It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went to an urgent care today becuase I thought I had a spider bite....that was getting worse and worse. It started small...then swollen...really red and finally today swollen even more...broke open and now is dark purple/black.

For those of you who know....I don't get in to see my new family doc...who can prescribe subutex now until August 24th....
Any way it started out ok...some paperwork...then I need you to put your palm on this machine...soon as I did that the smiles and pleasantries all disappeared and the whispering began...Why are you here....who is your family doctor...why don't you have a family doctor yet?..Geez can I just be seen please.

I get put in a room....a nurse comes in and says did you use to live in so and so state? Yes......I will be right back....

Nurse comes back....What pharmacy do you go to? CVS....no I need to know the exact one?...I will right back......

A few minutes later I hear what is Sabaxane........?

At this point I am beyond pissed...Nurse comes back and says what meds do you take? I know they know but I omit it anyway because I know I need an antibiotic and I will be fine while on subutex as i have taken antibiotics before and I am already pissed that I am being investigated for that big opiate request that comes with every spider bite......right.......

Well a PA comes in with a smirk on her face and said so you must be in some serious pain huh? I said no not at all...just tender.I am no doctor but I think I need some antibiotics.....She said how would you rate your pain? I said can you please jsut take a look at this and let me know what you think?

She looks at it and says it's definitely not a spider bite it looks like a bacterial infection.....you will need some antibiotics..we will not give you a script we will call it in..ok....if your not better in two days come back for some cultures. How do you think I got this........She said I don't know........So how long have you been taking Sabaxane......?We have computers you know....
I said no you called my pharmacy....I have ears you know...I said do you even know what it is? She said of course I do....I said then why did you pronounce it wrong...it is suboxone. Do you know what it is used for.....she said yes opiate addiction (not dependence). I said how does it work? She said we are done here...........I said I didn't bring it up becuase I didn't want to be treated like a junkie.......but too late for that.....She said the exit is that way......and walked away

Well you can only imagine how I felt......angry, mad, my heart was beating so fast...I was so upset. I guess it doesn't matter I should expect for people to treat you based on your past...I wanted to say so much....but held myself together and left.....It has taken me a couple of hours to calm down in order to do this post....but it is what it is.....My past is my past..I am trying to get better and the last year has been remarkable. The old me would have caused a major scene....If anything maybe the PA will look it up educate herself about the medicine...The place was empty so I guess they have alot of time to conduct investigations on their potential patients...

I know I should have told them when they asked but I jsut didn't want to take the time to explain it.....When I told them I take Prilosec daily..they asked why do I take that ........I said what is it used for??? That's why....

I know ther are many on here that are or have worked in the medical community and will say they need to know all that to make the right decisions for your care........I wasn't there for a heart attack, back injury, car accident or surgery.......I thought I had a spider bite.......I know when I am being talked down to or being judged........I hate I became an addict

Post subject: ignorance
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Re-raise, that is awful that you were treated with such disrespect. I respect you for how you were able to hold yourself together even though you got really angry. I don't blame you. People are ignorant, I know, and people are opinionated too, but there really is no excuse for people in the medical professions treating any patient disrespectfully based on their medical history. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience but at least you walked away with your dignity because YOU behaved and spoke reasonably. Anyway, I hope the infection on your arm clears up. I don't mean to discount your feelings when you say you hate that you became an addict, but...it sort of makes me sad to hear you talk like that....From what I know of you you sound like a really good person.....and...I know it's not really a help, but....well, so, you have had problems with addiction and now that makes you vulnerable to the fact that some people will discriminate in unpleasant ways and this can be especially come up with medical professionals......well, it's THEM not you, obviously you know that addiction is a condition that many many people suffer from....and...I was just mentioning on another thread that people who suffer from mental illnesses also sometimes get treated unfairly...and unkindly....and with misunderstanding...Well, I can't tell you anything you don't already know, but..for me, when something like that happens and someone makes me angry like that....if I manage to handle myself appropriately, I try to be proud of myself for that...because it isnt' always easy to hold it together when someone makes you really mad like that...anyway, I hope you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so sorry you went through that! It is utterly ridiculous and most importantly unacceptable to treat anyone like that. I don't care what our past was like, it's no damn excuse to treat a person like that. You did nothing to merit being treated that way. And I completely understand your reaction, I would have done, felt, and said the same things. I probably would have said worse! What do you think of filing a complaint? It could do two things: 1 - hopefully prevent you or the next person from being treated the same way; and 2 - it might give you a sense of control over the situation. Oh and hell - #3 - maybe someone will get written up for behaving in such a disrespectful and outrageous manner.

