It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, hope everyone is doing good today. I started on suboxone Monday, and feeling pretty good so far. Not to sure about my doctor though. They haven't been upfront about their pricing and when I went in Monday they did not give me my first dose in the office I was put on 8mg a day. Then I had my first follow up appointment yesturday and the doctor cut my perscription in half, so I'm on 4mg a day until next Thursday when it will be brought down to 2mg a day for about a week. Next Thursday will be my last appointment apparently too. From the research I had done on suboxone treatment while I was considering it, this just seems a bit odd to me. Has anyone else had a similar experiance?

I had been taking anywhere from 1-4 30mg roxies a day, and 1 was a bad day a really good day would be 4-6 for about the past year. I tried to quit on my own back around the holidays lasted about a month. I fought with my self everyday to not start back again until right before the new year I lost my battle. I just could not take the depression and anxiety and fight the cravings too. I have to have help to beat this. I'm afraid 2 1/2 weeks on suboxone is not going to be enough. My doctor told me yesturday to start trying to find a group therapy to go to because the meds are just to detox that they don't help you to take them any longer then about 2 weeks. I'm still having some cravings not to strong though and I'm very moody; one minuite I'm all happy and acting silly and the next I'm so ill I feel like my head is about spin and pea soup is going to come flying out my mouth. :twisted: Are these normal reactions?

Post subject: DOCTOR IS OFF
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I am not a doctor but your doctor would not be my type...I think you need to try another one...I feel you need to be on sub much longer than just to detox...read Dr. J take on it in this forum and he says there is a high relapse doing it this way...

I started on 16 mg. 8 mo. ago and am now on10mg. ....no plans to quit anytime soon....don't understand your doc unless he just wants to get as many pts as he can in there for so much$$$$ a wack..

Keep us posted on your progress.. and try to find another doctor..

Sincerely,
Slipper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

twistedsgirl wrote:
Hello, hope everyone is doing good today. I started on suboxone Monday, and feeling pretty good so far. Not to sure about my doctor though. They haven't been upfront about their pricing and when I went in Monday they did not give me my first dose in the office I was put on 8mg a day. Then I had my first follow up appointment yesturday and the doctor cut my perscription in half, so I'm on 4mg a day until next Thursday when it will be brought down to 2mg a day for about a week. Next Thursday will be my last appointment apparently too. From the research I had done on suboxone treatment while I was considering it, this just seems a bit odd to me. Has anyone else had a similar experiance?

I had been taking anywhere from 1-4 30mg roxies a day, and 1 was a bad day a really good day would be 4-6 for about the past year. I tried to quit on my own back around the holidays lasted about a month. I fought with my self everyday to not start back again until right before the new year I lost my battle. I just could not take the depression and anxiety and fight the cravings too. I have to have help to beat this. I'm afraid 2 1/2 weeks on suboxone is not going to be enough. My doctor told me yesturday to start trying to find a group therapy to go to because the meds are just to detox that they don't help you to take them any longer then about 2 weeks. I'm still having some cravings not to strong though and I'm very moody; one minuite I'm all happy and acting silly and the next I'm so ill I feel like my head is about spin and pea soup is going to come flying out my mouth. :twisted: Are these normal reactions?

Here's what I would do, step-by-step:

1) I would print out some case studies..you can gather a few from the owner of this site, Dr. Junig, he's got a couple floating around. You can also gather some from a basic Google search, looking for case studies of relapse rates in 6-month or less with Suboxone.

2) I would present these to my doctor. And I would handle it this way: Go in for your appointment as normal. When they call you up for payment, you can tell them that you wish to speak to the doctor BEFORE payment, and if he doesn't agree to look into your case studies of relapse rates in people who've taken Suboxone for 6 months or less, then you tell that doctor that you're finding someone who goes by what's good for EACH patient, because what works for one person doesn't work for another, and you're not going to have some "TEMPLATE" used on you that the doctor learned about in his 8-hour Suboxone class that licensed him.

3) I would go to Suboxone.com and use the Doctor Finder, type in your zip code, and go to another doctor ANYWAY.

Chances are this quack is only doing Suboxone for the money, and knows he can only have 30 patients at a time on Suboxone for his first year of Data-2000 authorization. Data-2000 is the clause that allows doctors to give Suboxone in the office setting..they have to take a class in order to do it, and the class is nothing but some misinformation about what doctors SHOULD do for EVERY patient.

The doctors think they can apply some sort of template to all patients, and make some set period of Suboxone work for everyone, and that's just NOT THE CASE.

Your doctor needs to be INFORMED..but chances are his EGO will get in the way of being humble and actually caring about the individual patient's needs, and he'll just blow you off as another addict who wants drugs.

And by the way, the relapse rate for people who are on Suboxone for 6 months or less is OVER 90%!!!

THAT IS HUGE!!

If your doctor is interested in treating numbers, then he won't care. If he's interested in treating the disease that addiction is, then he'll care.

I'm sorry, but he's PURE wrong on his theory...and honestly, I'd put his information out there so that people don't waste their time going to see him. Once your hurt them in their wallet, they tend to be more humble. So I would advertise the doctors name and let people know how he does, that way people won't go waste time and money on something that won't help them LONG-TERM.

There ARE doctors out there who mold their treatment around YOUR needs and your individual scenario..this is the ideal doctor, so I can't guarantee you'll find one of these, but I'd DEFINITELY keep searching until you find one that's at LEAST concerned with you, and not your money!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: A different opinion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Why should the OP have to be the point person in addicts vs doctors? In my opinion it won't work. Doctors get annoyed at patients who bring them things off the internet, probably more so when an addict is doing it. I would politely tell them you are interested in longer term treatment, and maybe could they refer you to another doctor? There is no point in copping an attitude. Really Jonathon if you want to fight that fight with doctors be my guest, but to lay it on a new patient who really needs help right now is not right.

Post subject: Re: A different opinion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jimmy wrote:
Why should the OP have to be the point person in addicts vs doctors? In my opinion it won't work. Doctors get annoyed at patients who bring them things off the internet, probably more so when an addict is doing it. I would politely tell them you are interested in longer term treatment, and maybe could they refer you to another doctor? There is no point in copping an attitude. Really Jonathon if you want to fight that fight with doctors be my guest, but to lay it on a new patient who really needs help right now is not right.

NOBODY said she should play devil's advocate for a movement to change the medical community, she just needs a reason to ask for longer treatment besides HER professional medical opinion.

There's a way that works, and there's a way that doesn't work...telling a doctor you want drugs longer...yeah, that'll do.