It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hi everyone
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone. I've read this forum on and off, but I've finally decided to join and hop into the discussions.

I'm 27. I started using opiates when I was eighteen. I had easy access to them from my grandmother, who basically treated them like candy. I eventually moved on to heroin when the pills weren't enough—I only weigh about 140 pounds but could take 100mg+ hydrocodone without any problems. My grandmother passed away in the Spring of 2015. I was aimless after that, ended up in a hospital detox that fall. I didn't have insurance, so the doctor basically said good luck and released me. My mom and stepfather agreed to let me come back home, but that I had to go into treatment. They got me into a local IOP program and from there I enrolled in a MAT program connected with them. It's basically a grant program that covers my prescription costs. I was prescribed Suboxone, and I've been on it since October 2015.

I'm currently on 2mg 3x a day, though usually I manage 90% of the time with just two doses a day. I'm going to taper down to twice a day at my next doctor appointment at the end of the month. The dose works well for me in covering my cravings without any impairment. That was the hard part of starting Suboxone treatment, as finding the perfect dose is crucial. When I first started, I was on 8mg 2x a day and I just wanted to sleep 24/7. There's such a stigma against Suboxone, even in the place where I get my medications and attend group therapy at. Everyone has this idea that someone on Suboxone is a zombie who is completely out of it. They're often surprised when I mention that I'm on it.

I've come such a long way, and Suboxone has played a major role in stabilizing my life. I'm working now in the healthcare field with people with severe mental health issues, saving money, and life is honestly better than it ever has been for me. I'll probably be leaving the MAT program I'm in at the beginning of the year as I'm going to sign up for a private insurance plan in November... assuming nothing happens regarding that.

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:56 am 

Hey Caeserion welcome!

There sure is a lot of stigma with buprenorphine in my area. It makes me want to just shake ppl and tell them to go look at my life before buprenorphine and then come tell me 'it's just another drug'. It really irritates me. It's never impaired me either. There's no way bupe is comparable to the opiates I used to abuse daily. I guess there's always going to be those ppl who know nothing about addiction but think they're the authority on addiction treatments. Gosh I could go on and on about ppl who love to talk negative about bupe and I'm sure we all get irritated by it. I definitely understand what ya mean about the stigma unfortunately.

I'm so glad u joined us and posted :)

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 am 

Thank you for sharing your story! I hope you plan to stick around and keep posting!

Amy