It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 am



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Every Day Appearance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 1019
Location: Buffalo New York
Well I have been thinking about start this thread now for a couple weeks and just didn’t know how to word it or put it. So since starting methadone I now have to go to a clinic every day to get my meds and it has really opened up my eyes to this way of treatment for opiate addiction as in the clinic setting and having to go ever day. I mean really this topic always comes up when switching to methadone and is a huge negative but it really might not be such a bad idea. I know a lot of you if not all of you will disagree with me but truly think that in the early stages of treatment for opiate addiction would bring much more success to recovering addicts if having to go to get your dose on a daily basis till you are ready for take homes whether suboxone or methadone. Because we as addicts in early recovery are just not ready to be handed a script of strong opiates and be told come back in a month. I know people will say well methadone and suboxone are much different but we would be lying if we said that our suboxone did not get us high in the early weeks of treatment and even buzzed for a few months after and even some still get some type of buzz from it after being on it for a while.

And I just don’t think that is safe for any addicts and I guess that is why we always see threads from people who just started, running out of meds early because the dose the DR started he or she on were just not enough to get them through the day and won’t see a DR for up to 3 or 4 weeks were does that leave them, but a perfect set up for relapsing. But if you were seeing nurses and counselors every day in the early stages you would be able to tell this to the DR and work with a DR to find the right dose instead of having to fell like shit for 2 or 4 weeks till you see the DR again. And of course make the diversion rates go way down which would be great for all of us and new comers as well. And over time once you prove you are ready and have no dirty UAs, attend your groups and 1 on 1s you thank earn the right to get take homes scripts whatever you want to call it but I think you should have to earn these rights. Because we are addicts and don’t do well with a large sum of meds when first starting.

I don’t know I could keep going on and on as to why I think this would be a much more successful way of opiate addiction treatment for suboxone. Basiclly what I am saying is suboxone should be no different than a methadone clinic setting you must go every day till you earn the right not too.


And I know a lot of people are going to say well I don’t have time to drive to a clinic every day! I am a full time student with a full time job if I can do it you can too and I have 2 serious injuries so please don’t use that as an excuse. I mean there are def certain acceptations to this so I do understand some peoples reasoning. But at the same time if you saw some of the people at my clinic and the health issues they haven but still make it to the clinic every day than the majority of you could too. And I also heard a person say this in my group before people complain about having to go to a clinic every day to get there meds but when they were actively using had no problems going out every day or somewhere to get there dope so what is the problem now.

_________________
Yes these drugs saved our life's. But does that mean we have to give the rest of our life to these drugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: Leesburg, FL
I'm sure we've talked about this in a thread before. I remember discussing it with you, Bboy, don't you? Regardless, I believe you make the mistake of assuming all people starting addiction/suboxone treatment have the very same - I mean the EXACT same - addiction treatment needs, and that's just SO not true. We're all different, you know that.

Besides, as I understand it, the entire point of the DATA 2000 Act was to provide addiction treatment that is office-based. It's meant to be the way it is. I hear you that you disagree with it. But that's pretty much what suboxone is specifically for - office-based treatment, at least in the US.

People that need or want it always have the option of going with a methadone clinic just like you do. And I think it's great that both options are available. That's what's important, providing available options for all different kinds of people with addiction.

_________________
-As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:55 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 am
Posts: 4028
Location: Sitting at my computer
It's my understanding that the reason Suboxone was approved for office based treatment was due to the Naloxone content, it wasn't so much that Buprenorphine isn't a powerful opiate. The Naloxone was supposed to prevent people from abusing Suboxone.

The fact of the matter is this, Suboxone is widely available on the street because it can be abused. An 8mg pill goes for $15 to $20 in my area. Once the media gets a hold of this and starts making a big stink about it, I'm afraid Suboxone will soon thereafter be treated much like Methadone, being available in a clinic type setting only.

The tragic thing is the pain meds that got a lot of us into trouble will always be available straight from your doctor.

We addicts are treated like second class citizens......at best.

_________________
Be kind to yourself. Our character defects do NOT define who we are!


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
People in my country and the UK need to do exactly that bboy. We need to pickup our doses from the pharmacy or clinic each day, and eventually when we gain the trust of our doctor, we can be prescribed up to 5 take-homes each week.

If you miss 3 doses in a row, you get kicked off the program.

