It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hi everybody
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello All!

Just want to say how much I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with suboxone. I've been visiting this site for the last few months, but just now joined. I've been on sub since Sept. 2012, and I've been soooo happy with it so far. I had a horrible painkiller addiction for 15+ years. Went through a wretched withdrawal ONCE and stayed clean for a whopping 2 months and relapsed with a vengence! Sooo now I'm stable at 8mg. once per day ( was started on 16mg. a day, but was puking my brains out on that dose!), and I must say I feel more hopeful than ever that I'm gonna beat this addiction for good! I tell ya, sub has been a lifesaver for me! I wish it had been around to have been able to save 4 people I know that died of accidental painkiller overdoses...they'd probably be alive today if they had had the option of suboxone. Well, like I said I've really enjoyed reading everybody's comments and stories. There is so much support given and received on this forum! It's great! It's also great that this site was started by a Dr. himself who is a former addict! I beleive only an addict or former addict can truly understand our struggles! So I just want to say HELLO and I'm looking forward to joining in on some topics of discussion soon! Thanks ya'll!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to the forums Sublaura,

That's great to hear how Suboxone has helped you kick those nasty pain pills. It did the same for me.

Congrats on being clean!

-WTBF

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really appreciate your welcoming me to the forums WTBF! There sure seems to be alot of great, friendly, supportive people around here! Glad to know sub has helped you also! :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It was three years ago July 11th that I had my youngest son. I was on subs thru pregnancy and stayed sober. My love, GP tried to get on subs but kept going back and forth until four days after his son was born. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I woke up, took care of our son, and looked at him.. I thought to myself "I can't wait for you to get up and see yourself" I was sober but i still believed that i could will him to stop.. if he could just see how bad they are....Then I understood that something was much different...worst than id ever seen and when I touched his stomach to wake him I felt the cold. Cold is not the best description.. Freezing into my finger tips thru my spine... I still feel that cold on my finger tips sometimes, it will never go away!! That was it... We were left without him... And here I am now.. Four long years without him, fighting with myself about being on suboxone, reading things on the Internet making me scared to death to stop suboxone, and then I realize that it could have been me... 3 kids and no mother.. I often wonder if he died for us. Perhaps his death will keep my children from ever touching drugs. It's the only way I can deal with it for now. I'm past blaming people, blaming myself, I can only try to understand what the reasoning was. Why someone went to surgery, released to recover, and filled a long battle with pills at the pharmacy that lead to his death. Yes, I would say suboxone, methadone, quitting cold turkey, whatever your choice is... its got to be better than the life we were living!! Good luck everyone!!! Congrats to all for takin ur lives back only we know how hard it is!!
~RIP GP~
Charley

Post subject: Welcome to Both of You
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am 

Hi Sublaura and Charley,

Normally we like to welcome new members one at a time but you both are here at once so it will save me some typing. Welcome to our recovery forum. If you've been reading the posts then you might have noticed a lot of us are still on Suboxone. There are many who are now struggling to get off of it, others who have succeeded and are doing okay. We welcome you to read all the posts you can when you find the time.

This site has a lot of members joining up recently so you'll notice a lot of people here posting in most all the sections. Feel free to ask any questions, whether you feel they're dumb or not. It's just that there is a ton of info here and it's overwhelming sometimes.

Charley, my condolences on you losing your partner. I can't even imagine the pain you've gone through dealing with that one. And I agree, it's too bad you couldn't get him to stay on Sub continually. These are the things we see all the time when dealing with addiction.

And same with you Sublaura. Four gone due to this disease is terrible. We are all so very glad you both found this site.

Pull up a chair, grab something to drink, and post away!

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a fatal disease. Sometimes we tend to forget that.

Welcome to this suboxone forum!

Whethr or not its a pro or anti suboxone forum is unclear as of late lol. Surely isnt a recovery forum because nobody ever really talks about recovery anymore. Lol. Most all of the posts are about how the got off/are getting off or cheering someone else on who is attempting to get off.

So. Just a heads up.

When the posts started that trashed the doctor who created this forum...i lost a little faith.

Used to be much different before the anti suboxone/need to get off asap movement started.

I mean. Dr. J is only a doctor/addict that deals witg addicts on suboxone everyday....but....what does he know in comparison to a 22 year old that used oxys for a few months lol.

Dont listen to me. Im just the crazy guy that believes addicts should stay on suboxone until they if ever get enough solid recovery to stop, that opiate addiction is a very powerful disease that should never be underestimated, and that suboxone allows people to think they have it whipped so they dont need meetings or anything....until they think getting off is a good idea and relapse.

