It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hey Everyone,

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has lent me some input here on this forum, especially those of you who have posted over the past several years. The amount knowledge that I have gained from this resource is unquantifiable! At any rate, this is my experience relative to switching from hardcore IV drug use, to Methadone, and finally to Suboxone today! Here is how my process of switching from Methadone to Suboxone unfolded over the past several days.

On Thursday morning I was prescribed suboxone. My psychiatrist told to me take my last methadone dose on Friday morning, which I did. Her instructions were to wait until Sunday evening or Monday morning (tomorrow morning) and then take 4mg of suboxone to start. Then take 4mg + 4mg on my second day. Anyways, the point is that this forum allowed me to take my first suboxone dose at the right time, instead of just following some arbitrary timeline, and also taking the correct amount of medication. Having never heard of the COWS worksheet before, I put it to great use, answering everything as honestly as possible. For some people this assessment will let them know that they are going to need a little more time than the doc said, while for others it will tell them that their docs timeline was a bit stretched. For me, it allowed me to assess my withdrawals and take my first dose of suboxone earlier than the doc had said. I have to be honest, I was a little freaked out and hesitant on whether or not I should trust advice from a forum.... I am so glad that I trusted you guys/girls here on the forum, as you have saved me about 6 hours of major discomfort (and we all know how long 6 hours can be!!!!) Like I said, information that allows me to save 6 hours of withdrawal is completely priceless! I cannot thank you all enough!

::FOR ANYONE WHO IS MAKING THE SWITCH::
(these are my personal data relative to my switching from methadone to suboxone)

Sex (optional):
Male
Age (optional): 27
Original drug of choice: heroin, oxycontin, roxicet (all intravenous)
Original stable dose of Methadone: 110mg (liquid, not tablet)
Methadone Taper (Part 1): 5mg per 2 weeks until I reached 20mg
Methadone Taper (Part 2): 2mg per 1 week until I reached 6mg
Length of time that I was stable (at 6mg) prior to switching: 8 days
Last Methadone dose taken: 6mg on Friday Aug 27 @ 06:30 a.m. EST
First Suboxone taken: 2mg (initial dose) on Sunday Aug 29 @ 05:00 p.m. EST
Total time free of any meds: 58.5 hours = 2 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes
Amount of Suboxone required for stabilization: 10mg
COWS Score at time of first Suboxone: 24 (give or take, depending on how anxious I was)

I hope that my personal experience with the switch can be useful to some of you that are still enduring Methadone Maintenance Therapy. I was looking for a breakdown of people's individual experiences and their data (similar to how I broke down my data above) prior to my switch but was unable to find such a thing. Maybe this thread will catch on so others can refer to our first hand experiences and data, in order to make more informed decisions about this scary/exciting/hopeful/lengthy/altogether very gratifying process of switching medications. If anybody here is able to remember their personal data, they should definitely make a list of it in the same format as I have done above and add it to this thread!!

Thanks again,
Michael RW
[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello michael and welcome. I'm happy to hear that this forum and its posts were able to help and guide you successfully. It's always good to hear a success story - especially about the transition from methadone to sub. Good luck with your treatment and again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.