It's really not a bad system, and it no doubt decreases dose diversion and makes sure that only people who are honest and recovery focused stay on the program. Where it sucks is (a) travel. Organising a large number of take-aways for travel is difficult. Getting over a months supply for long trips is incredibly difficult to negotiate. Travelling interstate for even one month can require getting another doctor interstate and getting dispensed over there, and there are often big waiting lists!

Also convenience. There have been times I've had to go back to my side of the city when staying with my girlfriend only to get my dose and some take-aways. Also when starting out without take-aways, your work / study hours need to bend around the pharmacy open hours.

It's good in that it weeds out those who aren't recovery focused, and they usually drop off the program fairly quickly. It's bad for everyone who is recovery focused, like us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Every Day Appearance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:41 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 am
Posts: 1496
Bboy42287 wrote:
And I know a lot of people are going to say well I don’t have time to drive to a clinic every day! I am a full time student with a full time job if I can do it you can too and I have 2 serious injuries so please don’t use that as an excuse. I mean there are def certain acceptations to this so I do understand some peoples reasoning. But at the same time if you saw some of the people at my clinic and the health issues they haven but still make it to the clinic every day than the majority of you could too. And I also heard a person say this in my group before people complain about having to go to a clinic every day to get there meds but when they were actively using had no problems going out every day or somewhere to get there dope so what is the problem now.


I love it when people say things like this. Well, if I can do it then anyone can!

The fact is, Bboy, that it just isn't true. I think it's great that you have a full time job and go to school and you still get to the clinic every day.

What would you do if you were also the single parent of a few kids?

And you didn't have a car or reliable transportation?

And you had a serious mental illness to contend with as well?

What if your full time job's hours conflicted with the methadone clinic?

And it was on the other side of the city?

I started my Suboxone treatment in a clinical study, and I DID have to go to the VA every day to get my dose. And after the first week, I found it annoying and unnecessasary. (The first week, I just found it annoying).

I think it would be great if Sub doctors would induce their patients properly in the office and maybe have earlier follow-up visits for needed dose-adjustments, but on the other hand I wouldn't want people to be priced out of treatment by having to visit a doctor so frequently. I think probably the best thing would be for doctors to do a full assessment of each patient and then have some flexibility built into the program to adjust for each person's individual needs.

I think I have said this before on the forum as well, but I looked into methadone treatment in my city but the only clinics were 45-60 minutes away (one way) by car, which would be 75-90 minutes by bus. Two-three hours out of my day just travelling to get my dose made this recovery option not feasable for me. Not to mention that I didn't think the level of my addiction warranted it. I'm really really glad that you're not in charge of these decisions Bboy, and I hope that as you continue your studies to become an addiction counselor you develop and grow in your ability to see the truth in what Hatmaker pointed out up there: This is not a one-size-fits-all disease, and your experience doesn't automatically apply to everyone.

_________________
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

-Jack Kornfield


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
I have to respectully disagree, I agree with Hat in that we all had different circumstances that lead us to Sub in the first place. I for one didn't go out on a daily basis to score drugs. Infact I only bought them illegally twice thru my addiction. I just took too many of my script and then would have to make do to get thru to my next refil. There is no possible way I could go to a clinic everyday. For one it is an hour drive to the closest methadone clininc and I am not talking about rush hour either. I have 4 children ages 5, 3 and 10 month old twins who I am their sole care giver as my husband leaves the house at 6am every morning. So I would have to get my 5 year old off to school then load up my kids drive an hour or longer to take them to a drug clinic. I would never expose my children to that and can't imagine spending almost half of every day getting my sub.

Do you have some people who go thru it too quickly in the beginning? Yeah of course but they soon learn it is pointless as more does not even give you a better buzz (if that's what you want to call it) and they will be hurting until their refil. Also most Dr.s see you more in the first month or two. When I started I had to go back in a week then another week then 2 weeks and then started monthly visits.

Methadone is much different then sub because it can get you high just like any other opiate. Methadone is much easier to get on the streets here than Sub, so the diversion of meth is much higher where I live. I have also read a lot of posts on here and other forums that say they eventually began abusing there meth when they got take homes so the chance for abuse is always there unless there are never any take homes. In my opinion people want sobriety more in there early stages of treatment, I think as time goes on it is easy to become relaxed about recovery, they forget the bad and think "I can get high just once more" and then bam. So I think an addict is susceptible to abuse at any time not just in early recovery.