...i have jumped off before. Stayed clean for 10 montgs and went back on. So. Recovery is most important. Subs dont matter at all unless you are working on yourself. So. If you just take subs and dont work on yourself via some sort of recovery program....dont even think about jumping off. This is why it bugs me to no end for some reason....folks that just take subs as a miracle cure for several years and then try to jump off and relapse or struggle really bad...AND BLAME SUBOXONE! Blah. Done now. Just sayin. Watch it unfold...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you rule62 and moviemaker1 for your responses. Yes moviemaker I have noticed ALOT of folks here trying to get off suboxone. As for myself...I'm not in any hurry! I'm just enjoying being able to function like a normal human being for now! :) My addiction had caused me so much grief and sorrow (destroyed marriage, job loss, financial disaster, etc.), and I'm lucky to be alive quite frankly! My subdoc happens to be my psychiatrist (she's awesome btw), so I'm getting therapy in addition to sub. She dosen't give drug tests or count my films or anything like that...she's really a cool person! I feel lucky to have her as my doctor since I hear so many others here who have dr.'s giving them UA's and counting their pills, etc. I would hate to have to deal with that! Sorry...I'm rambling on...anyway I plan on staying on sub for as long as I feel I need to...not even thinking about stopping ANY TIME SOON!
Charley- my condolences to you also for your loss. That is so sad and tragic and I know how terrible it is to lose a loved one to this horrible disease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Uh Oh, I think we have another Team Coco member? LOL

I'm glad you found your way to Suboxone. After 15 years of dancing with the devil, I'm sure your elated to have found Suboxone.

You mentioned how you attempted to get off pain killers once and "only" made it two months. When I tried getting off pain killers, I only lasted 1 month, so you beat me there!!!

I'm glad you're considering staying on Suboxone for as long as YOU feel it's necessary, I think that's the best move.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Sublaura!

Charley wrote:
It was three years ago July 11th that I had my youngest son. I was on subs thru pregnancy and stayed sober. My love, GP tried to get on subs but kept going back and forth until four days after his son was born. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I woke up, took care of our son, and looked at him.. I thought to myself "I can't wait for you to get up and see yourself" I was sober but i still believed that i could will him to stop.. if he could just see how bad they are....Then I understood that something was much different...worst than id ever seen and when I touched his stomach to wake him I felt the cold. Cold is not the best description.. Freezing into my finger tips thru my spine... I still feel that cold on my finger tips sometimes, it will never go away!! That was it... We were left without him... And here I am now.. Four long years without him, fighting with myself about being on suboxone, reading things on the Internet making me scared to death to stop suboxone, and then I realize that it could have been me... 3 kids and no mother.. I often wonder if he died for us. Perhaps his death will keep my children from ever touching drugs. It's the only way I can deal with it for now. I'm past blaming people, blaming myself, I can only try to understand what the reasoning was. Why someone went to surgery, released to recover, and filled a long battle with pills at the pharmacy that lead to his death. Yes, I would say suboxone, methadone, quitting cold turkey, whatever your choice is... its got to be better than the life we were living!! Good luck everyone!!! Congrats to all for takin ur lives back only we know how hard it is!!
~RIP GP~
Charley

Charley,

I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing, I can't imagine what it's like to lose your partner and so soon after giving birth. My heart aches for you. My Mom died of a heroin OD just after I turned 3. My parents had split up by then and she had a new boyfriend who was a dealer. She was with her boyfriend and a couple other people getting high in an apartment and she died before she could pull the needle out. They panicked and didn't know what to do with her so they took her to the basement and left her there. She wasn't found for days. I wish I knew my mom because despite her drug addiction she seemed like a wonderful person. She was just 22 when she died. I used to think when I was growing up that she died for me and had saved me from making the mistakes she did but somehow I found my way to her path anyway. Regardless, I still think she saved me because I always had a healthy fear of dying. I never thought I was invincible even while I was actively using. I was always paranoid about doing too much while everyone around me was trying to do as much as they could. I think that helped me get to where I am today. I hope it's different for your child, I am sure it will be.

Hang in there and welcome. *hugs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sublaura wrote:
Thank you rule62 and moviemaker1 for your responses. Yes moviemaker I have noticed ALOT of folks here trying to get off suboxone. As for myself...I'm not in any hurry! I'm just enjoying being able to function like a normal human being for now! :) My addiction had caused me so much grief and sorrow (destroyed marriage, job loss, financial disaster, etc.), and I'm lucky to be alive quite frankly! My subdoc happens to be my psychiatrist (she's awesome btw), so I'm getting therapy in addition to sub. .

hello, & welcome :wink:

I just wanted to share with you, there's NOTHING WRONG with not being in any kind of a hurry,,,,
im certainly not either.... I also used for over ten years, and lost just about EVERYTHING imaginable,
more than once, to my addiction, and yes,
sometimes it's ENOUGH FEAR of going back, I just feel like "dont FIX what isn't BROKEN"
because
the last 21 months have really been the longest EVER I've not used drugs... probably even if you added up all my LITTLE bits of sobriety, it wouldn't amount to how long I have NOW.....

