It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Whenever I take my suboxone my mouth begins to water. I know they say you're not supposed to swallow but it's impossible and I don't want to spit it out since I don't want to waste it...(rofl, this is so dirty.) Anyways, I'll try to spit out as much saliva before hand and right after I put the dose under my tongue I just start watering. Am I wasting anything by swallowing? The Suboxone can still be absorbed in the stomach/Intestinal wall, correct? I see my doctor tomorrow and I appears I misdosed since I am usually on 16 MG but today I only had 8 MG left. I'm a little irritated but I suppose it's more mental than anything. To counter act the slobbering today I ended up crushing my pill today and put it under my tongue so it dissolves faster. It did dissolve faster but I slobbered even more so. Any idea why this is happening? It seems when I take my dose that is on my mind so it happens even more so! Blahhh!!! Some input would be mucho appreciated! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My mouth waters like crazy when I do it too. I always end up having to swish with it just to make sure I get it all. BUT...Dr. Junig said it doesn't have to be under the tongue which is what makes me the worst. So if I take mine first thing when I get up...before smoking or anything..my mouth is pretty dry. Then I put it on top of my tongue and pretty much rub it against the roof of my mouth and on the sides and anywhere EXCEPT under the tongue. I still get watery but not as bad and it takes longer for it to get watery that way. It seems to work good enough and then I swallow whatever is left. I am not spitting out anything. Just in case you know :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks...

Still, does anyone know if you're "losing your medication" if you swallow some of it...I mean, when I take my dose my mouth is literally just like a faucet. Today, I spit as much as I could before hand, even put a paper towel on my tongue and then I toke my dose and it immediately started to water. I take 16 MG all at once so I just put two halves on each side. Is my medication not being absorbed? is there anything else I can do to ensure all of it adsorbs...What if I crush the pill into power then put it under my tongue so it will dissolve much quicker and hopefully before my mouth starts watering.

Help/comments would be appreciated...I mean, I know the medication is working but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm not getting all of my medicine.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you very well may be losing medication if you swallow it. It would depend on how quickly after taking it you swallow. But in general, very little to no absorption is going to take place once it enters your esophagus and stomach.

There are multiple posts on this board about the best practices for taking Suboxone. Just do a simple search. To get you started, I pulled up what Dr. J had to say on the topic a while back. Here it is:

Three things affect absorption: concentration (as that drives diffusion), surface area, and time. So the best absorption requires a very small amount of saliva, repeated painting of the solution over all mucous membranes (all surfaces in your mouth-- including cheeks, roof of mouth, tongue (both sides), gums, etc, and finally, you want to keep it in your mouth for a good 10-15 minutes. While in solid form, the medication is of NO use to you; it cannot be absorbed until it is in solution, so I DO recommend crushing and dissolving the medication immediately, in a very small amount of saliva. Paint it all over for 15 minutes, then spit or swallow-- either one is fine. People who are sensitive to naloxone-- those who get headaches for an hour after dosing-- sometimes do better to spit out the naloxone, rather than swallowing it.

Again, beyond that, do a search here on the site and you'll get even some more help and suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I did, I read the whole "How do you take your Suboxone thread." but I couldn't find that one. I don't swallow right away but after a minute or so of sitting there my mouth begins to salivate....I couldn't find anything about crushing the pills and putting them under your tongue so they dissolve almost instantly....So, put it under my tongue and spread it all over my mouth...Maybe I should take my dose when I first get up since when I do my mouth is extremely dry...So, I take the now softened pills from under my tongue and spread them all over my mouth creating a bigger surface area to adsorb from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

hey guy, your over thinking it. just put the thing in your mouth and let it dissolve. ive done it every which way and it makes no difference. your not gonna get high with better absorption. if you feel ok dont worry about how it dissolves. you gonna wind up with anxiety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm not trying to get high, believe me I just want to make sure I get the maximum absorption, thats it. I was just seeing if anyone could relate with th excess saliva. I've been on Suboxone since August, I haven't gotten "high" off of Suboxone since August.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Mayun -

I'm sittin' here with a mouth full of saliva. I understand what you are saying.

