It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I wanted to post my experience for those of you who may currently be pregnant and taking suboxone or subutex. My first daughter was born in march 2011. I was taking suboxone when I found out I was pregnant, and my dr at that time was very supportive, and immediately switched me to subutex as it is safer because it doesn't contain naxloxen. I was advised not to change my dosage during pregnancy, and remained on 3mg the whole 9 months. I was also told not to stop the medication or try to taper the dose on my own as it could cause miscarriage along with other complications. I was honest and open with my ob throughout the entire pregnancy, and made sure they were aware of the subutex and my substance abuse history. I was referred to a hospital with a nicu, and was told to expect them to keep the baby for 5-7 days to watch her for signs of nas. I did a lot of research in the months leading up to my delivery, and it seemed like there was no way to tell if my baby would suffer from withdrawals as every woman/baby is different. I read stories about women who were on doses lower than mine, whose babies showed signs of nas, and then other stories from women on doses much larger than mine whose babies showed no symptoms. I was scared to death that my baby would suffer from nas and I would be judged and ruled out as a terrible mother. My daughter was born in march 2011. I had a normal vaginal delivery with an epidural. She was taken to the nicu, and they began to watch her for signs and symptoms of nas using the finnigan scaling system. She did great, and only showed very mild symptoms such as sneezing and yawning. I was able to room in with her the last 3 nights, and we both left on the fifth day. She was a very easy baby and is now a beautiful, smart 1 1/2 year old. I found out I was pregnant with my second daughter in December 2011. My dosage hadn't changed at all but I was no longer with my previous prescribing dr. Due to a relocation. When I informed my new dr. Of the pregnancy I expected them to switch me to subutex like my previous dr. Had. Instead he told me he could no longer see me due to the pregnancy and left me with only a few days worth of medicine to find another dr who would accept me at 2 months pregnant. In my area there are very few drs who are lisenced to prescribe buphremorphine, and those who are lisenced have a certain amount of patients they are allowed to have at any given time, so many of these programs were full. I spent 3 days calling every dr in the area until I found one who would treat me throughout the pregnancy. The only downfall was that she didn't accept my insurance, and I ended up paying 125 per appt. she was completely baffled at the way in which my previous dr reacted to my pregnancy as it is known that you should not stop the medication while pregnant. This is a great example of how many drs. Are uneducated when it comes to suboxone and pregnancy. I delivered my second daughter on August 23 rd 2012, and went into the situation optimistic after my experience with my first daughter. I delivered at the same hospital with the expedition that she would stay in the nicu for 5-7 days to be monitored and then we would go home. Unfortunately this did not happen, and on the 5 th day I had to leave without her. She began showing signs of nas on day three and from there her scores went from 3-4 to 8-12. By the time we got home from the hospital, the dr. Was calling to tell us they were going to start medication to taper her. This was my absolute worse fear, because I knew in the back of my mind that once they begin the taper, it could be weeks before she comes home. Every state is different and has different rules and regs when it comes to neonatal tapering. Some states allow the dr to treat the baby with methadone, and in some cases even allows the parent to finish the taper at home. Unfortunately in my state they are only allowed to use morphine to taper, and the baby must remain in the hospital until the taper is fully completed. We started the taper on Monday August 27th at .18 mg. this is the lowest dose at which they will begin the taper. I was told that many times they will have to start the babies at doses much higher than this. They typically will drop to dose 10% every day or very other day depending on how well the baby does and her scores. It is now day 7 on the taper and we are at .08mg she has one more drop to .05 and then they will stop the medication from there. We are hoping she will be home before the end of the week possibly Friday. That will make a total of 2 weeks in the hospital. This has been extremely difficult going back and forth to and from the hospital, and every time knowing that I am leaving my baby girl behind. Waiting to take her home and becoming aggravated knowing that we are at the mercy of the drs. At this point and there is nothing we can do to get her home any sooner. If anyone else has had their own experience being on a low dose and still having a baby needing treatment for nas, specifically a morphine taper, please message me with your experience. I hope that my story has shed a little bit of light for those of you who are currently pregnant and wondering what to expect. There is really no way to tell if your baby will show symptoms of nas. I have been told by the drs and nurses in the nicu where my baby is staying, that they see this happen all the time. They aren't able to offer me any explanations as to why my first daughter was fine and my second had to be treated other than that every baby is different and every pregnancy is different and they have no way of telling how much of the medication is passed to the baby in utero. If anyone is has any questions about my experiences feel free to ask me. I would be happy to help. I know how afraid I was thought both pregnancies, and I wish I had found this forum sooner. I will update on my daughter when she is finally home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 am 

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so sorry that your baby had to stay in the hospital! I'm sure that is so draining. The only potential upside is that when she comes home she will already be on a good sleeping schedule?

I hope she gets to come home to you soon!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

im so sorry that you have to go through that, i know how hard it has to be to leave the hospital with out ur LO.. i didnt have to go home with out my son, but it was hard enough not having him in my room and in the special nursery during our hospital stay :( it is really true tho every baby and pregnancy is different, i think ive read from other people too that its the same how adults on the same dose can also experience very different withdraw symptoms... ive noticed that even i have different withdraw symptoms sometimes, ive quit with no problem at all and other times it was super hard, i think the same goes for the babies... well not exactly the same but u know what i mean.. i hope u are able to find someone that can relate completely to help this time pass.. and i really hope the drs and nurses are being super respectful to you also :) from ur post it sounds like they are tho... sending you hugs i know it seems forever until your LO is home, but it will be in no time and in a few more weeks it will feel like this never happened

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Roselayne, I am so so so sorry that you are separated from your daughter. I know first hand just how terrible that feels. I am happy however, to hear that she is doing better every day and that she will be coming home soon. I will keep you both in my prayers at night. Please let us know when you do get to bring her home. I know that that will be a joyous day indeed.

Best of Luck to you and your family.