It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am 30 years old and since the age of 26 I have struggled with opiate addiction. So here is a little back story on my personal situation. Over the past year I had got addicted to 30mg oxys that had been prescribed to me for back pain. I had a girlfriend who had her own prescribed supply of oxys so between the two of us we had enough to get addicted rather quick. I honestly didn't think twice about taking the medication because my doctor prescribed it to me. It wasn't until I left to visit a parent and forgot my pain medication that I realized what kind of trouble I was in. Within 24 hours I thought I had the flu. Within 32 hours I was in the ER and after they asked what medications I was on it took them all of a minute to figure out I was going through withdraws. The doctor at the ER wrote me a script to last me until I got back home and withing 20min of taking the medication I was perfectly fine. It was as if I wasn't even sick at all. Well, this scared me. I was debilitated. I wanted off of the opiates and I was consumed with the goal of getting off. However, the withdraws scared me unlike anything I have ever experienced.

I first went to the doctor after researching methods of getting past opiate addiction. I quickly ruled out Methadone due to the countless threads of how difficult it is to get off of that. Suboxone though seemed like the perfect cure to my problem. Me and my girlfriend got 15 8mg pills each from our doctor and took time off work and prepared for the day we were going to quit. We knew we were to wait as long as possible before taking the Suboxone so I was able to wait about 28 hours, she was able to wait about 30 hours. It wasn't long enough. Within 15min of taking Suboxone I went into SEVERE withdraws and my girlfriend quickly followed. After about 8 hours of complete hell, we finally were able to talk and try to figure out what to do. We were absolutely miserable and we were scared of taking Suboxone again because of what it did the night before. We went to the doctors and told him what happened and he prescribed some Xanax, Clonidine and some other medications to help with the side effects. We made it 6 days and then we couldn't take it anymore and split an Oxy and felt better immediately. (I want to mention I cleared the house of everything, but she had hidden a few pills and syringes just in case she couldn't handle it. To be honest, I might have got clean if it hadn't been right in front of me, but I won't ever really know)

So the next thing we started doing was researching other forms of treatment. We switched from Oxys to Heroin because we read that it stayed in your system for the least amount of time. We were taking about 2mg each a day of heroin and selling some of out scripts to pay for the heroin. The oxys sold for $30 each and the heroin was very cheap and between the two of us we had over 240 30mg oxys a week prescribed. I know this is a terrible decision but at the time we thought it was the one to make. So moving on, we were taking the heroin for another 4 months or so until I had saved enough money to go to a treatment facility for "rapid detox" in Detroit. It cost me almost $20,000 for the both of us. We were told essentially that we would be put under, wake up groggy and somewhat uncomfortable, but they would watch us 24 hours a day for 5 days after the procedure and combat the discomfort with other medications.

The rapid detox was the most miserable experience of my life. My girlfriend at the time would agree. I woke up from the anesthesia not knowing what was going on. I was moved out of the hospital room into a hotel we had booked. I couldn't even walk after waking up. It is all a blur. I remember the ride to the hotel somewhat, I was in a wheel chair. My girlfriend was able to walk somehow. We both went strait for the bed and tossed and turned for the next 4 hours. It was like a bad acid trip. It felt like weeks but finally we realized that we were hallucinating and started to calm down. Once we had our heads strait we were miserable. Restless legs, vomiting, diarrhea, sleeplessness, twitching, hot and cold, uncomfortable in our own bodies. Everyday they would give us some type of oral Narco which was used in the initial procedure however during the procedure under anesthesia it was given to us via IV.

So for 5 days we couldn't sleep. We were just as sick as when we tried the Suboxone. After the 5 days were up we managed to get driven to the airport, get wheeled to the plane and get picked up upon landing and go strait home. For 3 weeks I couldn't even muster up the strength or willpower to go outside. Sleep was difficult and we were both severely depressed. However, since we were taking nalaxone daily we couldn't relapse into taking opiates again. So in a sense the rapid detox worked, we got clean but it was a good 3 months before we felt like ourselves. In all honesty, it was the biggest waste of money and time though. I was paying for an easy fix, to bypass the withdraws and get back to work as soon as possible. I felt like I was completely ripped off.

So me and my girlfriend eventually broke up and I quit taking the naloxone and about a year and a 1/2 later I relapsed again. Stupid I know, but it happened. This time I was determined not to allow it to consume my life so I went to a new doctor who prescribed Suboxone. Since I was on a smaller dose of Heroin and hadn't been taking it for very long, 24 hours did the trick and I took 8mg of suboxone and felt immediately better. I tapered off Suboxone within 3 months and was good to go until I relapsed yet again.

This 2nd relapse was different from the first two incidents. I had a monthly script of Suboxone but I took Heroin for about 2 weeks at a time, then switched to Suboxone for 2 weeks. I used to dissolve the pills or strips in water and inject them. I would prep my shower, which has a steamer which I found helped a lot, sit on the toilet naked, inject the Suboxone and wait the 15 seconds for all hell to break loose. I usually had diarrhea immediately. As soon as that passed I would curl up in my shower for about an hour or so while I put another 8mg strip into my mouth to disolve. I put myself into precipitated withdraws I suppose and waited it out. Time really had no meaning. 1 hour, 4 hours, it was so miserable I couldn't tell the difference. I injected the Suboxone so it would hit fast thinking it meant it would be over quicker. After an hour or so I would all of a sudden just feel a lot better. I usually would then take a Xanax and sleep for a few hours and my transition was over. I was good to go and just took 4mg a day of Suboxone. I don't recommend anyone repeating ANYTHING mentioned so far in this post.

