It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hi everyone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font][font=Arial] [/font]Hi everyone. I am so glad I found this site. I have been on suboxone for about 6 years now, and I thought I knew all there was to know about it, but my eyes have been opened many times as I read Dr. J's blog entries. I am an RN although I have not worked as one since I lost my job (and license) in disgrace at the height of my addiction to morphine. Although I never kept a patient from receiving their necessary pain medication, I certainly signed out a lot of doses that the patient did not request, which led to my downfall. I struggled for several years after losing my license, resorting to heroin use until I was able to get on Suboxone. Unfortunately, my chronic pain issues have not resolved and I continue to search for something that will make me as comfortable as the MSContin once did. My suboxone takes the edge off, but nothing else helps much. I would love to return to nursing, at least part time, but I can't tolerate the level of activity I once used to as a surgical nurse. Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. There are several other healthcare providers that "hang out" on this forum from time to time as well. We have several RNs, a few MAs, or NAs I have even seen a few MDs from time to time (beyond Dr. J who started this site). I am actually a Paramedic - or I guess now I have to say I was a Paramedic as I let my license expire 21 days ago. I was first licensed in 1987 and actually continued to provide patient care up until I had a car accident while responding to a 911 call about eight months ago. While in the hospital, my addiction was "discovered" and the rest is history - or actually history that is still in the making. I was the director of the fire department/ambulance service for many years and also was involved on a state level. I too obtained narcotics illegally and in fact am facing legal consequences because of that. Thankfully, in part due to Suboxone, I have not abused or taken any narcotics (other than Suboxone). Unlike my abuse where my dose continued to increase, I have been able to cut my Suboxone dose in half since I started taking it.

Anyhow, while I certainly can identify with many others here on this board, it seems like I can relate to other healthcare providers even more significantly. I hope you'll share more of your story with all of us and participate in the discussions that go on here. There is also a meeting on Thursday afternoons and Monday evenings that you are very welcome to attend.

I hope you'll continue to participate and post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also wanted to welcome you to what I consider a great forum/community. I, too, have chronic pain, but between suboxone and zanaflex, my pain is usually manageable - although I do still have bad days and don't work because of it. I will probably be on sub for the long-haul because I simply have no other options to treat my pain. This is as good as it gets.

Again, welcome. I hope you stick around and post often. Hope to see you at the next meeting!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.