Sorry you couldn't find info on absorption. First, it's important to know the time you expose suboxone to your mucosal membranes is the time you get absorption. So, if you put the pill in your mouth for 2 minutes, then swallow - you get 2 minutes (plus whatever film is left) to absorb.

If you can find your stride with this - like i did - a first thing AM dry mouth - put the pill somewhere it doesn't hit my taste buds. In my case, under the tongue is better, as I salivate when it hits the bitter/sour places on my taste buds. Then after a while (say 10 - 15 mins) - yes I have saliva. I hold it in my mouth. Almost looks silly as I swish around the saliva. I have only a small bit of the pill left at that time. I rub that around on my gums, under my lips, everywhere (per the Doc's absorption post). I salivate to the border of not being able to hold it all in my mouth, then my body stops. I keep that in there for a elapsed time (from pill leaving bottle to spit of ~45mins).

I want max absorption too. I know when it goes to my gut, I get no absorption, and only potential side effects (for me it was headache).

For a while, I broke the pill in two - and put it in my upper cheek (between the cheek and gum so to speak :) ... They also slowly sat there for 10 mins or so - then I did the same as above - took the softened pill - rubbed it around the rest of the mouth - and held/swished.

I hope this helps some. It is well understood that once it's in the stomach (GI tract) - buprenorphine (suboxone's main ingredient) is not absorbed. Your goal is to figure out how your body will let you keep the medication/saliva exposed to your mouth/mucous membranes as long as reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks....

I take 16 Mg so this morning I took the first pill, bit it then moved it all over my mouth, then did it was the second half, when with the second pill i just put it under my tongue, then painted my mouth and then swished around my spit as long as possible. I spit out a little bit at first and my spit was like solid orange, then i did it a few minutes later and I noticed it was almost clear....I still quite haven't gotten the painting maneuver down all the way. I've done some research online and have received A LOT of different answers.

http://www.drugs.com/answers/how-do-i-m ... 51155.html

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=25534

(This is from the second post...)

So the purpose of this thread is as the title states, to get as much as possible out of this expensive drug (aside from banging it). For my case its recreational, but for others it can be cost effective. If you have any advice, tips, please do add.

First there is the obvious inhibitors: White grapefruit juice, cimetidine, tonic water consumption before taking your suboxone dosage.

Second the Bioavailabilities:
intranasal: 50%
intrarectal: 54%
sublingual: ~30%
sublingual in Ethanol solution: 50-70%

As you can see crushing your dose and mixing it in an ethanol solution shoots the BA through the roof. The higher the % alcohol the better (I myself use vodka, all I got). Everclear would be perfect. A warning in advance: It is going to burn big time, way worse then listerine.

My example schedule is:
1. Take all the inhibitors an hour before my dose with 50mg benadryl.
2. Crush up my amount and add a few drops of vodka then mix the solution.
3. Swish Listerine all throughout my mouth for 2 minutes.
4. Pour Buprenorphine + Alcohol solution under my tongue and let it absorb for 15 or so minutes (longer is better).

Now a more recreational route involves speeding the metabolism up. Sounds crazy, but Norbuprenophine is a pure agonist which delivers that godly true opiate feel.

-The way to achieve this is to take St john's wort 600mg before dosage

Now if anyone here as anything MORE to add (more towards the potentiating route not St john route) please do share, thanks.

The guy also says this:
Oh sorry, I do a 1/6th of 8mg. It is intensified big time by the alcohol and etc.

Post subject: How I take it
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My little trick that I came up with is that I wake up an hour early before I have to be up and put it under my tounge and then go back to sleep for an hour. My mouth does not seem to salivate while I am sleeping. This has helped me tremendously because my mouth literally fills up with spit when I have it under my tounge when I am awake.