So that was my routine. I would go back and for between Suboxone and Heroin for about 3 - 4 months like this. I grew tired of this trend, especially the waiting period needed since my last Heroin injection and my Suboxone. I decided I needed to quit and I was up late one night reading forums and I saw a post about Suboxone being gradually introduced into your system, which was a new concept for me as I simply tanked myself with it. So I started to experiment. I found that I could take an 8mg strip and cut it into 8 pieces, 2 of those pieces I would also cut them in half. So I would have 4 .5mg squares and 6 1mg squares. I took a shot of Heroin and then waited about an hour or two and began taking the Suboxone in very small quantities. I took one .5mg square and set my alarm on my clock for 45min. After I took all the .5mg squares I had 6 1mg squares remaining. I started to take those. After 6mg I stopped and decided to wait and see how long it took for me to start feeling something. To my surprise I fell asleep and woke up in the morning and felt fine. I was able to switch from Heroin to Suboxone without waiting the 24+ hours of hell and anxiety without feeling the slightest amount of discomfort. I immediately contacted my ex girlfriend who was still battling with the addiction herself and told her to try it. She did it and had the same results. Her brother has been an addict for 6 years now and hes in really bad shape. He begs and steals and is just a huge burden on his family. I was curious if someone who had been on Heroin for a prolonged period of time would get the same results and sure enough it worked for him as well.

Now I am not a doctor by any means and I am certainly not giving any advice but rather telling my story of how I was able to switch from opiates to Suboxone. I have been on Suboxone for nearly a year now. I always thing back to the first time I tried Suboxone and the precipitated withdraws scared me off so bad it took me months to get clean the miserable way, not to mention burning through $20,000 needlessly. If I had known how to initially take the Suboxone I do believe that this story would have ended with the first attempt.

I am currently taking 1mg a day and every 3-4 days I take 1.5mg but I really think its mental. I am working on a tapering plan and hope to be off Suboxone in the next 4 months. I saw some videos on YouTube and I really liked what the doctor was saying in his videos and the fact that he was addicted to opiates as well really resonated with me so I signed up to this forum and decided to post my experience for the first time ever.

I have an addictive personality and Suboxone to me is a safety net for me because as long as its in my system I know opiate won't really work without risking an OD. Suboxone doesn't get me high in the least bit and I get through my day just like I used to with no side effects that I notice anyway. Either way, I just wanted to share my story and thank the doctor that created this site and all the users who have contributed to this community. I find it extremely refreshing to read your stories and it helps me knowing I am not alone and there is always hope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your story will confuse the heck out of people who have never been addicted to opioids. I have been addicted, and even I am surprised by the things you've done and gone through-- especially the period when you were going back and forth from heroin to buprenorphine.

I see the things you describe with rapid detox. The rate-limiting issue is the repair of receptors, and that takes a month or two, whether or not a person takes IV antagonists. I am surprised that such a scam has survived this long, and that people still pay thousands of dollars for essentially nothing.

I can't help but advise you to consider staying on buprenorphine. My patients stay on it for 3-5 years, and some even longer. The ones who stop after a year usually relapse, even after significant counseling. A number of former patients died during relapse, a year or two after stopping Suboxone.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ThatGuy,

Well look at that, your very first post got a response from the Dr. who's video's led you here. That doesn't happen too often! :D I agree with Dr. J, you have definitely been through the ringer and some of the things you said don't make sense in the way we understand suboxone to work. But, I have seen over and over again how different each persons experiences can be. I'm just glad you found a way to make the transition work for you, and I'm glad you were able to do it before you suffered serious health consequences from your bouncing back and forth!

Welcome aboard, if you stick around I'm sure you will be able to help many others who need encouragement from someone who has been in their shoes.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:35 pm 

Hey Guy :)

Welcome!! And can I say that u have a way of explaining ur journey that took me right there with u. I truly enjoyed reading it. I haven't went through some of the things u have on ur journey before suboxone, but I had my fair share of trying almost everything. Rehabs, detox after detox after detox, cold turkey, NA, and nothing gave me long term recovery. When I made my appointment for sub I was absolutely defeated in this fight of addiction. I had given up with the dream of anything helping me. I didn't have faith that sub would help either. It was honestly my last effort of trying to fight the fight. I remember telling my family, "I don't think this will work and if not I'm going to be in this misery forever". I was so shocked and happy when I was two weeks in and it hit me that this is actually my life saver! 3 yrs later I feel the exact same way as I did that day.

I love reading others stories and know it's not just me that has gotten these results. I'm very happy u shared ur story with us. Welcome!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Interesting! And easing my anxiety actually. I have a script for 5.6mg-1.4mg tablets? No clue what this means. Is it 1.4 mg or 5.7 per dose? I will go drop off for pick up in an hour. Anyway - I have tabs not strip because insurance wouldn't cover other one. Could I possibly take a tiny piece of the sub in 12 hours and maybe just maybe not precipitate withdrawals? I want to take the sub ASAP or I'm afraid I will go get more oxy. And never stop this year long daily addiction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:47 pm 

You most likely have zubsolv tabs. The dose you are mentioning is equivalent with an 8 mg suboxone film. Zubsolv is supposed to have superior absorption rates, which is why you only need 5.6 mg instead of 8 mg. The first number, 5.6, is the amount of buprenorphine in the medication. The second number, 1.4, is the amount of naloxone in the medication. Suboxone also has both buprenorphine and naloxone. Sub is listed as being 8mg/2mg. Does this make more sense now?

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes very much so. Thank you. Just picked it up! Eep. So now I need to wait at least 12 hours right? I took what I hope to be my last dose of oxy a half hour ago.