, or the doc on here, cause it seemed to help, instead of saying, 'my doc recommends this or that.." Having the documents straight from the doctor, made it valid and they worked with me. I just don't like when you say your on suboxone most docs i have ran into says, oh your an addict, why you asking for pain meds..etc.... For me, I am on Subs cause i have a heart condition and when I was on Oxy's anytime I would try to get off of them, I would get extremely ill from my heart conditon also, so they put me on subs to make it easier on my body to taper off of subs when I am ready instead of ending up hospitalized with heart and withdrawl issues... SO, my next step is tapering off of the subs.. when I am uncertain.. THanks for reading.

I am having a bunion taken off my r. foot on may 3rd..just scheduled it today...my foot is so bad that may big toe has separated from my foot..you should see the xray..i am going to have a block on my feet so I won't feel anything and some"I don't care drugs" prob. versed for the procedure. I am taking 16 mg. of sub..I just want to stay on the sub and take presc. strengh advil for the pain..I told the Dr. about sub..he had never heard of it, of course... but he did say he could give me some non nartc. pain meds like ultram or torodol...(I have no idea if those work with bup)..This is just day surg...I think I can just stay on my bup and take the over the counter stuff for pain...I know it is going to hurt when the deadener wears off, but I just don't want any opiates...and don't have time to reduce off bup and so forth..

Does anybody out there think I can do this?? Can you just stay on sub and not go through all the other stuff..it is not a major surg...I think I can tough it out for three days...besides the Dr. could not believe I was not in horrible pain after he say the separated toe...maybe I was in pain...maybe bup does more for pain than i have realized..
any thoughts would be appreciated..

thanks...

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Slipper, I'd ask the doctor what he normally gives patient after that particular procedure for pain. If it's only a couple of days worth (and considering the type of procedure that it is), then I'd agree with you and say that you'll probably be fine just making do with ibuprofen (or other NSAIDS) and maybe even extra sub.

I would suggest you talk to your sub doctor about Ultram before taking any. Some people have become addicted to it and gone into sub treatment because of that addiction. Technically, it's not a scheduled narcotic and the way I understand it not everyone is even effected by it the same way. It has to do with having a certain enzyme. I wish I could give you more information, but just be careful with it. Personally, I've never even felt a high from Ultram. Now, all that said, it IS a medication that can be taken at the same time as sub, as far as I understand. Good luck with it!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.