I for one would not have started Sub if I had to go to a clinic everyday as it is just not possible so I am glad Sub is available thru a prescription because who knows where I would be right now. I wonder how many other people would have not started Suboxone for the same reason. I do not think making a life saving medication harder to get makes any sense to me but again this is just my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:52 pm 
Hmm, you're right, I do disagree. Office based BMT is by no means perfect but I believe that it allows much more freedom and flexibility for doctors to do what RULE 31 dictates has to be done in the field of chemical dependency treatment, which is individualize treatment per client needs. Not everyone can be placed comfortably into a cookie cutter mold...opiate addict or not. The only thing opiate addicts have completely in common with other opiate addicts is that they are opiate addicts. Rules and regulations governing MMT clinics on the other hand (very unfortunately) offer NO flexibility in that the rules are the rules are the rules for EVERYONE, no exceptions due to federal guidelines. I believe that that mindset is outdated...certainly pre-2000!

-Travis


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:52 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 1019
Location: Buffalo New York
Oh like I said I knew everyone would disagree with me so no surprise to read some of the comments but that does not change my view that the success rate would go up tremendously if this was the case. Like I said DOQ there are def certain acceptations to people being able to go to a clinic every day, but that doesn’t stop them from going to work every day or picking up their kids from school or whatever it maybe. I think a lot of you missed what I was trying to say if this was how things were done you would not have to drive to the only methadone clinic in your area you would be driving to your Sub Dr office that you go to now to get your dose. And I understand not every opiate addict is the same that’s and every single patient would be treated as an individual that would not change. And if the DR sees you fit to get scripts after the first week of coming every day than that is wonderful but I think each person should have to be evaluated before this to decide if they can handle that responsibility right away, most addicts are not whether you want to admit it or not. And I understand that this would be a huge pain in the ass for people but is our health not that important to take these extremes??????????

I mean I know I could not trust myself with a bottle of pills for 12 years so how come I am all the sudden ready because I the pills are a different medication now? But still is an opiate and will still get me some type of high is all i am trying to say.

_________________
Yes these drugs saved our life's. But does that mean we have to give the rest of our life to these drugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Cost
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 pm
Posts: 391
Sub treatment is so expensive as it is.....As we know most Dr's do not take insurance and we have to pay out of pocket. What you are suggesting is even more money for people to have to come up with to see a Sub Doc to get their meds.

I feel the reason it is so expensive now is that it gives me the ease of seeing a Dr and once stable getting my monthly prescription. Trust me if I had to go every day for awhile it may not be an option for me......that's why I am not on methadone. That type of treatment does not meet with my current situation.

I am only thankful that I can afford to see my Sub Doc who just raised his rates......again. Why make this more difficult for the addict bboy........the less people that can get on sub treatment because of new stricter guidelines that you are proposing would me more lives lost to this disease. This is only my opinion.

Jim


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:06 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:45 pm
Posts: 833
it's a good thing that not every body's an addict. we would need school buses to transport back and forth to methadone clinics. suboxone takes away some the feeling of being incarcerated. yes b-boy". if a addict has a criminal record in early recovery transfer to meth clinics.
i started out a pain patient and still consider to be one and may be having surgery in the future. and like reraise said" i bot a couple from the street. i went out last night to a lounge with a couple fam and friends. felt good about my self, and gave them a ride home and every thing was safe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
I just do not see it, you say you couldn't be trusted with suboxone. Did you take more to try to get high? And if so how long did it last? Are you not in recovery and have been for a long time? So even if you did try to get high off your sub in the beginning you figured out it was a waste of time and have been clean for a long time because of starting sub. I have only been on 4 months and have not abused my sub once, so just because you can't be trusted does not mean that applies to all of us. I still do not see how going to your Dr. everyday would stop someone from taking more than necesary. All you would have to do is tell the Dr. you are getting cravings and need a higher dose, so you could get more anyway. I see no reason to make sub even harder and more expensive to get on. I would rather it be easier and have more lives saved. Like I said I have 4 very young children, the nearest sub Dr. is an hour away. There is no way I would have started sub if it meant taking my children with me on a 3 hour venture to a drug clinic everyday. I am thankful that things are not done this way, who know's where I would be. This is the old guilty until proven innocent thing. Why can't we be innocent until proven guilty. If someone is abusing there sub and running out early then by all means put stricter guidelines on them, but I see no reason to punish everyone for the mistakes of a few.