I hope you can find a new urgent care facility should you ever need it again. I'm really sorry you were treated so shabbily. Past or no past, you didn't deserve that - I hope you remember that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ugh, I HATE hearing these stories. It just makes me sick that people who are supposed to be there to help you treat you like SHIT! Im so mad for you right now. I don't think i could have bit my tongue like you did. I would have went off. I hate ignorant people. Good for you, for keeping it together! Sorry you had such a sucky experience.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject: That's Urgent SCARE.....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi ReRaise,
WTF how could anybody in the Health Care profession act like that! Never mind an entire group of them... When you say Urgent care I think ER @ a Hospital? Maybe I'm wrong, But it really doesn't matter you shouldn't be treated like that. No One should!! If they saw your record and it said Murder or Rapist you probably wouldn't have got a second look. BUT because you are one of us and has that awful disease called Addiction then you must be a junkie, a thief, and just an all around BAD person!! How dare these people play judge & jury about our lives when most of them have NO F'ing Idea what we are all about. Sorry this just pisses me off. Who made these A-holes the moral police for the entire planet../.. I better stop before I break my keyboard!!! By the way how is the spider bite????? My best to everyone.../.. Take Care.

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:51 pm 
Jim - That's appalling and you so did not deserve that! What galls me the most is that the people in RECOVERY get all the grief while the active addicts stay under the radar. Just recently on this forum we've had people turned away by the dentist, denied pain medication , treated like criminals after giving birth, or "fired" by their doctors all for being on Sub. While active addicts still successfully scam doctors for pain meds every day of the week. I mean, can't we get some credit for living clean and honest lives instead of being the objects of scorn? I guess this is what it must feel like to be "profiled".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks everyone for your responses.......even a day later I still feel like I did something wrong...which I did by not telling them I was on sub...but I was there for what I thought was a spider bite..honestly as I look back they looked at me like I was on a perp walk....look at the addict.

The thing that gets me is when the first thing out of the PA's mouth was you must be in some pain huh? Turns out I have a bacterial infection which got worse....becasue I was so upset I didn't go pick up my antibiotic until today...They wouldn't write me a script they had to call it in(wierd....guess they thought there might be a big market for selling this type of antibiotic). The problem is it is bigger today and busted open and just oozing stuff (red bloody mucuos) and they told me to come back if it isn't better in 24 hrs after I take the antibiotic........NO WAY...I am going back there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:37 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I find that I'm similarly treated by the nurses and office staff of my primary care practice. My "doctor," who is a Nurse Practioner, is much better WHEN I get to deal with her face-to-face. But, I usually have the office staff between us.

After I told the practice about my addiction, I had to fight to get my prescription for an anti-inflammatory switched from a rheumatologist that I hadn't seen in more than a year to my primary care practice (I have 3 herniated discs. I wasn't requesting a narcotic or even muscle relaxants). The nurse miscommunicated my request to the doctor (though I had spoken to her twice about it).

Regardless, I was disgusted that I got any flack for requesting a renewal of a anti-inflammatory script. At one point, I said to the nurse, "It's an anti inflammatory for God's sake! What's the problem?"
"Well, it's for pain," was the nurse's response.
I didn't know whether to laugh or to throw the phone across the room.

I too was reluctant to go back. However, I've had better experiences there with some other people (though I suspect that they don't know the purpose for Suboxone).

No one should be treated as you were treated ReRaise. I hope that you have another local practice that you can visit. Please, don't NOT seek medical treatment for this. It could get very serious.

I know that it sucks, especially if you get to the point where you DO need pain relief. If you stay on top of it, you might be able to keep it from getting that bad.

Post subject: Hang in There......
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

GM ReRaise,
I hope your infection is getting better. I am sure you're following the Dr.s orders in order to get better. If you need additional Medical treatment I would definitely find somewhere, anywhere, Else...... But as others have said you need to take care of it so it doesn't get worse and give you some serious Pain.....I'm sure others will chime in. I just wanted to see how you are doing and wish you a speedy Recovery ..... Take Care

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

i have those bad experiences also when i'm in kansas. like they don't care about you.

