It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

With my recent tapering I am trying to put regular support in place (besides this forum, thanks guys) because I am going to need help once off suboxone as I do not have any private therapy etc.. I think sometimes we get side tracked with the focus on PAWS when tapering than what we are going to do once we are off the sub. I would love to know what everyone else plans on doing or are doing now. I know this is supposed to be about 12 step but I am going to get to that I just thought I would tell everything I have tried and see what everyone's thoughts are.

I've went to SMART online meetings and I think that is a good option if you do not like the NA, AA religious tone. They are based more on willpower and behavioral therapy to deter relapse. They give you exercises to overcome urges and seem to have caring wonderful people there to help. Unlike NA they are fully supportive of bupe usage. You can go online anytime and chat with other members (about anything, not just recovery) if you need to, and there are usually moderators on to help if you are having a crisis. They do have in person meetings which I would like to try but have none in my area. I am still pretty new to this but it seems like a great alternative if you are more "scientific" than spiritual. I however need something in person I think. So onto NA.

I have been to numerous NA meeetings. Mainly because they are required by my doctor. I resented it at first frankly. My first meeting couldn't have been any worse. I went to a basic text study meeting, (I thought they were all open discussion) needless to say I didn't have a book (I bought one) and felt pretty much lost the whole time, I didn't know about the NA and suboxone thing so I "outed" myself. I literally ran to my car once that was over. LOL. I have been to countless more at different places but I never could quite "get" what the others had. I always felt like an outsider. I didn't like the hand holding/hugging thing either. I found a new meeting the other night. It was in the most unexpected place so I wasn't sure if it was even an NA meeting when I pulled up! There was the most welcoming,warm group of people there that greeted me all the way up the sidewalk. I don't know if I am just at that stage in my recovery or if this is the way it happens but I felt like I had found my place suddenly. I am definitely going back tonight. Stranger still is, I didn't even mind the group hug at the end! I just wanted to tell others that may need additional support that have felt like I have.."keep coming back" as they say and try different places! I left feeling great with a bunch of phone numbers to call if I need to. I just didn't say a word about the suboxone and that's o.k. with me.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm glad you posted this. When I first started on sub and was talking to my doc about the possibility of going to meeting he said to be aware that sometimes people at NA meetings won't really see you as being in recovery b/c of being on the sub. So, that has really deterred me. But, I have talked to other people who say they haven't has that problem. So, I'm still kinda afraid to go to meeting. So, would you suggest that if I do go to an NA meeting, not to mention the Sub?

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I certainly would not disclose that you are on the sub. Here's the way I look at it. I'm not trying to be dishonest, but I certainly don't ask other members what medications they are on and I am under no obligation to disclose mine. As in life the groups are made up of many individuals with many different viewpoints. A lot of the members have been "clean" for many years and used NA and nothing else to assist them. Unfortunately some have very harsh views on suboxone. I just chalk it up to them not having any understanding of how this medication works or what it's true effects are.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I have enjoyed my last few meetings and have met a wonderful group of people. They have activities such as camp outs and family oriented activities which is great as I can never have enough "sober" friends. If it is something you are interested in I recommend it. Some of the larger groups have daycare and meal service! The group I am going to meets 3 nights a week. If the day comes when we want to stop using the suboxone I can tell you from personal experience we better have a plan! I am hoping this is mine.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Cool SS, thanks for replying!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys,

I know this post is a bit old, but I'm new and this really hit home. I was discharged from detox/rehab about 6 weeks ago. In therapy the stressed the importance of 12 step meetings (ie. AA/NA). They actually kept pushing AA because they said some of the meetings in my area were known for pill pushing at the door and in the parking lot. This is where many "dealers" would find their best customers while they are weak. I have personally never attended a NA meeting. I started the first day I was discharged going to AA meetings. I've been making 5-6 a week. The funny thing is that at the two places I'm attending, there are many cross addicts (alcohol/drug). This makes me feel as though I actually fit in. They are a bunch of the best people I have known to support me. The first night I was there I was handed at least 12 phone numbers, lots of hugs and handshakes and LOTS of support. I am a true believer of AA. I have not disclosed my sub use, as I don't want to be judged as taking the easy way out. This is a tool, just as AA is a tool. Anyone can go sit in a meeting, but it won't do any good unless they want it to.

I'm glad this was posted as I have had much to say about it, but didn't know where to start.

Best of luck to all of us!!
Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That's wonderful you've found a group you like. That's what I love about 12 step programs. Take away the talk of God, 12 steps, praying, ect.. it's one addict helping another. It's easy for lots of us to get hung up on the spiritual part of 12 step programs (not trying to start that debate again) but IMO that's what's so great about the program; one addict or drunk helping another. Soon you will be handing your number to someone brand new who seems unsure about the process, and so on, and so on. Please don't be shy about using those numbers, I love getting a call in the middle of a stressful day, it honestly helps me get through the day. I had a few guys I would call everyday, when I was new to the program, just to check in. I always felt I was bothering or interupting thier day. One guy, at the end of the call, would say thanks for calling. I now understand what he meant.

As far as telling others your on sub, do what feels right to you. I don't tell people what medication I take and I would never ask someone else. There are many in the meetings who frown on sub use. I just don't want to spend the hour debating someone who is anti sub. I will however tell someone if I think it can help them. If I meet someone having a hard time staying off opiates I will tell them my experience with it. Again that is your call. I've read posts on here where people feel like they are being dishonest with the other members and it really bothers them to not tell the group about thier sub use. I guess if it was keeping me up at night and I left every meeting feeling as though I was lying I would probably tell the group. I've met some old timers who have strong opinions about any meds, even anti-depressants. I've seen these guys talk bipolar people off thier meds which most of the time ends pretty bad. To be honest I don't want someones opinions make me second guess my sobriety. Sorry for rambling, I could talk for ever about this subject. Good luck and use those phone numbers.