Now Methadone is different and understand why it is done the way it is. If someone had given me a bottle of methadone I probably would have abused it because it can get you high, some say even more than your doc. To put the two in the same class and say they both should be over seen the same to me makes no sense.

Then there are other issues, did you read the post from the guy in Australia who's mom was put on sub? She was not given enough and because she had to wait to go back to the clinic she was forced to suffer until it opened. Had she been here and had a script she could have taken more sub and not been made to suffer. So this would inevitably happen to people and in my opinion would cause more relapses. Patients start sub so they do not have to suffer and if they are on day one what's to stop them from saying screw this I'll just get back on drugs.

Again I am saying all of this with the upmost respect but to me there are far to many negatives to correct a problem that would correct itself anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:47 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
I forgot a question, what about people like me who use sub both to treat my addiction and pain? I dose 3 times a day to control my pain. So I would either be forced to dose once a day and suffer in pain for the remainder of the day after the pain killing properties wore off or drive back and forth to my sub dr. 3 times a day? Being it's an hour away I guess I would just have to move in. So what happens to us?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:49 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 1019
Location: Buffalo New York
B4 I start my post I don’t know where you guys came up with you would have to go to a methadone clinic. YOU WOULD ALL STILL BE ON SUBOXONE! I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE TO STOP SUBOXONE AND START METHADONE!

LOL you guys are looking way to deep into this!
The meaning of this thread is to discuss if a clinic setting for suboxone would be more successful for treating opiate addiction. That’s It nothing more than that, I of course knew everyone would disagree because of the simple fact they would not want to have to go to get there meds every day. I am asking you to over look that, go back the very beginning of your induction with suboxone. And ask yourself do you think you might have got off to a better start of your treatment if you saw the DR every day for the first week or two?

_________________
Yes these drugs saved our life's. But does that mean we have to give the rest of our life to these drugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 pm 
Bboy42287 wrote:
And ask yourself do you think you might have got off to a better start of your treatment if you saw the DR every day for the first week or two?


The only problem is that it would not be a week or two in what you are proposing, when guidelines are created for things like this it's one week=seven days=no exception for any reason, no casual one or two weeks; the word 'or' doesn't exist when regulations come into play. But typical of federal guidelines it would likely be a lot longer than a week. Isn't it currently at least one month to get one take-home dose? People have to go to methadone clinics multiple times a week for months and do not get 28 days worth of doses for two years. I do agree that ideally BMT patients should have more contact with their doctors until they are on a maintenance dose, but in the MMT world, everyone has to go to the clinic for two years and be on a maintenance dose before they are able to get 28 days worth of medication which as I stated is cookie-cutter and not individualized at all.

-T


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 1019
Location: Buffalo New York
travispnorton wrote:
Bboy42287 wrote:
And ask yourself do you think you might have got off to a better start of your treatment if you saw the DR every day for the first week or two?


The only problem is that it would not be a week or two in what you are proposing, when guidelines are created for things like this it's one week=seven days=no exception for any reason, no casual one or two weeks; the word 'or' doesn't exist when regulations come into play. But typical of federal guidelines it would likely be a lot longer than a week. Isn't it currently at least one month to get one take-home dose? People have to go to methadone clinics multiple times a week for months and do not get 28 days worth of doses for two years. I do agree that ideally BMT patients should have more contact with their doctors until they are on a maintenance dose, but in the MMT world, everyone has to go to the clinic for two years and be on a maintenance dose before they are able to get 28 days worth of medication which as I stated is cookie-cutter and not individualized at all.

-T



I got to disagree with you methadone clinics and take homes are very individualized. There is one person at my clinic who has been there for 2 years and doesn’t even get weekend take homes because of her record with the clinic. Like I said before whether suboxone or methadone you should have to earn the right to get take homes in my opinion. And I have been there for 5 months now and just the other day my counselor brought up weekend take homes I didn’t even mention it or say anything about it but because of how I portrayed myself at the clinic and how well I am doing at the program in every aspect he brought it up and told me that once stable and done with increases it will happen a lot sooner than later.