Post subject: reraise-how are you?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey Jim,

I was just wondering how you are feeling. I don't think I have seen any posts from you on the forum since you last posted on this thread.

I was a little concerned about you and your infection. I really hope that your antibiotic has kicked in and that you are feeling better by now. If not, please get back to a doctor somewhere and get it checked out again. I do NOT want to scare you, but a really good friend of mine had a similar experience as yours, and thought she had a spider bite, but it turned out to be a lot wose than that. I won't mention (at least not yet) what was really wrong with her,because as I already mentioned I do not want to scare you. Just please get back to a doctor if the antbiotics have not cleared it up yet.

I'm really sorry to hear how you were treated at the Urgent Care Clinic. I certainly do not understand why anyone would treat you like that as I truly believe that with the millions of people suffering from the affects of addiction, that it should be a little bit better understood by now. All the horror stories I have read on this forum lately about how badly people with addiction are treated suggest otherwise though. They should at least get that people on Suboxone are trying to recover and not in active addiction.

So, please check in when you can and let us know how you are doing.

Take care,
Ginger

Post subject: take care
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

RR--I hope the infection is getting better not worse by now....do let us know....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm also thinking of you. you've really had a rough go of it lately. I hope you are ok.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the response.......to everyone

It is actually worse......this is in a really bad place (My groin-sorry)and after 3 days of anitbiotics it is not better...it seems to be eating my skin and it is a bloody mucous mess (sorry-I know gross). This morning I wa so naushes.sp..I threw up...I think tomorrow I should go to ER....But it will be 150.00 and I have my first sub doc appt...on Tues at 175.00.It is painful and deep but I don't feel I need any pain meds....Still don't feel I got a good explanation from the Urgent Care...just a bacterial infection but it is not better...not sure what it is.......

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

JIM! Get to the ER! don't mess with that shit! Seriously! you can always have the ER bill you for your co pay. I'm pretty sure it's the law they have to treat you even if you can't afford it. You have to get it checked. Good luck. I hope you feel better. Let us know what happens at the ER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with RTLmom - go to the ER. My friend had a similar situation to what you're describing and it turned out to be MRSA.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: go to the ER NOW!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Jim,

I'm so sorry to hear that the antbiotics have not cured this up. PLEASE do not wait, even until tomorrow. Go to the hospital tonight if you can. I know I mentioned earlier about a friend of mine that also thought she had a spider bite, but antibiotics did nothing and hers also turned in to a big mucous mess. Jim, really this is nothing to mess with. I really hesitate to tell you this because the lst thing I want to do is freak you out, I just really want to stress the importance of getting this dealt with NOW. The antibiotics should have worked by now.

Jim, UGH!! I hate this, but my friend ended up with....hmm I do not know the real medical term for it but it's known as the Flesh Eating Disease, and it spreads really fast. I really hope that it is not the same thing, but don't take any chances, please go to the ER tonight.

Sorry if I scared you unnecessarily.

Take care of yourself!!!

Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:06 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I hope you are at the ER as we speak and getting treated or home from the ER, hopefully you didn't wait and went last night....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jim: In reading about all of this, I too immediately thought of the two things that others brought up - namely MRSA or a flesh eating bacteria. MRSA stands for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Unfortunately, MRSA has been on the rise in recent years. It really is nothing to screw around with as it, as the name implies, is resistant to typical antibiotics, which would explain why the antibiotics you got are not working. You did get the antibiotics didn't you?

I'm not saying that you have to go to an ER, but you do need to be seen by someone and that someone needs to CULTURE your infection for you. Many urgent cares can do this - although obviously don't go back to the one you were at. You may also need what is called a I and D, which involves a small incision to open up the wound and drain it. Infections can be much worse than many people ever dream that they can be. I hate to tell you this but you might have to get admitted in order to get IV antibiotics.

I am not at all a panic button type person. In fact I never recommend someone go into the doctor unless I think they really need it. GO SEE THE DOCTOR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I, too, wanted to express my support and my concern. I hope you're doing well and I hope we hear from you soon! Please take good care of yourself.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.