THATS GREAT that you get along well with your doctor,too!!!
I too, got LUCKY there, I really get along well with him, NOWADAYS, anyways!! at first it was a bit of a rocky road, but
I don't hold a grudge. :wink:

So, that's about it,,, you know there's times where even I have read enough "going off subs" stories on here, i start to
question WHY I'm "still" on suboxone,
but then I usually get KNOCKED back into reality (you know who you are,& thankyou)
and REMEMBER that 10 or 12 years of opiate addiction is nothing to play with,
especially when your IV'ing and stopping at NOTHING To be NOT DOPE SICK at then end.......

so what's wrong with STAYING on suboxone awhile, , , , forever, , , whatever........

HANG IN THERE,
keep fighting the good fight and if you have any questions about anything just ASK!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning fellow suboxians! :D Thank you Romeo and Amber for your kind replies! I really do appreciate your encouragement and support! You guys are the BEST!

BTW Romeo, what is a Coco member? Lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your avatar....Conan O'Brien!! His fans are called Team Coco!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 pm 

Welcome to our forum!

I think that what we strive to do here is to encourage everyone, no matter where they are in their recovery. If it seems like we are all contributing to threads about stopping suboxone, it's only because those are the threads where someone is asking for help or needs encouragement. Personally, I am VERY pro-suboxone! I think it's a wonderful tool, especially for those who have found it difficult to maintain sobriety any other way. I am also tapering my sub use with a plan to stop at some point. It's not because I hate sub or have terrible side effects, etc. It's only because I believe I can handle my addiction without the medication. If I get off suboxone and find that I can't handle the cravings, I will gladly go back on sub!

The squeaky wheel around here ends up getting the grease. We are equally congratulatory to folks who share their good news about suboxone. Like in most situations, however, people post when they are having a negative experience much more often than when they are happy with the world.

Sublaura and Charley, I hope you stick around and let us know more about you both!

Amy

There's always failure. And there's always disappointment. And there's always loss. But the secret is learning from the loss, and realizing that none of those holes are vacuums.
Michael J. Fox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Haha Romeo, I didn't know that's what they call Conan's fans? I do like him, just haven't watched his show lately.
Thank you Amy for the welcome! I know you guys seem to be supportive of EVERYBODY here, whether they are happy with sub, not happy, or tapering. I appreciate your support and encouragement also, and wish you success with your tapering too! How is that going for you btw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:48 am 

The taper is going pretty well! I've spent almost a year getting from 16 mg/day to 2.5 mg now. I basically took last summer off from tapering because I traveled a lot. Last week I felt my dose for the first time EVER and it kind of freaked me out. I'm just kind of powering through that disconcerting feeling, and I'm feeling it less and less. When I drop again I will probably start feeling it again and then it will fade away as I stabilize on the next dose.

Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck in your journey. Like I said, it's good to have you here!

Amy

Post subject: Thank you all
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For you warm welcomes. It's been a few days since I was able to sign on which was kind of a nice change because I think I was stuck on this sight for a couple of weeks as I was making my way down on the mg. I have certainly not been in any rush to get off of subs. I was on 16 mg for 3 years, then to 8, then 6, now 4!!! I was down to 2 at one point but amazingly you can still relapse after waking up to the person you love dead at your side. It's actually shocking to me that I could touch pills after that but it happened. Even when it was in my face, and I learned first hand it could happen to me, there is still that devil on your back saying you can do it just one more time!! So it's definitely been long hard work but I really feel that for me, today, I am ok where I'm at. If I am able to go lower then good for me and if I need to stay where I'm at then good for me.. I think that the minute we start to pressure ourselves is when it takes a turn for the worst. In November I was so stressed about staying on subs forever and asking if I swapped one for another, and asking if I was considered sober... Then I found this sight and it reminded me of the days that I spent my bill money just to not be sick, the days that I dropped everything to run out to meet someone, the late nights I sat up wondering if I would run out or how I would get enough money together to get more.... It's not about being on subs forever its about staying off of opiates forever and the quality of life.. Being on subs has gave me a much better quality of life and my children and that's what matters!!
I did notice that there are some people bashing others, making ignorant comments, and "knowing more than the Dr." It's truly amazing that after going through hell and back some people can find such irrelevant issues. I have learned that some things just aren't worth it. I don't know how anyone can nit pick after battling opiates. They have certainly taught me to pick my battles, never throw stones because I live in a house enclosed in glass, and that there are so many important things to think about...why sweat the small stuff.. Not sure why people feel the need to look for support sights and bash the people on them but they obviously haven't had the trials in life we have had and perhaps should... I don't know... Get a life!! Lol