_________________
Yes these drugs saved our life's. But does that mean we have to give the rest of our life to these drugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 am
Posts: 13
I respectfully, yet intensely disagree with the original posters comment that "folks would be lying if they said that they didn't get high, or get a buzz, from suboxone for the first few weeks of treatment" or something to that effect. I didn't quote the orig. poster exactly and I'm to lazy to cut and paste, but still, it is NOT a true statement AT ALL. I am on day five and I have yet to feel one thing from this drug except NORMAL (whatever that is). I simply feel like a man who is feeling no withdrawals. I am on 16 mgs a day. I was disappointed at frist because I would sit around and wait for some kind of feeling...even a small one! And waited and waited and waited and....nothing. But I have no craving for oxy's or hydro's. So there is a fair amount of natural euphoria in that fact alone because I craved those things for years, daily. It was an unrelenting craving and seeking to satisfy that craving. That is the benefit that I get from this drug. The Dr sent me home with a script for sixty of the 8mgs tabs. And except for day two, when I took three instead of two, all of my pills are there in the dang bottle. Trust me on this! If there was the least little slight bit of a buzz AT ALL, there would not be many pills left in that bottle. My fellow opiate addicts can attest to this. We would not...could not take our meds as directed by the Dr. We just couldn't!!! But except for one tablet, all of my Sub tabs are accounted for. I have not even taken my full 16 mgs today!! I have 12 mgs in my system and plan on going to bed with that same amount. Now........if it was 30 mg roxicodone tabs in that bottle, you could shake it and MIGHT hear one or two pills rattlin around in there. So......that is why I take issue with the statement in the first post of this thread saying that if we are catching a buzz or something to that effect! Sounds like the talk of a person who hasn't taken subs. Thanks for letting me share.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:09 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 am
Posts: 1019
Location: Buffalo New York
TennTom wrote:
I respectfully, yet intensely disagree with the original posters comment that "folks would be lying if they said that they didn't get high, or get a buzz, from suboxone for the first few weeks of treatment" or something to that effect. I didn't quote the orig. poster exactly and I'm to lazy to cut and paste, but still, it is NOT a true statement AT ALL. I am on day five and I have yet to feel one thing from this drug except NORMAL (whatever that is). I simply feel like a man who is feeling no withdrawals. I am on 16 mgs a day. I was disappointed at frist because I would sit around and wait for some kind of feeling...even a small one! And waited and waited and waited and....nothing. But I have no craving for oxy's or hydro's. So there is a fair amount of natural euphoria in that fact alone because I craved those things for years, daily. It was an unrelenting craving and seeking to satisfy that craving. That is the benefit that I get from this drug. The Dr sent me home with a script for sixty of the 8mgs tabs. And except for day two, when I took three instead of two, all of my pills are there in the dang bottle. Trust me on this! If there was the least little slight bit of a buzz AT ALL, there would not be many pills left in that bottle. But except for one tablet, all of my Sub tabs are accounted for. I have not even taken my full 16 mgs today!! I have 12 mgs in my system and plan on going to bed with that same amount. Now........if it was 30 mg roxicodone tabs in that bottle, you could shake it and MIGHT hear one or two pills rattlin around in there. So......that is why I take issue with the statement in the first post of this thread saying that if we are catching a buzz or something to that effect! Sounds like the talk of a person who hasn't taken subs. Thanks for letting me share.




I was on suboxone for 5 years I think that qualifies for time on suboxone lol. And you are the only person I have ever seen post on this forum that said they did not get high or buzzed from suboxone when they first started so you must be the acceptation to that statement lol. But your post is a perfect example of why I think suboxone should not be prescribed so freely for the first couple weeks or even days fine. You said “My fellow opiate addicts can attest to this. We would not...could not take our meds as directed by the Dr. We just couldn't!!!” and besides you all of us got high from suboxone when we first started so this would be a problem for a lot of people but NOT EVERYONE BECAUSE not everyone thinks like that but even strong minded people cant control themselves sometimes when it comes to opiates.

_________________
Yes these drugs saved our life's. But does that mean we have to give the rest of our life to these drugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 am
Posts: 13
Bboy42287 wrote:
TennTom wrote:
I respectfully, yet intensely disagree with the original posters comment that "folks would be lying if they said that they didn't get high, or get a buzz, from suboxone for the first few weeks of treatment" or something to that effect. I didn't quote the orig. poster exactly and I'm to lazy to cut and paste, but still, it is NOT a true statement AT ALL. I am on day five and I have yet to feel one thing from this drug except NORMAL (whatever that is). I simply feel like a man who is feeling no withdrawals. I am on 16 mgs a day. I was disappointed at frist because I would sit around and wait for some kind of feeling...even a small one! And waited and waited and waited and....nothing. But I have no craving for oxy's or hydro's. So there is a fair amount of natural euphoria in that fact alone because I craved those things for years, daily. It was an unrelenting craving and seeking to satisfy that craving. That is the benefit that I get from this drug. The Dr sent me home with a script for sixty of the 8mgs tabs. And except for day two, when I took three instead of two, all of my pills are there in the dang bottle. Trust me on this! If there was the least little slight bit of a buzz AT ALL, there would not be many pills left in that bottle. But except for one tablet, all of my Sub tabs are accounted for. I have not even taken my full 16 mgs today!! I have 12 mgs in my system and plan on going to bed with that same amount. Now........if it was 30 mg roxicodone tabs in that bottle, you could shake it and MIGHT hear one or two pills rattlin around in there. So......that is why I take issue with the statement in the first post of this thread saying that if we are catching a buzz or something to that effect! Sounds like the talk of a person who hasn't taken subs. Thanks for letting me share.




I was on suboxone for 5 years I think that qualifies for time on suboxone lol. And you are the only person I have ever seen post on this forum that said they did not get high or buzzed from suboxone when they first started so you must be the acceptation to that statement lol. But your post is a perfect example of why I think suboxone should not be prescribed so freely for the first couple weeks or even days fine. You said “My fellow opiate addicts can attest to this. We would not...could not take our meds as directed by the Dr. We just couldn't!!!” and besides you all of us got high from suboxone when we first started so this would be a problem for a lot of people but NOT EVERYONE BECAUSE not everyone thinks like that but even strong minded people cant control themselves sometimes when it comes to opiates.

So I guess that in a round-a-bout way that you are calling me a liar. I said that I don't feel one damn thing, and that's what I meant. I may be taking it wrong, or the ones who get a whiz from it have found a way to get it into them where it prouces an affect. If I WAS high, I would have lost my damn buzz reading this thread. So you think that subs should be administered daily from a clinic. In other words, tighter regulations. Sounds like you might even be for more government involvement. Bigger government. As in liberal ideologies. No wonder there's friction between us. You can save your typing finger if ya wanting to fire back a scathing retort. Hell will freeze solid before I visit this particular thread again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:58 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
Ok Bboy this is the part I am not getting, even if a person gets a bit of a buzz in the beginning of their Sub use it does not last and because of the ceiling taking more and more is not going to make you feel anymore buzzed. So if in the first couple weeks someone is taking extra sub 1 they are going to learn it does nothing to strengthen the buzz and realize it is a waste and stop or 2 they will continue taking more even though it does nothing and run out early. At which point they would have to tell their Dr or go thru withdrawl. So like I said earlier it is a problem (if it happens) that will correct itself. I understand why methadone is done the way it is because taking more will get you higher but with Sub that is not the case. All of us here (including you) are doing pretty good and we all got scripts. Rather than the extreme you are suggesting why not say that Dr.s should be more involved in the beginning. My Dr. had me come back at one week, then another week and then 2 weeks before I went to monthly appointments. I also had him call and check on me and he gave me his personal cell number incase I had any problems. The other reason I feel this is overkill is that if you feel you need a higher dose in most cases all you have to do is tell your Dr. and he will prescribe a higher dose so if a person wanted to take more sub than needed they could still easily do it if they were forced to dose at the office by saying they are still having cravings.

As for me I did get buzzed in the beginning and still feel my dose most of the time (not a buzz more of a relaxed feeling) but I have never abused my sub, when I felt I needed more to control my cravings all I had to do was tell my Dr. and he gave me a higher dose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: Leesburg, FL
Like breezy's experience, my first sub doctor had me visiting him very frequently - every week until I stabilized. I didn't transfer to my current doctor for about 7 months after I started treatment. This doctor I see every 3 months and I've now been on sub nearly 3 years. And from being around here so long, I can easily recall many, many people having the same increased oversight in their early treatment. So I highly doubt that this is unusual.

_________________
-As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group